TAC 2016 - Mike - Turkish, Portuguese

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Michael
Re: TAC 2016 - Mike (Azeri, Spanish)

Postby Michael » 2016-02-21, 1:47

voron wrote:It sounded Turkic too me, especially your ğ and x sounds. :) There are quite a lot of differences between standard Azerbaijani and Turkish though for me to make any constructive comments.

You may find it amusing, but I've gotten so used to Anatolian Turkish that sometimes I swallow my ğ's in Azerbaijani if I'm not vigilant. :lol:

But it's good to hear that my pronunciation at least sounds Turkic! I suppose I'm more critical of it than I should be.

Do we have your Persian recordings anywhere on Unilang? I'd love to hear them.

Hmm, in the two years that I've been learning Persian I still haven't managed to upload any recordings. I'll try and upload one for you later.
Last edited by Michael on 2016-02-21, 9:13, edited 2 times in total.
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

Michael

Postby Michael » 2016-02-21, 2:05

(Pretending that I didn't skip the Week 7 Update and that I'm not a day late in submitting this week's update…)

8ci (Səkkizinci) Həftənin Yeriliyi (Week 8 Update)

[flag=]az[/flag] Progress
Öztopçu: After a month-long standstill, I finally finished Unit 7/12, and am now on p.182/311, the beginning of Unit 8. I learned how to form the the comparative and superlative (all you do is add daha and ən, respectively, before the adjective; easy-peasy!), the five most common primary postpositions, reviewed the interrogative pronouns, and learned the simple past of the verb "to be" in the affirmative and negative.
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1

Michael

Postby Michael » 2016-02-28, 16:43

9cu (Doqquzuncu) Həftənin Yeriliyi (Week 9 Update)

Öztopçu: Still going through Unit 8, on p.189/311. A little slower than I expected to progress this week. Have learnt vocabulary pertaining to food, the use of counting words, and the definite future tense.

Michael

Re: TAC 2016 - Mike (Azeri, Persian, Spanish)

Postby Michael » 2016-03-04, 13:47

10cu (Onuncu) Həftənin Yeniliyi (Week 10 Update)

I'm adding Persian back to my TAC, by the way. I need to stay on top of my knowledge of it, and also have to get into the intricacies of its idiomatic expression and word choice.

Öztopçu: A few nights ago, I ended up erasing a whole unit's worth of cards while setting up Anki Mobile on my iPhone because, unbeknownst to me, it had been a month since I synced the last changes to my deck with AnkiWeb. So I've been spending the better part of this week trying to rewrite the 200-odd cards that were lost. But I will not be discouraged! (Also, guys, take this as a lesson to get into the habit of syncing your Anki decks!)

I forgot to mention this on the forum, but I met a Turkish expat student the other day and he invited me to his house. We had tünd qəhvə (strong, black Turkish coffee) and watched a Turkish movie. He spoke to me in Turkish, albeit at a slower pace, and I spoke to him in [broken] Azeri (or as I described it to him, İran Türkcəsi "Iranian Turkish"), back and forth, for a good hour! I feel like all my efforts are finally starting to pay off, and it's definitely giving me the psychological spur needed to get back on track and complete Öztopçu's textbook within the next month, so I can gain the confidence to tackle the literary language.

Michael

Re: TAC 2016 - Mike (Azerbaijani, NT Greek, Polish)

Postby Michael » 2016-03-14, 20:53

(Once again, pretending that I didn't skip the previous week's update…)

Due to newly-arisen needs which I will describe in my title post, I'm replacing Persian and Spanish with New Testament Greek and Polish. Azerbaijani will remain a language of focus throughout the rest of the year, but Persian and Spanish will have to be postponed for either the latter part of this year, or next year altogether. Three languages is my maximum for active study.

Səkkizinci Vahidin Çıxarışları (Excerpts from Unit 8)

Grammatical structures that I have not yet fully understood are underlined followed by the question emoticon.

