TAC 2016 - Antea

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

IpseDixit
Re: TAC 2016 - Antea

Postby IpseDixit » 2016-06-10, 10:55

Yeah I see. I have the same problem with other Romance languages sometimes.

Anyway I should clarify that by "you" I meant Spaniards in general. Not "you" as Antea. Of course Spaniards tend to have a good accent for obvious reasons, but perfect? Nope, at least IME.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2016-07-02, 7:41

[flag=]fa[/flag]

I've been going on with my study (learning ?) of Persian. My main ressource is the Assimil book, and some ressources I find on internet about pronunciation. So far I've done the first 25 lessons of the book. It's kind of funny for me, cause it's like a mixture between Arabic and Hindi :hmm:

[flag=]ru[/flag]

For the moment that's the language that I'm most actively studying. I wish I could use it somehow to see at which level I am and if I could really interact and understand people in everyday situations :roll:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-07-02, 21:52

Antea wrote:[flag=]fa[/flag]

I've been going on with my study (learning ?) of Persian. My main resource is the Assimil book, and some resources I find on internet about pronunciation. So far I've done the first 25 lessons of the book. It's kind of funny for me, cause it's like a mixture between Arabic and Hindi :hmm:

"I've been continuing to study Persian." or "I've been continuing (with) my study of..."
You also seem to be having some interference (from French I assume) with you spelling of "resource."
I'd also suggest "....is my Assimil book."
[flag=]ru[/flag]

For the moment that's the language that I'm most actively studying. I wish I could use it somehow to see at which level I am and if I could really interact and understand people in everyday situations :roll:

While not necessarily wrong, your first sentence sounds a bit unnatural to be. I'd suggest "At the moment, Russian is the language..." or, if you didn't want to use the language's name, you could use "this is." "That's" just sound odd to me here.
Last edited by księżycowy on 2016-07-03, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-07-03, 3:28

I'd also say "on the Internet" and "interact with and understand..."

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-07-03, 11:53

Oh, and I'd say "found on the internet", to pick up on Vijay's comment.

Whoops, I just noticed my double definite article in one of my corrections too. :lol:
Last edited by księżycowy on 2016-07-03, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2016-07-03, 12:05

księżycowy wrote:Oh, and I'd say "found on the internet", to pick up on Vijay's comment.

Whoops, I just noticed my double definite article in on of my later corrections too. :lol:

vijayjohn wrote:I'd also say "on the Internet" and "interact with and understand..."

Thanks to both of you. I think that I keep doing again and again the same mistakes... :roll: :oops: :silly:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-07-03, 12:27

księżycowy wrote:Whoops, I just noticed my double definite article in one of my corrections too. :lol:

And....fixed!

Antea wrote:Thanks to both of you. I think that I keep doing the same mistakes again and again... :roll: :oops: :silly:

Happy to help. And don't worry about it; it happens to the best of us. :wink:
Sorry, I just had to correct that..... You can also say "over and over" instead of "again and again." I wouldn't bat an eye at either really.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-07-03, 13:38

Antea wrote:I think that I keep doing again and again the same mistakes... :roll: :oops: :silly:

I think making the same mistakes again and again actually helps us reinforce the idea that something is a mistake. I've done that a lot of times, too - not just with languages but with things like homework assignments at school, or my lunch!

However, if you want to keep track of your mistakes, you could do what I do and create a special thread for them in the forum of the language you're learning (so in the English forum, in this case). :)

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2016-07-03, 20:18

księżycowy wrote:
Antea wrote:Thanks to both of you. I think that I keep doing the same mistakes again and again... :roll: :oops: :silly:
And I'd just point out that the phrase is "make a mistake".
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-07-03, 21:49

While I agree with you Dormouse, I don't thing "doing" sounds unnatural to me. Though I suppose out of the two, I'd prefer "making" as well.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2016-08-18, 8:47

I'm carrying forward with Russian. I'm trying to do something everyday, like watching TV programs on YouTube, or reading. Sometimes it's difficult, specially when I'm listening to the news, because they talk so fast, and I don't understand all the words. They have a huge amount of vocabulary :hmm:

I'm also doing some conversation exchanges in Russian. Depending on the days, It's pretty hard because I'm not inspired at all :roll: . Last time, I felt like if I were dabbling words without any order or conjugation :roll: . My teacher seemed to understand me though. Of course, there are also better days, when I finish the class quite happy.

