TAC 2016 - dEhiN

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

dEhiN
TAC 2016 - dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2016-01-02, 0:44

I guess it's time I create my TAC 2016. I'm going to only do Tamil for the next 2 months and try to get through Guide de conversation : Tamoul de poche. There are other Tamil resources I have and can use, both offline and online. But when I take on too much - either in terms of a lot of languages or a lot of resources per language - I tend to not get anything done. So this being a new year, I'm going to start small and try to develop some good study habits along the way. (Actually using this resource will have the added benefit of improving my French reading skills and vocabulary!)

When I've created weekly goals in the past, I've always done them on Sunday since for me the week goes from Sunday to Saturday. So I'll hold off on any goals for now. I'm also going to think about ways to practice whatever I learn, since using only this book could easily develop my reading abilities without my speaking ones. Maybe I can have like a biweekly practice session with my dad or mom - I could write out (in Tamil) all that I've learned and practice my pronunciation with them.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Re: TAC 2016 - dEhiN

Postby OldBoring » 2016-01-02, 2:41

So you're letting your parents do what they didn't do ~30 years ago? :wink:

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-01-02, 6:45

As a new fish is born, so is a new tack pinned to a wall.

Holy crap! That is a freaking beautiful quote! And I made that on the spot :mrgreen:

Kay, but srs, may the games begin dEhiN :twisted: Who shall take the throne this year? But it looks like someone's already beating us both :lol: I forget who, but pretty sure one (ksiezycowy?) Trapy has 4 pages :shock:

Good luck in Tamil!
Last edited by Koko on 2016-01-02, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-01-02, 20:39

Koko wrote:As a new fish is born, so is a new tack pinned to a wall.

Holy crap! That is a freaking beautiful quote! And I made that on the spot :mrgreen:

You should make that part of your signature. :lol:
Trapy has 6 pages :shock:

Nope, 4.
Good luck in Tamil!

Interesting. I would have said "good luck with Tamil." Unless you meant to say you meant to say "good luck" in Tamil! :lol:

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-01-02, 23:26

vijayjohn wrote:
Koko wrote:As a new fish is born, so is a new tack pinned to a wall.

You should make that part of your signature. :lol:

Hellz ya!

Nope, 4.

That's what I said :whistle:

Good luck in Tamil!

Interesting. I would have said "good luck with Tamil." Unless you meant to say you meant to say "good luck" in Tamil! :lol:

I meant to say I meant to say "Good luck to your perilous adventure in the language of Tamil." ie, "Good luck in Tamil" :wink:

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2016-01-03, 1:23

Koko wrote:Hellz ya!

Úlfurinn is your Icelandic name?

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-01-03, 1:37

OldBoring wrote:
Koko wrote:Hellz ya!

Úlfurinn is your Icelandic name?

In my sig, I say "Úlfur er ég" (I am a wolf), so Úlfurinn makes reference to that ;)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2016-01-04, 3:14

OMG I like don't stalk (I mean check :D) UL for like 48 hours and there's like so many new posts! If I'm going to try and isolate at home a lot less - ie., go out and study, or interact with people irl (which I want to do), I don't know how I'll balance that and keep up with all you guys here on UL. :?:

Ok so goals time:

[flag=]en[/flag] The introduction section is only 16 pages, but since it's in French, it will take me longer to read than if it were in English. So my goal for this week will be to only read up to the end of page 8.

[flag=]fr[/flag] L'avant-propos est seul 16 pages mais il est tout en français. Ainsi j'irais le lire plus lentement qu'il est en anglais. Alors, pour cette semaine, mon but sera lire jusqu'au fin de page 8.

Week of 3/1 - 9/1:
[flag=]ta[/flag] Tamoul de poche - Avant-propos, pp. 1 - 8
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2016-01-04, 4:36

dEhiN wrote:[flag=]fr[/flag] L'avant-propos est a seulement 16 pages mais il est tout en français. Ainsi je vais le lire plus lentement que s'il était en anglais. Alors, pour cette semaine, mon but sera de lire jusqu'à la fin de la page 8.
Bonne lecture ! Dis-nous si tu apprends quelque chose d'intéressant. :)
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-01-04, 5:36

dEhiN wrote:OMG I like don't stalk (I mean check :D) UL for like 48 hours and there's like so many new posts!