As part of my efforts to de-Russify my Azeri, I've replaced Russian loanwords (in red) with synonyms (in blue), however less popular they may be, or straight-up calques from Persian (in green) made up on the spot.

I'll upload my recordings whether or not I receive any feedback on them; I showed my Turkish friend my Azeri workbook, and although his pronunciation while reading a few of the excerpts from my book is markedly Istanbulian/Western Anatolian, his rhythm while doing the same instills envy in me, so I need the practice.

(Vocaroo səsyazması)
Qış gəldi. Meşələr, dağlar, yollar qarla örtüldü. Hava necə də təmizdir! Bu gün yenə qar yağır. Uşaqlar həyətdə qartopu oynayırlar. Nadir isə evdə kiçik bacısı ilə oynayır. Anası evdə deyil. Nadir pəncərənin yanına gəlir və həyətə baxır. Anası bazardan qayıdır. Onun elində dolu çanta var. Çantanı anasından alır və mətbəxə aparır. Nadir yenə pəncərədən uşaqlara baxır. Onlar hələ də oynayırlar. Nadir anasından icazə alır və həyətə düşür. O, uşaqların yanına gəlir. Uşaqlar çoxlu qar yığırlar. Bilirsiniz, onlar nə düzəltmək istəyirlər? Qar adamı. İndi qar adamı hazırdır. Onun gözləri torpaq almasından (kartofdan), burnu kökdəndir. Uşaqlar onun başına köhnə bir papaq qoymuşlar.

"Winter has come. The forests, the mountains and the roads are all covered with snow. How beautiful is the weather! It is snowing once again today. The children are throwing snowballs in the [court]yard, while Nadir plays with his little sister in the house. His mother is not home. Nadir comes to the side of the window and watches the yard. His mother is returning from the market. She has a full bag in her hand. He takes the bag from his mother and heads toward the kitchen. Nadir once again watches the children. They are still playing. Nadir asks permission from his mother and hits the yard. He joins the children. The children are gathering a lot of snow. You know, what do they want to make? A snowman. Its eyes are made of potatoes and its nose is made of a carrot. The children put an old cap upon its head."

(Vocaroo səsyazması)
"Bazarda"
Səhər yoldaşım mənə "bu gün bizə çoxlu qonaq gələcək, bazara gedib çoxlu meyvə al", dedi. Mən də saat 10-da bazara getdim. Bazarda meyvə və tərəvəz çox təzədir. Orada hər cür meyvə və tərəvəz tapa bilərsiniz. Qızım alma və albalı, oğlum isə üzüm xoşlayır. Albalı çox baha idi. İki kilo alma aldım. Xiyarlar çox təzə idi, iki kilo da xiyar aldım. Mən şaftalı da almaq istəyirdim, amma tapa bilmədim. Bazardan sonra ərzaq mağazasına getdim. Kərə yağı, qaymaq və pendir aldım. Sonra evə qayıtdım.

"'At the market'
In the morning my spouse told me, 'Many guests are coming to our house today, buy a lot of fruits when you go to the market'. I also went to the market at 10 o'clock. The fruits and vegetables at the market are very fresh. You may find every kind of fruit and vegetable there. My daughter likes apples and cherries, while my son likes grapes. The cherries were very expensive. I bought two kilos of apples. The cucumbers were very fresh, so I also bought two kilos of them of cucumbers. I wanted to buy peaches too, but I could not find any. After the market, I went to the grocery store. I bought butter, cream and cheese. I returned home afterwards."