But the general feeling, It's a bit of frustration. I have still a long way to go to speak it fluently. I don't know if it's a question of studying more grammar or of having more conversation practice :hmm: . And I don't know if in September I should enroll a general course, or continue with the conversation classes, or what else :hmm: If someone has any advice, or feels the same about a language, please, you can share it with me. I don't know how to go further :hmm:

Antea

Postby Antea » 2016-09-09, 21:59

Well, right now I'm at a mess with my language schedule. I wish to continue learning Russian, because I feel that I have improved since last year. But the last news are that now my fellow-students think that maybe I'm not anymore in their level, and that annoys me :roll:

On the other hand, I also want to continue with Hindi. But for deeping into the language, I should invest more time and increase my vocabulary. And I'm afraid that if I do that, I will lose my scarce Russian vocabulary which is so hard for me to acquire :hmm: . I don't know, I'm not sure about this :hmm:

And I would also like to continue with Persian, but I'm only at the beginning and I need to study on my own more grammar and vocabulary, before doing anything else.

Michael

Postby Michael » 2016-09-24, 15:02

Antea wrote:And I would also like to continue with Persian, but I'm only at the beginning and I need to study on my own more grammar and vocabulary, before doing anything else.

Ah, isso explica tudo! Por isso eu estava pesquisando no fio de discussão da francesa e não achei nada sobre o persa! :lol: De qualquer modo, perguntei porque eu mesmo pretendo voltar ao meu persa e aprimorá-lo. Para fazer isso, vou usar um text bilíngue francês/inglês, Pour se perfectionner en persan e criar um baralho de Memrise. Quando vier o dia que eu tenha acabado a leitura e publicado o baralho para o público, eu gostaria de compartilhar contigo!
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2016-09-28, 17:42

Michael wrote:Quando vier o dia que eu tenha acabado a leitura e publicado o baralho para o público, eu gostaria de compartilhar contigo!

Isso seria genial ! :D

For the moment I'm intensively learning Russian. I think I've made some progress, but it's still hard for me. Now, I'm trying to increase my vocabulary and trying to retain it :lol: . It's an enourmous task and the more words I learn, the more I feel that I'm just at the beginning. But I will continue. I'm listening to the radio, watching Russian programms on Youtube, and realizing that at some point I will have to get a book in Russian and read it, or articles or something, if I really want to improve. Because for the moment, my vocabulary is still very basic, and I'm always using the same words. I feel like if I were I child of 5 years old when I'm talking, but for the fact that a Russian 5 year old child has got far more vocabulary than me :roll:

I'm also wanderlusting for Afrikaans, which I began to study sometime ago, but I don't know how to proceed. I don't know if I should wait until I reach a more advanced level in Russian. Or if I should find a tutor and take some lessons even if after it, I drop it for some time until some point in the near future (the same questions could apply to Persian). I don't know. As Russian is taking all my time, my other languages are waiting patiently, and I don't know until when it should be :hmm:

Antea

Postby Antea » 2016-10-18, 20:27

[flag=]ru[/flag]

I have bought an unabridged book in Russian, and I'm trying to read and translate at least two pages per day. I must say that it's sooo difficult. The still basic vocabulary that I have, it's just everyday vocabulary. But written and literary vocabulary....that's another thing. It's very trying, but I suppose that it must be done in order to increase the words that I know (because, for the moment I'm describing things in a very basic way, almost like a kid :roll: ) and also in order to somewhat become "able" to read in Russian.

Yesterday I actually read some short poems of Pushkin, and it felt so good to can read the original text in Russian (even if that was still with the help of a dictionnary :ohwell: ).

I'm also trying to listen to Russian material at least 15 minutes a day.

I would like to think that I am on the good path :yep:

Antea

Postby Antea » 2016-12-27, 17:59

Well, the year is ending, so I suppose I should make some conclusions about my progress in the languages I've been learning this year.

