TAC 2016 - Levi (DE, EN, ES, HU, RO)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Levike
Re: TAC 2015 - Levi (DE, EN, ES, HU, RO)

Postby Levike » 2015-10-17, 19:41

vijayjohn wrote:
Levike wrote:The company's name is MSG

lol

Münchner Software Gesellschaft

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-10-17, 19:58

Levike wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:

lol

Münchner Software Gesellschaft

Lemme guess, you didn't get it. ;)

Here, I usually see it being used for this.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-10-18, 0:23

vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:
Levike wrote:*I have no idea how to spell that.

Now you do! I've also seen it spelled as "yippy".

Really? Wiktionary only has <yippee> and <yippie>. I might've seen <yippy> before, but never <yippi>, I'm pretty sure.

Actually, when I saw him write that, I thought he meant how to spell it in German. Apparently in German, it can be spelled <jippie>.

Yeah you're right; I've seen <yippi> before but maybe only written by other ESL speakers. I think from native speakers I've seen <yippee> the most and I'm not sure if I've ever seen <yippie> although I'd pronounce them all the same.

vijayjohn wrote:

lol

Hehe, yeah I totally missed that when he first wrote the name! :D
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-11-02, 20:33

[flag=]de[/flag] [flag=]hu[/flag] [flag=]ro[/flag]

Today was my first day at work and I really enjoyed it.
The most fun part was that I had to speak all three languages today. So yay for that. :)

Although I still find it unconfortable to speak German on the phone. Makes me feel like this.
On the other side of the phone they are probably like "Why am I speaking to Yoda?".

On 16th of November we're going to Braunschweig *cough* somehow and we're going to spend 2 weeks there. It's going to be me, a Romanian girl and a lot of Germans. We have 2 weeks to learn Android so "no pressure".

Currently I'm the youngest.

[flag=]de[/flag] I've been watching Full Metal Alchemist with German subtitles for a while (39 episodes until now) and it did help my reading skills and I probably did learn some new words, which is great.

Little complaint about the anime: I find it annoying that they are speaking in Japanese, but the character names are German or English-ish. Especially the way they pronounce their names, they manage to pronounce Edward Elric like Edoardo Eluhrikuh. But the plot's great, so many thanks to its creator and to whoever put the subtitles.

[flag=]hu[/flag] Whilst in Germany I switched my phone to German. Not I wanted to switch it back to Hungarian, but I realised I can't find anything on it since I got so used to the German names. I was searching for Einstellungen (Settings) until I realised that not it's Beállitás. I switched it back.

Sidenote: Today the application 4 of my colleagues were working on had some localisation thing in it and they were trying it out and these are parts of the conversation I heard:
► Show Spoiler

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-11-03, 2:07

Levike wrote:[flag=]de[/flag] [flag=]hu[/flag] [flag=]ro[/flag]

Today was my first day at work and I really enjoyed it.
The most fun part was that I had to speak all three languages today. So yay for that. :)

Yay, congrats!

Levike wrote:On 16th of November we're going to Braunschweig *cough* somehow and we're going to spend 2 weeks there. It's going to be me, a Romanian girl and a lot of Germans. We have 2 weeks to learn Android so "no pressure".

What are you used to - iPhone? Android's not that tough (side note: why the f*** is tough spelled that way? I had to look it up because I couldn't remember the spelling for a second), especially if you're comfortable with Linux in any way.

Levike wrote:[flag=]de[/flag] I've been watching Full Metal Alchemist with German subtitles for a while (39 episodes until now) and it did help my reading skills and I probably did learn some new words, which is great.

Where'd you find the German subs? (<- No WWII movie reference pun intended). I tend to watch my anime on Netflix and it sucks because it only has English subs.

Levike wrote:[flag=]hu[/flag] Whilst in Germany I switched my phone to German. Not I wanted to switch it back to Hungarian, but I realised I can't find anything on it since I got so used to the German names. I was searching for Einstellungen (Settings) until I realised that not it's Beállitás. I switched it back.

