Something ridiculous (anti-recommendation)

nighean-neonach
Something ridiculous (anti-recommendation)

Postby nighean-neonach » 2007-11-26, 11:59

There's that blog over there http://arran2.blogspot.com/ where some guys in the USA write about Sámi culture, and they translated the first "Gulahalan" lessons into English, too. There were lots of mistakes in the translations, though, and I wrote a few comments with corrections. The whole thing seemed to be rather inactive for a while and I was wondering if anyone was still working on it at all. I always find it a bit annoying when such stuff is around on the web, as some people were writing "thank you" and stuff in there, so they were obviously using the translations, and the editors did not even write anything like "we are only beginners ourselves, there might be mistakes".
So, today I had a look in there again, and all my comments are gone. Oh good, I thought, so they have corrected their mistakes, and deleted the comments so as not to confuse readers. But - the mistakes are still there :lol:
Please don't use that site for practicing! I am not quite sure if it is linked somewhere in here, I think I found it through a link here, but can't find the link at the moment... anyway, it is strongly not recommended.
Writing poetry in: Scottish Gaelic, German, English.
Reading poetry in: Latin, Old Irish, French, Ancient Greek, Old Norse.
Talking to people in the shop in: Lithuanian, Norwegian, Irish Gaelic, Saami.
Listening to people talking in the shop in: Icelandic, Greenlandic, Finnish.

Steisi

Postby Steisi » 2007-11-26, 12:59

Thank you for the info!

Evil evil evil!! Don't do what you can't! :spank: :dimwit:
Native: English
Fluent: Finnish
Want to resuscitate: German
Actively learning: Hebrew
Wishes she had time for: Northern Sámi
En usko humalaan.

Return to “Uralic Languages”