2016 blog - księżyc

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

księżycowy
2016 blog - księżyc

Postby księżycowy » 2015-12-02, 16:27

Figured I'd start my blog for next year a little early. Let's get into this:

Classical/Koiné Greek:
So, I'm probably going to do this a little differently then I had originally figured, but what the hell. I'm going to start using my JACT course to get some Classical Greek going. I'll also keep up with reading some NT texts as well, during the course of things and post interesting thing here* and in my reading thread in the ACEL subforum. After all that I should have efficiently reviewed my Koiné grammar and gotten an nice foothold on Classical. No particular goals, though finishing the JACT course and finishing up the last chapters of Mounce and/or Paine might not be a bad idea.

Biblical Hebrew:
I really want to start reviewing my Hebrew as well. Especially since I'll be taking all OT courses this Spring. Plus Hebrew is cool. I'll use Kittel et. al. And once I'm polished off enough rust, I'll start up my readings again.

Japanese:
Assimil review/continuation, 5~6 times a week.

French:
Assimil review/continuation, 5~6 times a week.

And for later this coming year:

Polish:
I would like to use Polonais sans Peine, but if my French isn't quite up to snuff, I'll select something from my English books. I'd like to start it by Fall.

German:
5~6 Assimil lessons a week. I'd like to start it by Fall as well.

*That goes for all of my languages, naturally. :wink:
Last edited by księżycowy on 2017-03-24, 20:15, edited 3 times in total.

księżycowy

Re: TAC 2016 - księżyc

Postby księżycowy » 2015-12-02, 16:40

Ok, let's get into an update and weekly goals. Yes, I'd still like to set weekly goals even though I don't have any language/TAC specific goals in mind, just to keep things moving.

This week I have a paper due for my one class, so I'll be spending most of my free time on that, so no goals. I'll still try to get something done with at least a few languages.

Week of 11/29-12/5
French
Started: 0
Completed: 2/113
Goal: N/A

Japanese
Completed: 0/99

Greek
Completed: 0/19H
-Extra Reading
Started: N/A
Completed: N/A

Hebrew
Completed: 0/55
-Extra Reading

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-12-02, 16:49

Oh, and when it comes to French and Japanese, if I post something of interest I'll try to post it bilingually, as I had previously wanted to do in my last TAC thread.

Trapy

Postby Trapy » 2015-12-03, 2:18

Indo euro, semetic, japonnic, ancient and modern standardized? This is quite a list, but i am very interested in reading how you take it on!
"and now every toilet will burn to ashes!""

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-12-03, 2:35

Trapy wrote:Indo euro, semetic, japonnic, ancient and modern standardized? This is quite a list, but i am very interested in reading how you take it on!

I guess you haven't seen dEhiN's and my lists yet. :naughty:

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2015-12-03, 2:44

You really like Assimil.

Trapy

Postby Trapy » 2015-12-03, 4:22

vijayjohn wrote:
Trapy wrote:Indo euro, semetic, japonnic, ancient and modern standardized? This is quite a list, but i am very interested in reading how you take it on!

dEHIN s list was impressive as well, but yours caused my brain to malfunction. How?!?!!?!???!!!!??!!! This upcoming year will definately be fun with all these
Mega lists!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-12-03, 4:47

Trapy wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:

dEHIN s list was impressive as well, but yours caused my brain to malfunction. How?!?!!?!???!!!!??!!! This upcoming year will definately be fun with all these
Mega lists!

Thanks! :mrgreen:

Short answer: I've been learning languages (at least bits and pieces of them) for longer than I can remember, apparently.

Long answer: English is undoubtedly the language I speak most fluently. I've been living with my parents my whole life so far, so I hear Malayalam every day and have come to speak it well enough by now that I can get my parents (or at least my dad) to stop using English with me and even try to trip me up with hard words. French was the first foreign language I remember seriously learning, then German and Spanish came right after that, and I took classes for all three starting in middle school as well (even though our counselor really tried not let me at first!). I studied Latin on my own starting from when I was in elementary school, but I think it was only in middle school that I really got serious about studying it. Then I took an AP Latin course in high school after passing a test (I took AP exams for French language, French literature, Spanish language, Spanish literature, German language, and Latin language. They don't have German/Latin literature tests really :P). I started learning Russian when I was in like kindergarten, then learned a little more in elementary school, but I think it was only when I was a teenager that I got serious about that, too. I started Turkish as a teenager as well. I started going through TY Thai when I was in elementary school and got serious about it when we started going to this Thai barber, lol. So then I finished it when I was like...eleven? Or something. I started learning Mandarin semi-seriously in middle school (7th grade, I think?) and really seriously in high school, then took Chinese classes starting with the first-year second-semester course and minored in Chinese. I went through TY Urdu and TY Swahili (in that order, although I'd started TY Swahili when I was in elementary school because it was one of the first TY books I ever bought) when I was in college. Then when I was in grad school, one of my cousins was going to get married to a Croatian lady in Croatia, and we were invited, so I learned some Croatian and used it with everyone I could starting as soon as we got on the plane to Zagreb. Towards the end of grad school, I took a seminar taught by my advisor, who has done groundbreaking research on Krio and taught us some in his seminar. And when I was growing up, I used to learn bits of Indonesian (and various other languages) sometimes just because I felt like it. :P I started trying to learn Tagalog sooort of seriously maybe five years ago or something because I've ended up meeting my fair share of people who speak it. Everything else is pretty much in there just for diversity because why the fuck not? :lol:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-12-03, 11:03

