Hebrew Translation Game

Mikey93
Re: Hebrew Translation Game

Postby Mikey93 » 2015-03-07, 20:50

Babelfish wrote:
Mikey93 wrote:What struck me perhaps most of all was the total lack of sympathy and compassion on his part.
מה שאולי הכה אותי בהלם* יותר מכל היה חוסר הסימפטיה והחמלה המוחלט מצדו.
*Quite possibly not the best translation, maybe this is what happens when you have two native languages and have an exact "feel" about the meaning of a certain expression but just can't phrase it properly.

Yeah, happens to me very often, even though English is not my native language. Anyway, would "זעזע" fit the context too?
Yesterday I attended a Purim party dressed up as Cousin It, and returned home appropriately drunk.
:drunk:

אֶתְמוֹל נָכַחְתִי בִּמְסִיבַּת פּוּרִים מְחוּפַשֹ לְדוֹדַן זֶה, וְחָזַרְתִי הַבַּיְתָה שִכּוֹר כְּלוֹט (כַּהוֹגֶן).

Is it really so or is it a piss-take? :shock: It strikes me as surprising since you said you don't dress up on Purim.
Native: (sk) (cs)
Advanced: (en)
Intermediate:(fr) (he)
Beginner: (ar) (es)

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2015-03-13, 15:45

האם זה באמת כך או שזו פרודיה? :shock: זה מפתיע אותי כי אמרת שאתה לא מתחפש בפורים.

I usually don't dress up, indeed, but this time I had a rough idea for a simple costume and even found time to buy a couple of accessories.
BTW זעזע would work, yes, it literally means "to shock" which is probably why it didn't occur to me...

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2015-03-16, 13:15

אָמְנָם, בְּדֶרֶךְ כְּלָל אֲנִי לֹא מִתְחַפֵּשׂ, אֲבָל הַפַּעַם הָיָה לִי מוּשָׂג כְּלָלִי לְתַחְפּוֹשֶׂת פְּשוּטָה וְאֲפִילוּ מָצָאתִי זְמַן לִקְנוֹת כַּמָה אֲבִיזָרִים.
Negligence kills relationships. A careless person often finds himself in regrettable situations and he unavoidably faces other people's discontentment and dissatisfaction.

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2015-03-21, 13:15

הזנחה הורסת קשרים. אדם אדיש מוצא את עצמו לעתים קרובות במצבים מצערים, ובאופן בלתי-נמנע עומד מול אי-שביעות רצונם של אחרים.

It's amazing how often I use Morfix to find an exact translation between English and Hebrew, even though I know both at a native level :shock:

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2015-03-24, 20:59

מַדְהִים כַּמָה פְעָמִים אֲנִי מִשְתַמֵש בְּמוֹרְפִיקְס כְּדֵי לִמְצוֹא תַרְגוּם מְדוּיָק מֵאַנְגְלִית לְעִבְרִית, אַעַ"פ שְתֵיהֶן שְׂפוֹת אֵם שֶלִי.

You have always been sailing through all your tests. Luck, sheer luck!

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2015-03-27, 16:49

Mikey93 wrote:
אַעַ"פ שֶשְתֵיהֶן

תמיד עברת בקלות את כל המבחנים שלך. מזל, פשוט מזל!

My dad just got back from a short business trip to Italy, with sweets and Porcini mushrooms :yum:

Hadronic

Postby Hadronic » 2015-03-28, 22:00

אבא שלי חזר הרגע מנסיעת עסקים קצרה באיטליה , עם ממתקים ופטריות פורצ'יני.

No matter how hard I try, whatever I say always seems to be greeted with rolling eyes.
(fr) native, (en) fluent, (he) advanced, (nv) learning

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2015-03-29, 21:25

I can’t phrase this any better.
לֹא מְשַנֶה כַּמָה קָשֶה אֲנִי מְנַסֶה, כָּל מָה שֶלֹא אוֹמַר* הֵם תָמִיד מְפַלְבֵּלִים בְּעֵינֵיהֶם.