(Vocaroo səsyazması)
Bir qoca kişi ömrünün axır günlərində oğlanlarını yanına cağırdı. Bir dəstə çubuğu bir yerdə bağlayıb onlara verdi və dedi:
—Görüm sizdən kim bu bağlı çubuqları qıra biləcək?
Oğlanları güclərini sınadılar. Heç biri çubuq dəstəsini qıra bilmədi. Qoca kişi çubuqları açıb dedi:
—İndi gücünüzü sınayın.
Oğlanlar nazik çubuqları çox asanlıqla bir-bir qırdılar. "Bu çox asan işdir", dedilər.
Qoca gülə-gülə oğlanlarına baxdı. Onlara nəsihət etdi:
—Əziz balalarım, siz də bu çubuqlar kimi bir yerdə olsanız, yəni aranızda birlik olsa, heç bir qüvvə sizə güc gələ bilməz. Yox, əgər bir-birinizdən ayrılsanız, aranızda birlik olmasa, tez məhv olarsınız.

"An old man invited his sons to his side in the last days of his life. Having tied up :?: a pile of tree branches in one piece, he gave it to them and told them:
—Let me see which one of you will be able to break these tied-up branches?
His sons tried their strengths. None of them could break the pile of branches. Having untied the branches, the old man said:
—Now demonstrate your strength.
The boys easily broke the thin branches one-by-one. 'This is a very easy task', they said.
The old [man] looked at the young men with a smile. He advised them:
—My dear children, if you too, like these branches, are together, that is to say, if there is unity in your land, no strength shall overpower you. No, if you leave each other, if there is not unity in your land, you shall perish quickly."

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Re: TAC 2016 - Mike (Azerbaijani, NT Greek, Polish)

Postby voron » 2016-03-15, 10:23

Bir dəstə çubuğu bir yerdə bağlayıb onlara verdi

In Turkish, this -ip suffix is just a connective device which can in all cases replace 'and' when it connects two verbs
bağlayıp verdi - tied up and gave

Infact since the conjuction 've' is borrowed from Arabic, originally Turkish had other ways of saying 'and':

For nouns - the posposition 'ile':
me and you - benle sen

For verbs - the suffix '-ip'
I went to the shop and bought bread - Dükkana gidip ekmek aldım.

Of course it can also be translated with an adverbial participle just the way you did:
Having tied up ... he gave

It's up to your taste.

Michael

Re: TAC 2016 - Mike (Azerbaijani, MSA, Polish)

Postby Michael » 2016-03-19, 5:04

Thank you, voron, for the explanation! The function of that suffix is much clearer to me now. :)

12ci (On İkinci) Həftənin Yeniliyi (Week 12 Update)

I had my sights set on NT Greek, but I figured, if I'm going to be devoting time to learning a literary language, I'd might as well return to my study of Modern Standard Arabic, so I'm excited for that! :D

Öztopçu: I've been starting to feel the burnout these last few weeks, thus the lack of forward movement, but I finally finished the exercises for Unit 8/12, and am now on p.204/311.

Michael

Postby Michael » 2016-03-26, 1:24

13 (On Üçüncü) Həftənin Yeniliyi (Week 13 Update)

I've chosen to use Build Your Arabic Vocabulary as my stepping stone into MSA instead of my Living Language course, since its format has been making me procrastinate for all these years. It may seem counterproductive to focus on vocabulary before grammar, but since I have no background in anything else Semitic, I would just be satisfied with getting acquainted with Semitic roots and the lexicon of literary Arabic at this point.

Öztopçu: Haven't progressed much at all in my workbook. Have only put in the first 45 items of vocabulary at the back of Unit 9/12, but I'm not going to fret about my lack of expected progress, even though this upcoming unit would teach me quite a few grammatical structures that will solidify my ability in constructing and comprehending longer sentences and reading the written language. Better to let the motivation come naturally than to risk burning myself out even more than I already have.

[flag=]ar[/flag] Progress
McGraw-Hill: 2/16. Have learnt quite a range of greetings, followed by items around the house and parts of a town and associated verbs.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2016-03-26, 13:08

I personally totally liked the Madina Arabic course:
http://abdurrahman.org/arabic-learning/madina-arabic/

This book does an excellent job in teaching you to read the Quran. It teaches your the purest MSA, the Quranic vocabulary, and all the tiny details about the Quranic grammar. But only that. You won't be able to communicate after finishing this course. (Who needs to communicate in MSA anyway, learn a dialect for that).