[flag=]ru[/flag] I must say that Russian has taken over all my free time. I can say now that almost everything that I watch on Youtube, listen to, or read (mostly articles), is in Russian. Notwithstanding, my level is still intermediate (maybe B1 or B2 :roll: ). I cannot say it precisely, because I don't go to classes anymore.

When I watch videos on Youtube, or listen to the radio, there's still a lot of words that I can't understand, and that I cannot guess either (because they're sooo different from those of latin origin).

[flag=]de[/flag] I've also been listening to audio material (radio, youtube) in German, and my level there it's definetely much better than in Russian. I suppose that time and years of learning a language finally count, and I've been familiar with German since a long time. Of course I still make errors, and sometimes my vocabulary fails me, but nevertheless, when I listen to the German radio I don't have any problem to understand what they're talking about, and to follow the programm.

[flag=]ar[/flag] Well, with this language I've also been acquainted for a long time now, but I never had much practise on it. Still, when I listen to audio material I feel that maybe I could reach a good level if I worked harder on it. But for the moment, Russian vocabulary is occupying all my mind :hmm:

Well, I suppose that's not so bad after all. The other languages I wanted to work on this year, I could not follow up with them because of the time I spend with Russian. For 2017, I'm going to make a more realistic TAC. But I would also like to brush up my elementary Hindi, because I think I'm forgetting it :roll:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2016-12-28, 3:36

Antea wrote:Well, the year is ending, so I suppose I should make some conclusions about my progress in the languages I've been learning this year.

[flag=]ru[/flag] I must say that Russian has taken over all my free time. I can say now that almost everything that I watch on Youtube, listen to, or read (mostly articles), is in Russian. NotwithstandingDespite that, my level is still intermediate (maybe B1 or B2 :roll: ). I cannot say it precisely, because I don't go to classes anymore.

When I watch videos on Youtube, or listen to the radio, there's still a lot of words that I can't understand, and that I cannot guess either (because they're sooo different from those of latin origin).

[flag=]de[/flag] I've also been listening to audio material (radio, youtube) in German, and my level there it's is defineitely much better than in Russian. I suppose that time and years of learning a language are finally countmaking a difference, and I've been familiar with German since for a long time. Of course I still make errors, and sometimes my vocabulary fails me, but nevertheless, when I listen to the German radio I don't have any problem to understanding what they're talking about, and to following the programme.

[flag=]ar[/flag] Well, with this language I've also been acquainted for a long time now, but I never had much practise oin it. Still, when I listen to audio material I feel that maybe I could reach a good level if I worked harder on it. But for the moment, Russian vocabulary is occupying all of my mind. :hmm:

Well, I suppose that's not so bad after all. The other languages I wanted to work on this year, I could not follow up with them because of the time I spendt with Russian. For 2017, I'm going to make a more realistic TAC. But I would also like to brush up my elementary Hindi, because I think I'm forgetting it. :roll:

Très bien et bon travail! Oui, il est difficile (en fait, pour moi) à créer les buts raisonnables avec le TAC. Mais, je pense que le fait que tu as amélioré ton niveau en russe jusqu'àu B1 ou B2, c'est très impressionnant! Continue-toi à faire le même effort la prochaine année.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Antea

Postby Antea » 2016-12-28, 7:22

dEhiN wrote:Très bien et bon travail! Oui, ilc' est difficile (en fait, pour moi) de fixer des à créer les buts raisonnables avec le TAC. Mais, je pense que le fait que tu aies as amélioré ton niveau en russe jusqu'àu niveau B1 ou B2, c'est très impressionnant! Continue-toi à faire / (à fournir) le même effort la prochaine année / l'année prochaine. / continue à bien travailler.

Merci pour tes corrections et tes commentaires, Dehin :D

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2016-12-28, 7:45

Et merci aussi pour tes corrections Antea ! J'ai une question en usage : est-ce qu'il y a une différence ou une grande différence entre « la prochaine année » et « l'année prochaine » ? Dans ce cas, je suppose que les deux marchent bien ?
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Antea

Postby Antea » 2016-12-28, 17:35

Les deux sont corrects, mais je sentais qu'ici ça allait mieux "à l'année prochaine" :hmm:

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”