*Perhaps it is more common to say כל מה שאני אוֹמֵר?
He kept assuring us that his unemployment was just a transitional phase in his life. But there was no speedy change on the horizon, in fact, the situation got progressively worse.

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2015-04-04, 14:54

Mikey93 wrote:I can’t phrase this any better.
לֹא מְשַנֶה כַּמָה קָשֶה אֲנִי מְנַסֶה, כָּל מָה שֶלֹא אוֹמַר* הֵם תָמִיד מְפַלְבֵּלִים בְּעֵינֵיהֶם.

*Perhaps it is more common to say כל מה שאני אוֹמֵר?
It's phrased just fine, actually. כל מה שאני אומר would indeed be a bit more colloquial.
Mikey93 wrote:He kept assuring us that his unemployment was just a transitional phase in his life. But there was no speedy change on the horizon, in fact, the situation got progressively worse.
הוא הבטיח לנו שוב ושוב שהיותו מובטל היא רק שלב זמני בחייו. אבל לא היה שום שינוי קרוב באופק, למעשה, המצב נעשה יותר ויותר גרוע.

We've gotten a week off work for Passover. Slightly annoying because we don't have a choice, but getting some rest and idling around is always welcome with me :mrgreen:

Hadronic

Postby Hadronic » 2015-04-05, 19:18

לקחנו שבוע חופש לפסח (בשביל פסח?). קצת מעצבן כי לא היה לנו ברירה, אבל לנוח קצת ולהתבטל זה תמיד טוב לי.

There's more to being a good mother than an in-depth knowledge of one's children's vegetable preferences.
(fr) native, (en) fluent, (he) advanced, (nv) learning

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2015-04-08, 16:38

לִהְיוֹת אִמָא טוֹבָה זֶה לֹא רַק יֶדַע מַעֲמִיק שֶל אֵיזֶה יְרָקוֹת הַיְלָדִים שֶלָךְ מַעֲדִיפִים לֶאֱכוֹל.

The doctor had to desensitize the tissue before the surgery as the sensory apparatus would have made the pain unbearable. So it wasn't just a preventative precaution.

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2015-04-11, 14:22

Hadronic wrote:לקחנו קיבלנו שבוע חופש בגלל/לרגל פסח. קצת מעצבן כי לא היתה לנו ברירה, אבל לנוח קצת ולהתבטל זה תמיד טוב לי (better: מבחינתי).

הרופא היה חייב לאלחש את הרקמה לפני הניתוח, כי המנגנון החושי? היה הופך את הכאב לבלתי-נסבל. אז זה לא היה רק אמצעי זהירות [מניעתי].

To be honest, I've hated making up sentences ever since elementary school. I guess I'm not that creative :P

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2015-04-12, 9:30

Well, I suppose this is not your favorite game then. :P
אִם לְדַבֵּר בְּכֵנוּת, שָׂנֵאתִי יְצִירַת מִשְפָּטִים מֵאָז בֵּית הַסֵפֶר הַיְסוֹדִי. אֲנִי מַנִיחַ שֶאֲנִי לֹא כָּל כָּךְ יְצִירָתִי.
If you ask your sister to go to the movies with you, you are really scraping the barrel.

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2015-04-24, 16:12

אם אתה מבקש מאחותך לבוא איתך לסרט, אתה באמת מגרד את תחתית החבית.

It's a good practice for composing sentences in a foreign language, it's just the making-sentences-up part that I like, well, less :P

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2015-04-28, 10:39

Babelfish wrote:
אם אתה מבקש מאחותך לבוא איתך לסרט, אתה באמת מגרד את תחתית החבית.
Do you really have such an expression in Hebrew?
It's a good practice for composing sentences in a foreign language, it's just the making-sentences-up part that I like, well, less :P
A though nut to crack, this one! :)
זֶה תִרְגוּל טוֹב לְחִיבּוּר מִשְפָּטִים בְּשָׂפָה זָרָה, רַק שֶאֲנִי פָּשוּט אוֹהֵב, וּבְכֵן, פָּחוֹת אֶת יְצִירַת הַמִשְפָּטִים בְּתוֹר שֶכָּזֶה. :?:
In modern democracy you are not supposed to take the law into your own hands. That's what mafia does.