It is fully in Arabic but I was able to get through it (1st and 2nd books, didn't do the 3rd one) smoothly because there are many accompanying websites and several youtube video series which are based on this course, and even you don't use them just using a grammar book on the side would do fine.

You can even combine the fun and watch Madina Arabic lessons in Turkish :)
There is this guy who teaches them: https://youtube.com/watch?v=XNBC50ZinI4
You can also try and search for lessons in Persian.

If you like a lot of illustrations, you may want to take a look at Arabiyya Bayna Yadayk (Arabic in your hands)
https://quranicarabic.wordpress.com/ara ... dayk-book/

It also teaches MSA and has youtube courses based on it, and I had much fun going through the first lessons of this book. However it progressively got weird as it also claims to be 'the first book that teaches you colloquial MSA', so you learn phrases that will supposedly help you in daily life situations like bargain at the market etc. Let's stop pretending, MSA is not used for that. Arabs don't do it themselves.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2016-03-27, 8:49

I hated al-'arabiyya bayna yadayk (by the way, while "bayna yadayk" literally translates as "between your hands" idiomatically it means "in front of you"). I liked using it because it's all written in Arabic, but it's so ridiculously backwards and conservative that the content of the book can be a real turn-off. It's far, far to the right of most Arabs (and Muslims more generally) and has lessons about how great things were in the good ol' days when children obeyed their parents and women didn't work... :ohwell:

Anyway, I recommend Thackston's An Introduction to Koranic and Classical Arabic. Very succinct yet thorough. You can find a PDF of it online.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2016-03-27, 14:13

eskandar wrote:Anyway, I recommend Thackston's An Introduction to Koranic and Classical Arabic. Very succinct yet thorough. You can find a PDF of it online.

And of the answer key. Which you will likely need to get through it on your own without a teacher.

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2016-03-27, 14:57

I second the Madinah recommendation (although I only did the first book). It's a good introduction to Arabic grammar, has the key vocabulary which isn't too focused on the religious stuff. I don't know about the other books, maybe they up the ante on that. I wanted MSA and not the classical language - if you're really set on the classical part, your mileage may vary.
Native: [flag=]pl[/flag] Very advanced/near native: [flag=]en-US[/flag]
Intermediate: [flag=]es[/flag]
Beginner [flag=]de[/flag], [flag=]sgn[/flag], [flag=]tpi[/flag], [flag=]en_old[/flag], [flag=]ar[/flag]
Wanderlusting: [flag=]ja[/flag], [flag=]ru[/flag]
Artificial languages: [flag=]art-qya[/flag], [flag=]art-sjn[/flag],
My interest has been drawn by: [flag=]fa[/flag], [flag=]zh[/flag],

Michael

Postby Michael » 2016-03-27, 23:15

Thanks all for the recommendations. Madinah Arabic looks well-written, but seems too slow-paced (i.e., "What is this?—This is a book"), but that could just be me judging a book too soon. In any case, I'm not trying to learn Koranic/Classical Arabic, since I have no interest in reading the Quran or Classical Arabic literature, but a more modern, slightly Europeanized and grammatically-simplified literary Arabic, so I can read Arabic media online. At least for now, I'm sticking to my plan of focusing on vocabulary before grammar, but I certainly won't be ignoring grammar, especially the perfect and imperfect verbal suffixes, since I'll need to master those in order to actually be able to use the verbs that I learn in McGraw-Hill.

