the person after me game

Moderator:JackFrost

Antea
Re: the person after me game

Postby Antea » 2016-10-19, 5:30

linguoboy wrote:Only stylistic points here: who is strongly preferred for humans (although that is also heard) and if you're going to go the he/she route, be consistent. I strongly recommend, however, that everyone here adopt singular they. It's by far the most common form nowadays, making he/she sound pretty awkward. (Not to speak of generic he, which sounds unbelievably stuffy nowadays.)

[Alternatively, if you'd like to practice a particularly formal register in your posts, consider flagging them so we'll have a better idea what corrections to apply. My default assumption is that people are using a casual written register of the type appropriate for (e.g.) writing an e-mail to a friend or colleague.]

Sorry, I have never lived in an English speaking country, so they are uses of the language that I'm not still familiar with (just what I see in books). I will use "they" more often. It's just that for me, the sentence was in singular because of "the person next me", so introducing a plural didn't sound good to me. On the other hand, in Spanish we use this formula quite often: "Apreciadas/os compañeras/os". And I didn't know I was using a formal register :hmm:

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2016-10-24, 11:31

linguoboy wrote:The person after me has tutored their native language before but wouldn't do it again.

No, I never tutored French, just helped foreigners with it unofficially, but I never went to teach it in classes.

How many sugar cubes does the person after me usually put in coffee?
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Antea

Postby Antea » 2016-10-24, 12:28

Usually, I don't drink coffee. But when it happens, I put just one sugar cube.

What kind of tea likes the person after me.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2016-10-24, 13:28

Black or green, whatever, as long as it contains citrus!

What's the person after me's favorite citrus (orange, tangerine, satsuma, grapefruit, lemon, lime...)?
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2016-10-24, 13:42

france-eesti wrote:No, I've never tutored French, just helped foreigners with it unofficially, but I never went on to teach it in classes.

Antea wrote:Usually, I don't drink coffee. But when it happens, I put in just one sugar cube.

What kind of tea likesdoes the person after me like?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

OyVey

Postby OyVey » 2016-10-24, 14:17

france-eesti wrote:What's the person after me's favorite citrus (orange, tangerine, satsuma, grapefruit, lemon, lime...)?
Tangerine

The person after me has been to a very small country.
Avatar by gill from Glasgow, uk (oy vey!) CC BY-SA 2.0, via Wikimedia Commons

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2016-10-24, 16:17

Yeah, Vatican! :)

The person after me never did anything special for Halloween.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2016-10-24, 17:40

france-eesti wrote:The person after me never did anything special for Halloween.

Better: "...has never done anything special..." or "...never does anything special...". Use of the simple past correlates to a closed period of time in the past, e.g. "The person after me never did anything special for Halloween when they were a child".

I usually do something for Halloween--watch the parade, go to a party, carve a pumpkin. At the very least I'll read a scary story or watch a horror film.

The person after me does something special for All Saints' Day.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

OyVey

Postby OyVey » 2016-10-24, 19:07

No, what's that? Sounds Catholic.

The person after me will tell us what their favourite movie is and why they like it.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2016-10-25, 4:49

Well I cannot say I have a favorite movie as I have lots of them, but I gotta say I love "Forrest Gump", because it shows plenty of sceneries (and I also love Tom Hanks, of course!) and reminds us of bits of the Story of America.

The person after me is intolerant to at least one kind of food and will tell us which and what his reaction is.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2016-11-03, 21:05

france-eesti wrote:Well I cannot say I have a favorite movie as I have lots of them, but I gotta say I love "Forrest Gump", because it shows plenty of sceneries (and I also love Tom Hanks, of course!) and reminds us of bits of the Story of America.

Scenery is a mass noun in English. You can talk about the "scenery" of a natural area or a theatrical stage, but in the plural you would say "landscapes" and "sets". I'm not sure which you mean here.

"Story of America" I guess means "history of America"? (Both "story" and "history" can translate histoire depending on what the intended meaning is.)

france-eesti wrote:The person after me is intolerant toof at least one kind of food and will tell us which and what his reaction is.

Raw tomatoes make me gag.

The person after me has been hit with a tomato before.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2016-11-03, 23:54

No, that kind of thing sounds like TV cartoons.

The black cat of the person after me likes to bite the white one.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

OyVey

Postby OyVey » 2016-11-04, 3:02

Negative. I haven't got any cats.

The person below me screams for ice cream.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2016-11-04, 3:23

I scream ice cream.

The person below me has ice in his eyes.

Dark_Horse

Postby Dark_Horse » 2016-12-03, 13:49

No, but...

...the person after me would die for some dye.
Native: (el)
C2: (en-us)
Basic: (fr)
Studying: (grc) (la)
Interested in: (et)

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2016-12-04, 1:03

No, I would never die for some dye.

The person after me doesn't eat dinner at all. (My English is so bad, especially when I speak :()
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2016-12-04, 14:29

I have dinner even in the days I'm supposed to not to eat.

There's a volcano in the homeland of the person after me that erupted for the last time when Hitler was born.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2016-12-04, 14:47

Don't think so....if there was I'd be fearing for my life lol

The person after me had a really weird dream last night.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2016-12-05, 22:05

Yeah, it included a war, a ship and my Hungarian teacher. Weirdest dream, indeed.

The person after me has planned a nice trip for Christmas, and will tell us where.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2016-12-06, 15:57

São José do Rio Preto, my in-laws hometown. I'll finally see my new niece personally. (OMG, reading this in English is weird. )

Stephen King wrote a novel where the person after me is a serial killer.

Return to “English”