Baldanders

Postby Baldanders » 2015-05-05, 23:24

Mikey93 wrote:זֶה תִרְגוּל טוֹב לְחִיבּוּר מִשְפָּטִים בְּשָׂפָה זָרָה, רַק שֶאֲנִי פָּשוּט אוֹהֵב, וּבְכֵן, פָּחוֹת אֶת יְצִירַת הַמִשְפָּטִים בְּתוֹר שֶכָּזֶה.

Your ובכן is oddly placed and interrupts the flow of the sentence (you will be able to see it if you translate the sentence back to English).

Personally, I find the very existence of the word ובכן odd. Its current usage imitates the use of English "well" as a filler word, which is very much a thing of the spoken language, and yet it never quite managed to make it itself into the spoken language, which makes it seem a bit fake and alien when encountered in text.
A bit like the interjection הו, which we also mimic, except this did manage to gain some hold in the spoken language.

anyway:

בדמוקרטיה מודרנית אין אדם אמור לקחת את החוק לידיו. זה מה שעושה מאפיה.

"It looks down on all that are haughty;
it is king over all that are proud.”

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2015-05-07, 12:33

Golv wrote: and yet it never quite managed to make it itself into the spoken language, which makes it seem a bit fake and alien when encountered in text.
What do you mean? I've heard it used a lot.
"It looks down on all that are haughty;
it is king over all that are proud.”
Quoting from the Hebrew Bible? Are you for real? :D
הוּא מִסְתַכֵּל בְּבוּז עַל כָּל אֲשֶר יָהִיר, הוּא מֶלֶךְ עַל כָּל אֲשֶר שַחְצָן

"These bridges are made from natural light that I pump in from the surface. If you rubbed your cheek on one, it would be like standing outside with the sun shining on your face. It would also set your hair on fire, so don't actually do it."

Baldanders

Postby Baldanders » 2015-05-13, 23:36

Mikey93 wrote: What do you mean? I've heard it used a lot.

Really? I believe it to be close to non-existent in speech.
It strikes me as a bold form of anglicism, which is made doubly awkward by the fact that not only is ובכן far from being a casual word, but the very manner in which it is often used is alien to spoken Hebrew.

Quoting from the Hebrew Bible? Are you for real? :D

:wink:

"These bridges are made from natural light that I pump in from the surface. If you rubbed your cheek on one, it would be like standing outside with the sun shining on your face. It would also set your hair on fire, so don't actually do it."

הגשרים האלו עשויים מאור טבעי שאני מזרימה פנימה מהקרקע. אם תחככי באחד מהם את לחיך, זה יהיה כמו לעמוד בחוץ כשהשמש מאירה על פנייך. זה גם יבעיר את השיער שלך, אז אל תעשי את זה באמת.

I think it is time I learned to work this laundry machine.

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2015-05-14, 12:08

Golv wrote:
Mikey93 wrote: What do you mean? I've heard it used a lot.

Really? I believe it to be close to non-existent in speech.
It strikes me as a bold form of anglicism, which is made doubly awkward by the fact that not only is ובכן far from being a casual word, but the very manner in which it is often used is alien to spoken Hebrew.

Not really... it was actually a little of an exaggeration. I've heard it just a few times in the news and on the radio. Well, anyway, that is good to know.
I think it is time I learned to work this laundry machine.
אֲנִי סָבוּר כִּי הִגִיעַ הַזְמַן שֶאֶלְמַד אֵיךְ לְהִשְתַמֵש בִּמְכוֹנַת הַכְּבִיסָה הַזֹאת.

To have or not to have, that is the question.

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2015-05-16, 12:10

שיהיה לך או שלא יהיה לך, זו השאלה.
You just had to replace the classic "to be" with a verb which doesn't exist in Hebrew, hadn't you? :evil: The best I could come up with is something like the above.

Return to “Hebrew (עברית)”