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2016-03-28, 9:24

I agree that it is slow-paced, I worked through it with a native tutor and we wound up skipping whole chapters once Sarah realized I was quick to grasp the basics. :)

If you want to read Arabic media online, then use Aratools http://www.aratools.com/#text-dict-tab
I use it for everything and then dump new words/phrases into my log :)
Native: [flag=]pl[/flag] Very advanced/near native: [flag=]en-US[/flag]
Intermediate: [flag=]es[/flag]
Beginner [flag=]de[/flag], [flag=]sgn[/flag], [flag=]tpi[/flag], [flag=]en_old[/flag], [flag=]ar[/flag]
Wanderlusting: [flag=]ja[/flag], [flag=]ru[/flag]
Artificial languages: [flag=]art-qya[/flag], [flag=]art-sjn[/flag],
My interest has been drawn by: [flag=]fa[/flag], [flag=]zh[/flag],

Michael

Re: TAC 2016 - Mike (Azerbaijani, Polish)

Postby Michael » 2016-04-01, 22:21

14 (On Dördüncü) Həftənin Yeniliyi (Week 14 Update)

Öztopçu: Put in all of the 140-odd items of vocabulary at the end of Unit 9/12, but most of them remain as new cards on Anki, and of course I haven't even begun studying the unit itself. However, I've been keeping up with reviews.

[flag=]ar[/flag] Progress
Shirwani, PhD: Honestly, ZZZ. :whistle: Have been allergic to even going over the two lessons of phrases and vocabulary that I put in Anki. Now that spring has come, I've been feeling like going back to Persian, since I've been neglecting it somewhat, so I'm going to do that. I need to stop avoiding Polish. (re: title post)

I can imagine what you guys are thinking, "Why is this guy always changing goalposts? It's hard for me to take him seriously." But that's what happens when you want to learn so many languages but can only study a few at a time.

Michael

Postby Michael » 2016-04-09, 20:11

15ci (On Beşinci) Həftənin Yeniliyi (Week 15 Update)

Öztopçu: Haven't completed Unit 9 yet, but I've gotten back some momentum. Currently on p. 212/311. In this unit, I have learnt the usage of the indefinite future tense and have been introduced to intensive adjectives, the latter of which are very similar to the reduplicated adjectives of Romance and perhaps other IE languages.

Doqquzuncu Vahidin bir Çıxarışı (An Excerpt from [within] Unit 9)

(Vocaroo səsyazması)
Bakıdan məktub var.

Salam, Ceyn.
Necəsiniz?
Ceyn, sənin göndərdiyin məktubu aldım, oxudum və çox şad oldum. Hər şey üçün çox sağ ol. Bağışlayın, mən sənə tez-tez məktub yaza bilmirəm. Amma bizim ürəyimiz həmişə sizinlədir. Biz hər vaxt sizin haqqınızda danışırıq. Mən bilirəm ki, siz də heç vaxt bizləri yaddan çıxarmırsınız. Biz dekabrın on ikisində qardaşımgiylə Gəncəyə getdik. Biz Gəncədə birinci dəfə idi ki olurduq. Gəncə bizim çox xoşumuza gəldi. Arzu edirəm ki, siz tezliklə Azərbaycana qayıdarsınız və birgə yenə Gəncəyə gedərik.
Ceyn, biz sizdən ötrü çox darıxırıq. Mən Kimberli üçün çox darıxanda sənin mənə verdiyin şəkillərə baxıram. Şəkildə hamınız çox yaxşı görünürsünüz. Ceyn, mən eşitdim ki, siz bir ildən sonra gələcəksiniz. Əlbəttə, bu çox uzun vaxtdır. Eybi yoxdur. Biz həmişə sizi gözləyirik. Bir az oğlum Vahid haqqında yazmaq istəyirəm. İmtahanlarını verdi. Vahid 9-cu sinfə keçdi. Vahid üçün göndərdiyiniz hədiyyə çox yaxşıdır. Çox sağ olun. O da sizə salam deyir.
Allahdan arzu edirəm ki, hər şey yaxşı olsun və biz yenidən görüşək. Hamıya salam de. Səni öpürəm. Kimberlini mənim əvəzimdən öp.
Sağ olun.

Sevil
5 fevral 2012-ci ildə
Bakı

"You've got a letter from Baku.

