Popular media in Sami

captainporridge
Popular media in Sami

Postby captainporridge » 2012-03-26, 20:26

I'd like to know what sorts of popular media are translated into Sami. Harry Potter, Moomins, tv shows, etc. Does the language board keep tabs on this sort of thing? Can you actually buy things like this? Is anyone doing fan-translations?

This is because when I look for Sami books all I find are books that are also about Sami. I don't find English classics or cartoons or other popular things that have been translated. If anyone knows of a publishing company or something that tends to translate things like that, can you tell me? I have little Sami-learning cousins but at this rate they might grow up and forget how to read, if there's nothing interesting to read. (Plus one day I might learn Sami myself, but it's the same thing, I don't want to only read stuff about Sami either.)

I think Pippi Longstocking is in some kind of Sami but that's all I know.
English: native. Swedish: C1 level. Icelandic: B level, but forgetting how to write. Faroese: C in understanding, A in writing. Japanese: Just starting to learn.

chung

Re: Popular media in Sami

Postby chung » 2012-03-27, 17:52

There're issues of Donald Duck in Northern Sámi although it doesn't seem that they're still in print. See this article for more information. I also know of translations of the Little Prince in Inari Sámi, Northern Sámi, Skolt Sámi. Karabok in Norway sells a copy of Mo son de geavvá? (translation of one of the "Moomin" books into Northern Sámi). Lastly there's a translation into Northern Sámi and Norwegian for a theatrical adaptation by Beaivváš Sámi Nášunálateáhter of John Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men"

However translations into any Sámic language of well-known literature / texts are still rather scarce. Your best bet is to visit the Sámi bookstores or cultural centers/museums in person as I suspect that not all of their inventory is listed on-line. I know of Karabok and Idut AS in Norway, and have bought stuff in Inari and Northern Sámi in person at Sámi Duodji ry and the gift shop in Siida in Finland.

Duiskanieida

Re: Popular media in Sami

Postby Duiskanieida » 2012-04-11, 8:05

captainporridge wrote:I think Pippi Longstocking is in some kind of Sami but that's all I know.

I think I once saw a sámi version of "Ronja Rövardotter" as well. :wink:

But you are right, most of the books in any of the sámi languages seem to be original texts.

The Sámi Duodji shops in Inari and Enontekiö are indeed good places to purchase sámi books, as well as the book stores in Karasjok and Kautokeino.
On the internet, you also have the publishers' websites www.davvi.no, www.dat.net and www.calliidlagadus.org.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]fr[/flag] [flag]en[/flag] [flag]fi[/flag] [flag]sme[/flag]
Jođi lea buoret go oru.

Return to “Uralic Languages”