I do check UL all the time, and even then, there's so many new posts at this point! :lol:

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-01-08, 2:48

Tamil is so awesome!
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2016-01-10, 18:17

So this is a repost of what I shared in the Last word of your mother tongue you have learnt thread. But since it's a bunch of Tamil vocab I've been learning, I'm going to put it here as well.

These few are from an old Anki deck I've started going through again.

பல் / பற்கள் [pal / paʈkəɭ] - tooth / teeth
கல் / கற்கள் [kal / kaʈkəɭ] - stone / stones
உபகரணம் [ubəhəɾəɳəm] - instrument
உலகம் [uləhəm] - world
அச்சம் [at͡ɕːm] - fear
கஷ்டம் [kaɕʈəm] - difficulty
கடல் [kaɖəl] - sea
கை, கையை [kai, kaijei] - hand (nom., acc.)
பங்கம் [paŋgəm] - destruction
சபதம் [sabəd̪əm] - vow

*Some pronunciation notes:

1) The letter ல் is I believe supposed to be an alveolar lateral. But over the years I've switched back and forth between saying it as alveolar and dental (so [l] or [l̯]). I think I first learned it as alveolar and then found a resource that said it was dental. I've gotten so used to it as dental, I still say it as such, even though I believe the Wikipedia page for Tamil phonology transcribes it as alveolar.

2) The letter அ word-initially is pronounced either [a] or [ɑ] depending on, I guess (?), your mother tongue. I say it as [a], even in a word like அச்சம் where it's not preceded by a consonant. But I believe I've heard native speakers who grew up only speaking Tamil say it with [ɑ].

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-01-10, 19:07

I know for sure that most of those words exist in Malayalam, too. And a lot of those are Sanskrit loanwords, the most obvious of which is probably கஷ்டம். :lol: The only ones I'm not sure are words in Malayalam as well are அச்சம், பங்கம், and maybe சபதம். I'm going to look them up right now. :D

Oh, interesting, அச்சம் is a false friend in Malayalam! பங்கம் is another Sanskrit loanword I didn't know; the Malayalam meaning is similar (my dictionary lists a lot of meanings for it!). And yep, சபதம் is another Sanskrit loanword that exists in Malayalam with a similar meaning, too.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2016-01-12, 3:44

vijayjohn wrote:I know for sure that most of those words exist in Malayalam, too. And a lot of those are Sanskrit loanwords, the most obvious of which is probably கஷ்டம். :lol: The only ones I'm not sure are words in Malayalam as well are அச்சம், பங்கம், and maybe சபதம். I'm going to look them up right now. :D

Oh, interesting, அச்சம் is a false friend in Malayalam! பங்கம் is another Sanskrit loanword I didn't know; the Malayalam meaning is similar (my dictionary lists a lot of meanings for it!). And yep, சபதம் is another Sanskrit loanword that exists in Malayalam with a similar meaning, too.

What do பங்கமும் சபதமும் (pangam and sabadham) mean in Malayalam? (If I remember correctly, the way to say "and" in Tamil is to add a -உம் suffix to both words you want to concatenate. Vijay, do you know if this is correct? Also, do you know if there are specific rules about this?)

So I noticed that the Tamil script on UL shows up fine on my phone - sans the [ dev ] tags it is as big as the English letters. But on my computer it's tiny! I'm not sure why; I'm using Chrome for both!

Update time:

[flag=]en[/flag] So I didn't do anything in Tamoul de poche last week. The thought of reading 8 pages in French overwhelmed me actually! So this week I'm going to try again, but make the goal 3 pages. Hopefully that will be more manageable.

[flag=]fr[/flag] C'est dommage, mais je ne fais rien la dernière semaine pour Tamoul de poche. J'avais peur à la pensée de lire 8 pages complètement en français! J'ai décidé à réessayer le but mais avec un petit changement : je vais lire seulement 3 pages. Je pense que ce nouveau but sera plus faisable.

Week of 10/1 - 16/1:
[flag=]ta[/flag] Tamoul de poche - Avant-propos, pp. 1 - 3[/quote]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-01-12, 4:58

dEhiN wrote:What do பங்கமும் சபதமும் (pangam and sabadham) mean in Malayalam?

Pretty much the same thing ;)
If I remember correctly, the way to say "and" in Tamil is to add a -உம் suffix to both words you want to concatenate. Vijay, do you know if this is correct? Also, do you know if there are specific rules about this?

Yeah, but it becomes -யும் after a vowel.