Hello, Jane.
How are you?
Jane, I just received your letter. I read it and was very pleased. Thank you very much for everything. Please excuse me, I can't write a letter to you very fast. But our heart is always with you. We always talk about you. I know that you will never forget us all either. We went to Ganja together with my brother on the 12th of December. It was the first time that we had been to Ganja. We liked Ganja very much. I hope that you will return soon to Azerbaijan and that we can go to Ganja together again.
Jane, we miss you very much. When I long for Kimberly, I look at the pictures you gave me. You all look very good in the photos. Jane, I heard that you will come [back] in a year. Of course, that is a very long time. But that is no matter. We will always wait for you guys. I'd like to write about my son Vahid for a little bit. He just had his exams. Vahid finished the 9th grade. The gift that you sent for Vahid was very nice. Thank you so much. He also says hi.
By God I hope that everything may be OK and that we will meet once again. Say hi to everyone. I send you a kiss. Send Kimberly a kiss on my behalf.
Thank you.
Seville
February 5th, 2012
Baku"

Michael

Postby Michael » 2016-04-26, 1:30

Merely 1/3 into 2016, I've already buckled under the pressure. It seems that I've run out of language-learning steam, even for languages that I should enjoy learning. I admit to defeat, to total annihilation. At least for now, inşallah.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2016-04-27, 11:09

I know it won't sound new to you but can you perhaps try diversifying the activities you're doing for your languages?

How about creating Anki cards with video fragments from your favourite films? It can be fun, and serve well as a change for a while:
http://subs2srs.sourceforge.net

And if you're interesting in Anatolian Turkish, there is this great website where a Turkish channel named Kanal D shares all its shows with Turkish subtitles:
http://engelsiz.kanald.com.tr

If you look at the HTML source of the pages you can easily find links for downloading video files and subtitle files for watching their shows offline, or creating learning materials. Like this:
Original link for online watching: http://engelsiz.kanald.com.tr/Video/Detail/23269/1
Video link: http://cdn6.kanald.com.tr/2013kanald/di ... ni1bet.mp4
Subtitle link: http://cdn6.kanald.com.tr/2013kanald/di ... kmeni1.srt

This is the first episode of the show Ankara'nın Dikmen'i which I think you may enjoy. The main character speaks with a kick ass Central Anatolian accent.

Also, you had made a Turkish friend, are you still in contact?

Michael

Postby Michael » 2016-04-30, 21:53

voron wrote:[…]

In regards to your Anki suggestion, I'm not so sure that that would work for me, because I'm very particular about how I format my cards; I don't even create cards with pictures. But I think most of my burnout has been due to my dependence on Anki itself without mixing things up elsewhere. Fortunately, however, the tide is starting to ebb back to shore and I'm finding inspiration to continue where I left off. After all, I'm almost 3/4 finished with Elementary Azerbaijani, and after completing the whole workbook, I'll finally be able to devote study time to Anadoluca, with the added bonus of having an extensive background in Azerbaijani.

As for the links that you've posted for me, thank you very much! I will definitely be visiting Kanal D a lot. You better believe that one of the reasons that I've been regretting not starting out with Turkish is because it just has such a wealth of rich media compared to Azeri.

Yes, I'm still in contact with my Turkish friend, although he will be returning soon to Istanbul.

PS: You may be excited to learn that I've been going through my PDF of W.M. Thackston's Sorani Kurdish grammar, with the effect that I now have a raging wanderlust for Sorani. I just love its rich, exciting grammar; it makes Persian look pretty boring. :lol: I will definitely be dabbling in it in the near future.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2016-04-30, 22:14

I'm not excited; I'm upset! You should have chosen Kurmanji! :pissed:

Just kidding; good luck with Sorani. I think you will be able to find enough materials and media to learn it; at least for Kurmanji, there is plenty. The only major problem is that people do not speak the standard language used in books in media.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”