Best accent of the English language ?

Moderator:JackFrost

linguoboy
Re: Best accent of the English language ?

Postby linguoboy » 2015-09-24, 14:30

JasleenKaur wrote:My favorite accents are listed as follows:

British English
United States

Because everyone in Britain talks the same, as does everyone in the United States.

BTW, my favourite South Asian languages are:

Pakistani
Indian

in that order.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

JasleenKaur

Postby JasleenKaur » 2015-09-25, 6:57

linguoboy wrote:
JasleenKaur wrote:My favorite accents are listed as follows:

British English
United States

Because everyone in Britain talks the same, as does everyone in the United States.

BTW, my favorite South Asian languages are:

Pakistani
Indian

in that order.

But Indians and Pakistanis are not speaking in British accents they are speaking in Indian typical English which covers all grammatical rules in English speaking.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-09-25, 13:05

JasleenKaur wrote:But Indians and Pakistanis are not speaking in British accents they are speaking in Indian typical English which covers all grammatical rules in English speaking.

I don't mean accents, I mean languages. I like the Pakistani language better than the Indian language.

I also like the Swiss language better than the Belgian language.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

JasleenKaur

Postby JasleenKaur » 2015-09-26, 4:41

linguoboy wrote:
JasleenKaur wrote:But Indians and Pakistanis are not speaking in British accents they are speaking in Indian typical English which covers all grammatical rules in English speaking.

I don't mean accents, I mean languages. I like the Pakistani language better than the Indian language.

I also like the Swiss language better than the Belgian language.

I doesn't matter who speaks better english Indians or Pakistanis. Anyone can speak fluently they just needs to focus on grammar and listening. if any person can listen correctly then definitely he/she able to speak well.

Gong Sun Hao Ran

Postby Gong Sun Hao Ran » 2015-10-11, 17:19

Am I the only one who adores the Welsh and the Geordie accents? :P :P :P

I try to do the former all the time and fail at the latter, apart from being able to convincingly call people 'flower' ...
Native: [flag=]en-GB[/flag][flag=]en-sg[/flag][flag=]yue.Hant[/flag] || Fluent: [flag=]zh.Hans[/flag] || Working on: [flag=]de[/flag][flag=]cy[/flag][flag=]es[/flag]
omnia in amore perficiantur
Dyfal donc a dyr y garreg!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-10-11, 17:27

Gong Sun Hao Ran wrote:Am I the only one who adores the Welsh and the Geordie accents?

Definitely in my Top Ten. I'm able to imitate the Welsh lilt, but the vowels have always eluded me.

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2016-04-26, 15:44

linguoboy wrote:
Gong Sun Hao Ran wrote:Am I the only one who adores the Welsh and the Geordie accents?

Definitely in my Top Ten. I'm able to imitate the Welsh lilt, but the vowels have always eluded me.

Same here, although I'm currently finding the hardest American English dialect to imitate to be Philadelphia's.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2016-04-26, 16:41

johnklepac wrote:Same here, although I'm currently finding the hardest American English dialect to imitate to be Philadelphia's.

Fluffya isn't that difficult for me because it's so close to Bawmerese. I've been having more trouble imitating a Texas accent because I keep wanting to front /ow/ too much, making it sound more Richmond than Richland.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2016-04-26, 17:00

To be perfectly honest my fav English accent is my native one: SoCal. I love the sound of it. It makes me feel all happy, chill and nostalgic for my childhood in San Diego. Like, if I'm having a bad day, I can just start talking like a SoCal girl and I'm instantly in a better mood. And as it being my native accent, it's soooooo much fun to speak it. Like, totally, dude. Most of the time I go around talking in this very generic Southwest American accent I developed after I moved to Texas from California. But seriously, like, if I get started talking like that, like, I so can't stop. And yes, we do say "like" that much.

I also love how it can totally wind some people up. I mean, some people just HATE it so much. It's delicious. :twisted:

But I will say this: my SoCal accent does make learning some languages a little more challenging, because it's such a lazy accent with vowels and such. Like, Gaelic with a SoCal accent? Just doesn't work. :nope:

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2016-04-26, 17:58

linguoboy wrote:Fluffya isn't that difficult for me because it's so close to Bawmerese. I've been having more trouble imitating a Texas accent because I keep wanting to front /ow/ too much, making it sound more Richmond than Richland.
I find Shkaaga to be harder, myself. Luckily my girlfriend is from M'sh'g'n, which means I've mastered the fronted [aː], but the rest eludes me.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2016-04-27, 16:01

For starters, it's "Shkawgah" via hypercorrection.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2016-04-27, 20:58

linguoboy wrote:For starters, it's "Shkawgah" via hypercorrection.
Huhw abuhwt that!
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2016-04-28, 0:07

mōdgethanc wrote:
linguoboy wrote:For starters, it's "Shkawgah" via hypercorrection.
Huhw abuhwt that!

thyat* or thay-at*

Are you even trying, bro?

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2016-04-28, 2:01

johnklepac wrote:Are you even trying, bro?
Buddy, Uhy'm tahking luhyke a Knehdyin, yuh hohzer.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

OyVey

Postby OyVey » 2016-10-09, 17:34

mōdgethanc wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Fluffya isn't that difficult for me because it's so close to Bawmerese. I've been having more trouble imitating a Texas accent because I keep wanting to front /ow/ too much, making it sound more Richmond than Richland.
I find Shkaaga to be harder, myself. Luckily my girlfriend is from M'sh'g'n, which means I've mastered the fronted [aː], but the rest eludes me.

Is there any difference between a Michigan and a Chicago accent? Can people from those places tell them apart?
Avatar by gill from Glasgow, uk (oy vey!) CC BY-SA 2.0, via Wikimedia Commons

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2016-10-10, 12:27

OyVey wrote:
mōdgethanc wrote:

Is there any difference between a Michigan and a Chicago accent? Can people from those places tell them apart?

Chicago and Michigan each have more than one accent, and some are quite distinct. You couldn't mistake a Yooper for a Soutsider, for instance.

OyVey

Postby OyVey » 2016-10-24, 19:47

Can people actually distinguish a Detroit and a Chicago accent? I was under the impression that Midwesterners thought they had no accent at all.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2016-10-24, 19:58

OyVey wrote:Can people actually distinguish a Detroit and a Chicago accent? I was under the impression that Midwesterners thought they had no accent at all.

Many believe this, but they're wrong. Everyone has an accent. It just happens that the most neutral accent of American English resembles closely varieties spoken natively in southeastern Iowa. So people from areas nearby think they have "no accent", but really what they have is an accent without strong regional characteristics.

OyVey

Postby OyVey » 2016-10-24, 21:18

Do you have a link to how people speak in Southeastern Iowa?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2016-10-24, 21:27

Turns out the area in question covers more ground than I remembered. The map at this link shows it embracing all of the southern half of Iowa and extending into both eastern Nebraska and west-central Illinois. It also features a video of Warren Buffett, a lifelong native of Omaha.

If I can find a good recording of some southern Iowa speakers, I'll share them.

Return to “English”