I'm not sure what you were trying to say with that first "not". You could just leave it out. Or if you are constrating being in Germany versus Hungary, and you are in Hungary now, it's better to say "now". If you are no longer in Hungary but were at one point, then you could say "Then when I was in Hungary, I wanted...".

Levike wrote:Sidenote: Today the application 4 of my colleagues were working on had some localisation thing in it and they were trying it out and these are parts of the conversation I heard:
► Show Spoiler

:rotfl:
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-11-03, 10:48

dEhiN wrote:
Levike wrote:We have 2 weeks to learn Android so "no pressure".

What are you used to - iPhone? Android's not that tough.

It's about writing Android applications. :)

I've been watching Full Metal Alchemist with German subtitles for a while (39 episodes until now)

Where'd you find the German subs?

I just googled "Fullmetal Alchemist untertitel deutsch" and it was one of the first links. :silly:

Here's the link: http://www.anime-tube.tv/video-6287.html

I'm not sure what you were trying to say with that first "not".

I misspelt "now".

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-11-28, 20:30

[flag=]de[/flag]

Just returned from Germany, was fun finally speaking the language for 2 weeks.
Also, first time flying, so yay for that.

In this delegation there were only two of us, me and a Romanian girl. It was that fun at the end we started speaking a mixture of Romanian and German, especially whilst driving. Probably thanks to the GPS, which was giving directions in German. So sentences like "Don't forget to benden yourself nach vier km at the next ausfahrt" became quite common.

Team and department meetings were very funny. It's always "fun" speaking German in front of 10 to 50 people. We even played rock-paper-scissors to decide who's be the next sacrifice. :mrgreen:

Also, I've been pronouncing the village's name in which we were living wrong the whole time.
It's VEchelde and not VeCHELde. :yep:

[flag=]es[/flag]

My Spanish colleague said that my Spanish is great. That really made my day.
Last edited by Levike on 2015-11-28, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2015-11-28, 20:40

Levike wrote:Team and department meetings were very funny. It's always "fun" speaking German in front of 10 to 50 people. We even played rock-paper-scissors to decide who's be the next sacrifice. :mrgreen:

I am relatively surprised you don't just do the presentations in English for those German speakers.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-11-28, 20:45

Serafín wrote:I am relatively surprised you don't just do the presentations in English for those German speakers.

I don't want to be the only one speaking in a foreign language and not in German like everyone else.

And it's probably entertaining to hear my weird accent.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2015-11-30, 15:08

So the Romanian part of the German Empire doesn't speak German anymore huh.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-11-30, 16:05

OldBoring wrote:So the Romanian part of the German Empire doesn't speak German anymore huh.

Cum ai ajuns la concluzia aceea?

How did you reach that conclusion?

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2015-11-30, 16:08

Never mind. Wikipedia says There are 25,000 native German speakers in Romania. :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-11-30, 16:36

Not so hard for me to believe. German settlers were openly encouraged to settle in parts of Romania at least twice, and Romania was Nazi Germany's main source of oil.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-11-30, 16:51

vijayjohn wrote:German settlers were openly encouraged to settle in parts of Romania at least twice.

Which two are you referring to?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-11-30, 16:54

Levike wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:German settlers were openly encouraged to settle in parts of Romania at least twice.

Which two are you referring to?

The early 1200s when the king of Hungary invited them to Transylvania and the end of the 18th century when a bunch were brought into the Banat during the reign of Maria Theresa

Levike

Re: TAC 2016 - Levi (DE, EN, ES, HU, RO)

Postby Levike » 2016-02-16, 19:55

Renamed the thread TAC 2016, because... continuity. :whistle:

[flag=]de[/flag]

Probably the only language that got better, mostly because we have to interact with our German colleagues from Brunswick (Braunschweig) every day. Now that's fun.

In fact it's mutually beneficial:
I'm practising their language and they are provided with live comedy as I am probably butchering every sentence.

And two colleagues from Brunswick are going to be visiting us for 2 weeks (since we went to Germany for 2 weeks, so it's only fair) and will be working with us in one room. I'm going to enjoy showing them around.

