Pronunciation of Spanish 'j'?

Moderator:Iván

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Pronunciation of Spanish 'j'?

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-02, 15:59

Iparxi_Zoi wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Wow, I didn't know that [x] was the pronunciation of <j> in most of Mexico. :shock:

Is that sarcasm? :lol:

No, it's really not. Looking at the earlier posts in this thread almost makes it sound like you're the first person who noticed it even existed in Mexican Spanish. :para: But maybe that's just me misinterpreting those posts, idk. :oops: I even tried looking for examples of [x] in videos of Mexican Spanish on YouTube and couldn't seem to find any for some reason, at least not with the [x] I've heard Spaniards pronounce. :hmm: But I'm willing to blame my ears for that. EDIT: Or my laziness in looking around. Or the fact that I'm not a native speaker. Or something. :lol:

Iparxi_Zoi

Postby Iparxi_Zoi » 2015-03-02, 20:18

vijayjohn wrote:No, it's really not. Looking at the earlier posts in this thread almost makes it sound like you're the first person who noticed it even existed in Mexican Spanish. :para: But maybe that's just me misinterpreting those posts, idk. :oops: I even tried looking for examples of [x] in videos of Mexican Spanish on YouTube and couldn't seem to find any for some reason, at least not with the [x] I've heard Spaniards pronounce. :hmm: But I'm willing to blame my ears for that. EDIT: Or my laziness in looking around. Or the fact that I'm not a native speaker. Or something. :lol:

I also read that in Spain it can be anywhere from velar, to post-velar to uvular (sorry for not including it earlier, I was trying to get my point across). Or maybe it's because people are thinking of a somewhat harsh, guttural sound when they think of /x/ when it really is softer. Take it from someone who's heard this sound his whole life :wink:

I would also suggest listening to Modern Greek; it also has /x/, and it's the same sound I've heard and used all my life. If that isn't a voiceless velar fricative /x/, I don't know what is. :lol:
Native/Mis lenguas maternas: [flag=español mexicano (Mexican Spanish)]es-MX[/flag] [flag=español (Spanish)]es[/flag] American English (en-US) English (en)
Advanced (I hope)/Espero que no se me olvide: [flag=français (French)]fr[/flag]
In love with/Me encantan: [flag=ελληνικά (Greek)]el[/flag] [flag=português (Portuguese)]pt[/flag]
Also intested in/También me interesarían: [flag=العربية (Arabic)]ar[/flag] [flag=italiano (Italian)]it[/flag] [flag=Türkçe (Turkish)]tr[/flag]

hottiesteachspanish

Postby hottiesteachspanish » 2015-04-02, 21:14

Hi!

Im salvadorian aswell, the IPA value of this phoneme actually is /x/ but the real pronunciation sounds (jota)

Hope that helps!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-04-02, 21:38

hottiesteachspanish wrote:Im salvadorian aswell, the IPA value of this phoneme actually is /x/ but the real pronunciation sounds (jota)

Eso lo dices en broma ¿no?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2015-06-01, 4:24

¿Broma? A mí ese me suena mediotomado... [rather drunk]

Iparxi_Zoi

Postby Iparxi_Zoi » 2015-06-01, 6:08

Serafín wrote:¿Broma? A mí ese me suena mediotomado... [rather drunk]

Tal vez se esté refiriendo al nombre de la letra misma.
Native/Mis lenguas maternas: [flag=español mexicano (Mexican Spanish)]es-MX[/flag] [flag=español (Spanish)]es[/flag] American English (en-US) English (en)
Advanced (I hope)/Espero que no se me olvide: [flag=français (French)]fr[/flag]
In love with/Me encantan: [flag=ελληνικά (Greek)]el[/flag] [flag=português (Portuguese)]pt[/flag]
Also intested in/También me interesarían: [flag=العربية (Arabic)]ar[/flag] [flag=italiano (Italian)]it[/flag] [flag=Türkçe (Turkish)]tr[/flag]

Carlos_Halliwell

Postby Carlos_Halliwell » 2016-01-16, 1:28

The Spanish "j" (and the g before e and i) is pronounced in 3 different ways:

-Voiceless uvular fricative [ꭓ] - Spain (except for Andalusia, in the south), some regions in Peru.

-Voiceless velar fricative [x] - Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Peru. Same as the ch in Scottish word "loch" or in German "Bach".

-Voiceless glottal fricative [h] - Cuba, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, Colombia, Panama, Andalusia (Spain) and Spanish-speakers living in the U.S. (I have heard Mexican-Americans pronounce it as an h). This is the way the "j "was pronounced in the Philippines too. I think Bolivian Spanish also has this phoneme, though I'm not sure.

I am missing some countries, as well as more specific dialects. I don't know about Central American dialects either.
Last edited by Carlos_Halliwell on 2016-01-16, 3:10, edited 1 time in total.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2016-01-16, 2:24

Central Americans typically use [h].
-Voiceless uvular fricative [ꭓ] - Spain only (except for Andalusia, in the south).

Some Peruvians pronounce it that way too, particularly those hailing from the northern coast. And not only have I read about it but have heard it myself.

Carlos_Halliwell

Postby Carlos_Halliwell » 2016-01-16, 3:10

Serafín wrote:Central Americans typically use [h].
-Voiceless uvular fricative [ꭓ] - Spain only (except for Andalusia, in the south).

Some Peruvians pronounce it that way too, particularly those hailing from the northern coast. And not only have I read about it but have heard it myself.

Oh, I had forgotten about Peru! I had heard about that, though. Thanks! Does that region include Lima?
Also, I think Peruvians in the Amazonic region pronounce it as an [h], I'm not sure though.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2016-01-16, 9:52

In case it could help, there's a video I've found about the "j-g" Spanish pronunciation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrD6L0HsI4E

Return to “Spanish (Español)”