In Malayalam, there's also a rule where if a word ends in -ம் (I know I'm using Tamil script instead of Malayalam script here, but hopefully, you still get what I mean! :lol:), then you take off the -ம் and replace it with -வும். I don't remember whether Tamil has that rule, too, or not. I can't seem to find any examples yet, although I guess I'll keep looking unless you already know. :D Never mind, this doesn't happen in Tamil. However, if a word ends in -உ, e.g. வீடு 'house', then you drop the -உ before adding -உம், e.g. வீடும். :)

And I'll try to make some corrections of your French, though of course I'm sure Antea (for example) would know better than moi. :P ;)
C'est dommage, mais la semaine dernière je ne fais'ai rien fait la dernière semaine pour de (I might be wrong about this one, but I think it's de) Tamoul de poche. En fait, J'avais peur à la pensée de lire 8 pages complètement en français m'a accablé ! J'ai décidé à réessayer le but d'essayer encore une fois/de nouveau mais avec un petit changement : je vais lire seulement 3 pages. Je pense que ce nouveau but sera plus faisable.

I'll admit up front I'm not 100% sure about the accablé part, either. I would rephrase your last two sentences as follows (to convey what you were saying in English better):

Alors cette semaine je vais essayer de nouveau mais je vais lire seulement 3 pages. J'espère que ça/ce sera plus faisable.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2016-02-23, 16:35

vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:What do பங்கமும் சபதமும் (pangam and sabadham) mean in Malayalam?

Pretty much the same thing ;)
If I remember correctly, the way to say "and" in Tamil is to add a -உம் suffix to both words you want to concatenate. Vijay, do you know if this is correct? Also, do you know if there are specific rules about this?

Yeah, but it becomes -யும் after a vowel.

In Malayalam, there's also a rule where if a word ends in -ம் (I know I'm using Tamil script instead of Malayalam script here, but hopefully, you still get what I mean! :lol:), then you take off the -ம் and replace it with -வும். I don't remember whether Tamil has that rule, too, or not. I can't seem to find any examples yet, although I guess I'll keep looking unless you already know. :D Never mind, this doesn't happen in Tamil. However, if a word ends in -உ, e.g. வீடு 'house', then you drop the -உ before adding -உம், e.g. வீடும். :)

மெத்த நன்றி! So dos that mean in Malayalam it would be (I'm using Tamil script as well): பங்கவும் சபதவும்?

vijayjohn wrote:And I'll try to make some corrections of your French, though of course I'm sure Antea (for example) would know better than moi. :P ;)
C'est dommage, mais la semaine dernière je ne fais'ai rien fait la dernière semaine pour de (I might be wrong about this one, but I think it's de) Tamoul de poche. En fait, J'avais peur à la pensée de lire 8 pages complètement en français m'a accablé ! J'ai décidé à réessayer le but d'essayer encore une fois/de nouveau mais avec un petit changement : je vais lire seulement 3 pages. Je pense que ce nouveau but sera plus faisable.

I'll admit up front I'm not 100% sure about the accablé part, either. I would rephrase your last two sentences as follows (to convey what you were saying in English better):

Alors cette semaine je vais essayer de nouveau mais je vais lire seulement 3 pages. J'espère que ça/ce sera plus faisable.

Et merci aussi pour les corrections en français! J'ai des difficultés en pensant en français. Je n'ai pas le même problème avec l'espagnol ou le portugais, même si je sais moins de vocabulaire en eux! En fait, c'est frustrant, et je ne sais pas comment à m'améliorer mon français.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2016-02-23, 17:09

So true to my style, I'm probably going to change my TAC! (Wow, I didn't even last a full month! :D)

I haven't been on here since mid-Jan. But I have been making an effort to do a little language study every day. I started redoing my old Anki deck from August 2014. At that time I had tried to learn 20 languages at the same time, and lasted only a few months. But I did build up an Anki deck consisting of 652 words in French, German, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, Latin, Mandarin, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Tagalog, Tamil, and Turkish. Since then I've added to it, so now it's at 897. But I have been doing a little of the deck every day for almost a month now.