OldBoring wrote:You really like Assimil.

I like the set up and the daily lesson thing the most. To be honest, I find learning from your typical grammar heavy textbook to be a bit boring and slower. I figure at the least, Assimil (and courses like it) is a good precursor to the grammar heavy stuff and will make it easier in the long run.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2015-12-03, 15:34

Yeah. Screw those UniLangers who prefer heavy grammar! :twisted:

Trapy

Postby Trapy » 2015-12-05, 2:14

OldBoring wrote:Yeah. Screw those UniLangers who prefer heavy grammar! :twisted:

Wikipedia wrote:It was also at this Council that a cardinal ventured to correct Sigismund's Latin (he had construed the word schisma as feminine rather than neuter). To this Sigismund replied:

I am king of the Romans and above grammar.[7]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-12-09, 16:49

Ok, now that my final paper has been handed in, it's time to kick this TAC/blog/whatever-ya-call-it off! :P
よし!今ついに私の論文提出する。TAC/ブログ/何とか時間始まる。

Here's my plan through 12/19:
12/19までこれは私の計画だ:

French
Started: 2
Completed: --
Goal: 7

Japanese
Goal: 7

Greek
Goal: 1.J/19.H
-Extra Reading (John)
Goal: 1:1-1:5

Hebrew
Goal: 5/55
-Extra Reading

Yeah, I wasn't sure how to say "whatchamacallit" in Japanese. :P

EDIT: Although looking at the entry in wiktionary for "whatchamacallit," I get directed to 何とか as a Japanese equivalent. :hmm:

Yes, I keep blowing up the Japanese text. I'm blind to all those small lines in the kanji.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2015-12-09, 17:03

ワチャマカアリット〜 O(∩_∩)O~~

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-12-09, 17:56

そうです。 :lol:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-12-09, 18:00

As soon as I saw that you'd replied, I knew you must have said " :lol: ."

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-12-10, 9:28

Impressive plans księżyc! And your creating weekly goals is making me want to do the same. I look forward to reading your TAC (PLB :D). And of course, asking you any Koine Greek questions I have. :twisted:
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-12-10, 10:45

They might be a little too impressive, but we'll see. :lol:

And ask away! I might not always know the answer, but I'll give it my best shot :wink:

On a side note, I do hope someone is checking my Japanese. I know there aren't a lot of us Japanese learners around, especially at higher levels.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-12-10, 17:20

księżycowy wrote:On a side note, I do hope someone is checking my Japanese.

I am, but my own Japanese is pretty shitty, too (almost certainly worse than yours - for instance, I have no idea what つい means), so I don't think it helps you much. :lol:

księżycowy

Re: 2016 blog - księżyc

Postby księżycowy » 2015-12-10, 21:50

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E3%81 ... 4%E3%81%AB

Yeah, I was afraid of that. As I said earlier, I know we are a rare breed here on Unilang. Oddly enough.....

Might be one more reason to start using Lang-8, like I've been pondering.

księżycowy

Re: 2016 Blog - księżyc

Postby księżycowy » 2015-12-22, 13:52

So, since it's holiday time once again, and work has been stressful, I haven't done much of anything.

Let's see here, I have one more week (after finishing this week off) to survive before things go back to normal at work. I guess my next set of goals should reflect that. :P

You may notice I've also taken off the extra reading I was planning to do for Greek. I need to recover some of my vocabulary and grammar before I do that.

Week of 12/22/15 - 01/02/16:
French
Started: 2
Completed: 3
Last Goal: 7
New Goal: 5

Japanese
Completed: 1
Last Goal: 5
New Goal: 5

Greek
Goal: 1.J/19.H
-Extra Reading

Hebrew
Goal: 5/55
-Extra Reading

I'm probably over estimating how much time I'll spend on language learning until after new years, but meh.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”