Proposed forum cleanup?

Steisi

Postby Steisi » 2008-01-15, 10:04

Bures,

I'm back and though I've resolved to stop using the forum, I'll still use the Sámi and Finnish language threads here.

Today I received "Kuolaan", a book in Sámi, Finnish, Swedish, English and Russian from Leif Rantala. It's a good resource for anyone who's interested in the Kola Peninsula.

Also I've managed to get my hands on (but cleverly left in Rovaniemi) a book on Sámi handicraft. It's kind of an opinto-opas (study plan?) for art students but it explains a lot of the techniques and history, too from what I saw. It's in Sámi, English and Finnish.

(not sure where to put those).
I really like the Kauderwelsch thing, btw, thanks!

PS it's good to see Duiskanieida. I tried to contact her once but her settings were such that she didn't want to be contacted :ohno:
Native: English
Fluent: Finnish
Want to resuscitate: German
Actively learning: Hebrew
Wishes she had time for: Northern Sámi
En usko humalaan.

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2008-01-15, 14:10

I'll probably go to my aunt and work in Sápmi for a month or so this summer! I am going to try to learn some 8)

Maybe not the right place to say this *oops*!!
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Duiskanieida

Postby Duiskanieida » 2008-01-15, 16:08

Stacy wrote:PS it's good to see Duiskanieida. I tried to contact her once but her settings were such that she didn't want to be contacted :ohno:

OH, were there? :wink: What about PM? :D

Duiskanieida

Postby Duiskanieida » 2008-01-15, 16:09

Aleco wrote:I'll probably go to my aunt and work in Sápmi for a month or so this summer! I am going to try to learn some 8)

Where exactly are you going to work?

Steisi

Postby Steisi » 2008-01-15, 17:10

Duiskanieida wrote:
Stacy wrote:PS it's good to see Duiskanieida. I tried to contact her once but her settings were such that she didn't want to be contacted :ohno:

OH, were there? :wink: What about PM? :D

Alas! Well, I thought since you didn't want to be contacted through the mail thing you wouldn't want me stalking you via PM 8) But it's great that you're here, and that's the most important thing :mrgreen:
En usko humalaan.

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2008-01-16, 20:35

Aleco wrote:I'll probably go to my aunt and work in Sápmi for a month or so this summer! I am going to try to learn some 8)

Maybe not the right place to say this *oops*!!

Are you going to my hometown, in the middle of Southern Sápmi? :lol:

We'll have a Biathlon WC in a couple of weeks, and I am sure both lots of norwegians and lots of germans will come to our dear Sápmi. :wink:
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2008-01-16, 21:40

Duiskanieida wrote:

Where exactly are you going to work?

:oops: Was going to Hammerfest - has been the plan for a year, but now we've decided to get a dog, so I guess it will some time to :oops: Oh, I wish I could go! :D

*Gonna see the new Lappish movie "Kautokeino-opprøret" soon :mrgreen: *
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)

nighean-neonach

Postby nighean-neonach » 2008-01-16, 22:22

Aleco wrote:*Gonna see the new Lappish movie "Kautokeino-opprøret" soon :mrgreen: *

I'm looking forward to that too! :D

Stacy, it's great to see you back! :D :D :D How was your holiday? I'm going to write you a PM about a few things soon, I'm just awfully busy at university at the moment (end of term drawing near :shock: ).
Writing poetry in: Scottish Gaelic, German, English.
Reading poetry in: Latin, Old Irish, French, Ancient Greek, Old Norse.
Talking to people in the shop in: Lithuanian, Norwegian, Irish Gaelic, Saami.
Listening to people talking in the shop in: Icelandic, Greenlandic, Finnish.

Duiskanieida

Postby Duiskanieida » 2008-01-17, 9:44

Aleco wrote:*Gonna see the new Lappish movie "Kautokeino-opprøret" soon :mrgreen: *

Oh, you lucky one! :D
But I also hope to see it in March in Kautokeino.

Has everyone seen the trailer?
http://www1.nrk.no/nett-tv/klipp/306120

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2008-01-17, 14:54

Duiskanieida wrote:

Oh, you lucky one! :D
But I also hope to see it in March in Kautokeino.

Has everyone seen the trailer?
http://www1.nrk.no/nett-tv/klipp/306120

On TV every single day :lol:

Steisi

Postby Steisi » 2008-01-17, 20:11

nighean-neonach wrote:

Stacy, it's great to see you back! :D :D :D How was your holiday? I'm going to write you a PM about a few things soon, I'm just awfully busy at university at the moment (end of term drawing near :shock: ).

Aleco: The wife in the polish diplomat family I work for is taking part in the Sámi film festival this year, as far as I understood from her today. It's in Sodankylä if you can make your way there :D

nighean-neonach: It was great thanks! I'm also quite busy right now because my term just started and I've already managed to choose the wrong "linja", cancel it, choose another one, cancel it and eventually find out the right one... :shock: I will send you the promised Davvin cassette and tape this weekend though :yep:

My friend's family in Rovaniemi are friends with a Skolt Sámi family.. I'm going to see what I can do regards surgically attaching myself to them OR them to this forum :mrgreen:
En usko humalaan.

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2008-01-17, 20:29

Stacy wrote:
nighean-neonach wrote:

Aleco: The wife in the polish diplomat family I work for is taking part in the Sámi film festival this year, as far as I understood from her today. It's in Sodankylä if you can make your way there :D

Not at chance :? Too bad :(

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2008-01-17, 21:01

Stacy wrote:
nighean-neonach wrote:

Oh, I thought you were a student. When did you graduate from Helsingfors university? :)
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Steisi

Postby Steisi » 2008-01-17, 21:09

Hunef wrote:

Oh, I thought you were a student. When did you graduate from Helsingfors university? :)

I study and work three tutoring jobs :yep:
En usko humalaan.

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2008-01-17, 21:28

Stacy wrote:
Hunef wrote:

So what kind of duties do you have? Au pair? Cleaning the house? :)
Carl Sagan

Steisi

Postby Steisi » 2008-01-17, 21:29

Hunef wrote:
Stacy wrote:
Hunef wrote:

So what kind of duties do you have? Au pair? Cleaning the house? :)

Answer in pm.
En usko humalaan.

Duiskanieida

Postby Duiskanieida » 2008-01-18, 10:44

Stacy wrote: are friends with a Skolt Sámi family..

That sounds great. Are they from Sevettijärvi? I love this place. With the best bar of the world (Sevetin Baari)! :D

Steisi

Postby Steisi » 2008-01-18, 16:16

Duiskanieida wrote:
Stacy wrote: are friends with a Skolt Sámi family..

That sounds great. Are they from Sevettijärvi? I love this place. With the best bar of the world (Sevetin Baari)! :D

The (short) answer I got was: "Yes. Somethingnoff". :D I'll try to get a more accurate answer next time I'm there. :waytogo:
En usko humalaan.

Duiskanieida

Postby Duiskanieida » 2008-01-18, 18:42

Stacy wrote:Somethingnoff

Fofnoff, Moshnikoff, Sverloff...? :D

Here's a nice website about the skoltsámi in Sevettijärvi (only in Finnish):

http://www.saunalahti.fi/aamusumu/