Actually, for anyone who uses Anki, maybe you can help me figure out a way to catch up. My conundrum is that out of the 897 cards, 619 are still new while 278 are in review. I had started with learning 1 then 3 then 5 and now I'm at 10 new words a day, which on average gives me between 20-30 reviews a day. (I have 40 reviews max, and 10 new cards max). But there are times where I want to add new words to the deck. So at this rate, and especially if I keep adding new cards, I will never learn all the new cards. I could try to go without adding any new cards for about 62 days. Although I'm hoping to vamp up my new cards rate to 20 a day. Any suggestions? One person on here suggested I bite the bullet and just do all the new cards in one 2-hour sitting. The problem I see with that is the next few days then will have a ton of cards to review. But maybe my options are really only to either vamp up slowly, which will just prolong the process, or vamp up quickly and hope my memory can take it!

I also started using Duolingo again. I caught up all my skills for Spanish and Portuguese, and almost all for French. And I recently started German and Swedish. So far I have a 26 day streak going. I'm kinda taking it easy with duo and only trying to do a min of 10 xp a day. So many days I just strengthen skills in one language. But they say consistency is key. So my main goals with doing things this way with duo (and also with going slow with Anki) is to build up consistency and not do the yo-yo approach I usually do.

And the last piece of big language learning news for me is that I started hosting the same weekly Portuguese language exchange I was hosting in Fall 2014. There aren't too many Brazilians that come out; but there is one Canadian Portuguese guy who faithfully comes out. So I'm getting a chance to listen to and learn European Portuguese. As well, I bought a copy of Practice Makes Perfect: Basic Portuguese, which for any who followed my TAC last year, might remember at one point I had borrowed from the library and was going through with a Brazilian friend. Well, this time a Korean friend of mine wants to learn Portuguese, so we're going through the book together. We try and meet once a week. It's funny - I'd still consider myself a beginner in Portuguese, but I have had enough exposure to it to be able to help her out. And I get to do more practice of stuff I know; when we get into the higher chapters, I then get to learn new grammar!

So right now, in terms of my TAC, I guess I'm going to continue with Duo, Anki, and the twice a week Portuguese practice/lessons. I have also read a couple of pages of Tamil de poche. Unfortunately I do find it a little more advanced than I thought it would be. (Or rather, my level isn't as high as I thought it was :P). I still plan to go back to it, maybe in 6 months time. And I've been slowly reading Teach Yourself Old English.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-02-25, 19:41

I have been trying to use Anki for years now and I am so confused as to how to use it. For example I couldn't figure out how to add multiple sets/languages at once on it. I want to use it though because I only hear good things about it.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2016-02-26, 3:22

Meera wrote:I have been trying to use Anki for years now and I am so confused as to how to use it. For example I couldn't figure out how to add multiple sets/languages at once on it. I want to use it though because I only hear good things about it.

Do you want to add shared ones you've downloaded? Or create your own?

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2016-02-28, 20:45

dEhiN wrote: started redoing my old Anki deck from August 2014. At that time I had tried to learn 20 languages at the same time, and lasted only a few months. But I did build up an Anki deck consisting of 652 words in French, German, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, Latin, Mandarin, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Tagalog, Tamil, and Turkish. Since then I've added to it, so now it's at 897.
Here's your first problem. If you made separate decks for each language, you'd have a much more manageable load. You can still separate them out into different decks if you're willing to put some time into it.

Actually, for anyone who uses Anki, maybe you can help me figure out a way to catch up. My conundrum is that out of the 897 cards, 619 are still new while 278 are in review. I had started with learning 1 then 3 then 5 and now I'm at 10 new words a day, which on average gives me between 20-30 reviews a day. (I have 40 reviews max, and 10 new cards max). But there are times where I want to add new words to the deck. So at this rate, and especially if I keep adding new cards, I will never learn all the new cards. I could try to go without adding any new cards for about 62 days. Although I'm hoping to vamp up my new cards rate to 20 a day. Any suggestions? One person on here suggested I bite the bullet and just do all the new cards in one 2-hour sitting. The problem I see with that is the next few days then will have a ton of cards to review. But maybe my options are really only to either vamp up slowly, which will just prolong the process, or vamp up quickly and hope my memory can take it!
Firstly, change the settings to have it show you a mix of new and review cards each day. If you create separate decks for languages, you can try to knock out one language per day until you're all caught up, which might be more manageable than one 2 hour session. Or just spend more time reviewing than you're used to every day until you're caught up. I have 8 decks (6 different languages), a little more than 5000 cards total, and I'm able to complete my daily reviews in all languages by putting in no more than 20 minutes total per day. It's all about consistency; I try to never miss a day. That keeps it all manageable.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”