One funny thing is that many people feel like writing my name with a "y", like Mayer instead of Maier. Even my first name often ends up being Levy and not Levi. What's up with this y-mania?!

[flag=]en[/flag]

Lately one of our customers is Skoda and their representative doesn't speak German so all of our meetings/conferences with him are in English. There's nothing more entertaining than a room of Germans, Hungarians, Romanians and Czechs talking in English. I think my English accent is compromised. :yep:

Maybe not concerning only my English, but I was told that the way I write letters in English (mostly to Skoda's people) may seem soulless, in the sense that I come off as not so friendly or too serious/aggressive. For example I was advised to write "should" instead of "must" or "we'd appreciate" instead of "we want".

[flag=]hu[/flag][flag=]ro[/flag]

In the office we're 3 Hungarians and 4 Romanians and in the dorm we're 2 Hungarians and 1 Romanian staying in one apartment, so I think I've got these covered. :mrgreen:

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2016-02-16, 21:59

Levike wrote:and they are provided with live comedy as I am probably butchering every sentence.

Ich glaube dir kein einziges Wort davon.

One funny thing is that many people feel like writing my name with a "y", like Mayer instead of Maier. Even my first name often ends up being Levy and not Levi. What's up with this y-mania?!

Mayer or Meyer are pretty common spellings in Germany, even though Maier and Meier exist as well. As for Levy, I don't know, maybe because it looks English and therefore cooler?

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2016-02-16, 22:33

Levike wrote:Maybe not concerning only my English, but I was told that the way I write letters in English (mostly to Skoda's people) may seem soulless, in the sense that I come off as not so friendly or too serious/aggressive. For example I was advised to write "should" instead of "must" or "we'd appreciate" instead of "we want".
Oh yeah, in English, indirectness equals politeness. Your second example is quintessential. Compare "I want you to sign this paperwork" and "I'd greatly appreciate it if you would sign this paperwork". The first can definitely come across as too aggressive, whereas the second is very polite. For a middle ground, you might say, "I'd like you to sign this paperwork" or "Please sign this paperwork".

On should vs. must, that's not just an issue of politeness; the two words have noticeably different meanings. "Must" means that the action is necessary while "should" is more of a strong suggestion. However, because it has a softer meaning, "should" is often used as a polite synonym of "must". There's that indirectness again.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-02-17, 13:52

kevin wrote:
Levike wrote:and they are provided with live comedy as I am probably butchering every sentence.

Ich glaube dir kein einziges Wort davon.

Du vertraust mir zu viel. :whistle:

Dormouse559 wrote:Your second example is quintessential. Compare "I want you to sign this paperwork" and "I'd greatly appreciate it if you would sign this paperwork". The first can definitely come across as too aggressive, whereas the second is very polite.

I get it, but I somehow cannot help it and think that this is somewhat like acting fake. In the sense that for example the "I'd appreciate" thing sounds more like saying something you don't actually mean.

I don't know the English word for this, but in Hungarian we say segnyalás (literally butt-licking), when you're trying act nice, or nicer than usual, to someone just to get by or get favours.

All I'm saying is that it sounds somewhat forced.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2016-02-17, 15:32

Levike wrote:I get it, but I somehow cannot help it and think that this is somewhat like acting fake. In the sense that for example the "I'd appreciate" thing sounds more like saying something you don't actually mean.
[…]
All I'm saying is that it sounds somewhat forced.

Well, you could call any politeness strategy "fake" because you are acting in a way you otherwise wouldn't, often because it's to your social advantage. And presumably you do want something from these people; being nice to them might help with that. There's a saying: "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar".

As for whether these phrases sound forced, they're what people expect in formal correspondence, so that isn't a problem.

Levike wrote:I don't know the English word for this, but in Hungarian we say segnyalás (literally butt-licking), when you're trying act nice, or nicer than usual, to someone just to get by or get favours.
Take your pick: ass kissing/kissing ass, brown nosing, kissing up, sucking up, boot licking. There're probably others; those are just the ones I know.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”