Long quotes and quoting pictures and videos [split]

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator
Long quotes and quoting pictures and videos [split]

Postby Johanna » 2015-12-20, 19:10

--------------------

OldBoring wrote:

Menino, you'd better change the [ img ] tag to [ url ], when quoting.

admin

There's no such rule apart from in one or two threads, and there it's stated in the OP.

The worst you'll be subjected to otherwise is an unexplained edit of your post, but it won't be held against you, and it will only be done if the actual picture is already on the same page.
Last edited by Johanna on 2015-12-21, 9:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title to match the topic and added a note about where it was split from.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

dEhiN

Re: Random happiness thread 3

Postby dEhiN » 2015-12-20, 21:14

Johanna wrote:
OldBoring wrote:

Menino, you'd better change the [ img ] tag to [ url ], when quoting.

Begin Admin PostThere's no such rule apart from in one or two threads, and there it's stated in the OP.

The worst you'll be subjected to otherwise is an unexplained edit of your post, but it won't be held against you, and it will only be done if the actual picture is already on the same page.End Admin Post

For me, I got used to doing that from the pic of yourself thread (whatever it's called) and found it to be cleaner and easier to read replies. So I adopted that practice in all my replies. But I think I also started to mix it up and believe it was a forum rule.

Edit: I guess I can't use forum admin BBCodes.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-12-20, 21:16

Oh, that's true. I can't use them in quotes, either. :shock:

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2015-12-20, 22:51

dEhiN wrote:For me, I got used to doing that from the pic of yourself thread (whatever it's called) and found it to be cleaner and easier to read replies. So I adopted that practice in all my replies.

I agree. I find it very annoying when people quote a big image and then add one little sentence. If it's an image that was used in a post three pages ago, I can understand it, but usually it's just one or two posts back! Same with long quotes, really. The [spoil] tag is perfect for that, allowing people to ignore the quote(s) if they remember them well enough, or re-read them if they're not sure, without leaving a huge wall of quotes that you need to scroll past to get to the new content.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2015-12-21, 9:20

dEhiN wrote:
Johanna wrote:There's no such rule apart from in one or two threads, and there it's stated in the OP.

The worst you'll be subjected to otherwise is an unexplained edit of your post, but it won't be held against you, and it will only be done if the actual picture is already on the same page.

For me, I got used to doing that from the pic of yourself thread (whatever it's called) and found it to be cleaner and easier to read replies. So I adopted that practice in all my replies. But I think I also started to mix it up and believe it was a forum rule.

Maybe we should make it a rule, like you said, it makes replies a lot easier to read :) That and what Aurinĭa wrote, that you use the spoil tag if you're quoting something long, and you can't edit out enough to make it shorter and more readable.

Edit: Another thing is people simply quoting the post before and leaving all nested quotes in, regardless of whether they're still relevant to the discussion or not. I mean, usually you only need the one, two or maybe three latest, or can skip a few inbetween.

Edit 2: Videos should of course be subject to the same rules as pictures, they're usually even heavier on the resources.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Long quotes and quoting pictures and videos [split]

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-12-21, 9:32

Johanna wrote:Another thing is people simply quoting the post before and leaving all nested quotes in, regardless of whether they're still relevant to the discussion or not. I mean, usually you only need the one, two or maybe three latest, or can skip a few inbetween.

Don't people here do this often enough that making a rule regarding that would be a pretty major change?

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2015-12-21, 9:36

vijayjohn wrote:
Johanna wrote:Another thing is people simply quoting the post before and leaving all nested quotes in, regardless of whether they're still relevant to the discussion or not. I mean, usually you only need the one, two or maybe three latest, or can skip a few inbetween.

Don't people here do this often enough that making a rule regarding that would be a pretty major change?

Maybe, and I don't think that a hard rule would be appropriate either, rather adding something about thinking about readability and how not nesting five quotes unless absolutely necessary definitely makes things easier to read.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-12-22, 5:35

Johanna wrote:Maybe, and I don't think that a hard rule would be appropriate either, rather adding something about thinking about readability and how not nesting five quotes unless absolutely necessary definitely makes things easier to read.

I think the limit is only 4 nested quotes, isn't it? I remember getting an error message once when I tried to nest too many; so either 4 or 5 is the limit.

There are some, like Vijay and I've tried this a few times, who break up a long post when you're quoting it to respond to each point - if that's what you want to do. I guess when people quote a whole post in one quote, they usually intend to respond to the whole thing - so all the points. As for me, whenever I've left nested quotes in, it's because I wanted others reading who maybe didn't follow the particular conversation thread from the beginning, to be able to understand the initial point and all the subsequent responses that led up to mine.

As for making it a rule with pictures (to use the url tag whenever quoting anywhere on the forum), I was actually thinking about that on the bus today! But I think if you made it a rule, then what about if someone doesn't do that? You could give them a warning, or like 3 warnings and then a ban. But even so, that's more modding. Unless do the forum policy and rules have a section for suggestions? Like maybe have it as a conduct suggestion?
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-12-22, 5:39

dEhiN wrote:
Johanna wrote:Maybe, and I don't think that a hard rule would be appropriate either, rather adding something about thinking about readability and how not nesting five quotes unless absolutely necessary definitely makes things easier to read.

I think the limit is only 4 nested quotes, isn't it?

I assumed she was exaggerating. :lol:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-12-22, 6:21

No there's a limit.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-12-22, 6:23

dEhiN wrote:No there's a limit.

I know there's a limit. I'm just saying I think when she said "five quotes," she didn't literally mean five quotes, she really just meant "a large number of quotes," even though you can't do more than four quotes if I remember the limit correctly.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2015-12-30, 12:58

Limit is 5.
quote 5 wrote:
quote 4 wrote:
quote 3 wrote:
quote 2 wrote:
quote 1 wrote:

At 6 quotes I get the message:
Vous ne pouvez insérer que 5 citations imbriquées.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2016-01-03, 15:32

So is it possible to write somewhere something to encourage / advise people to turn img and video tags to links? (I would turn them when the image or video is in another page too). And to quote only the necessary part. And to remove the nested quotes when necessary. And then encourage people to report posts like this.
But still no penalties for who breaks this recommendation.

I know a forum where these rules are explicitly written, and moderators often edit posts like this. But on UniLang it's harder because of all the random threads and general discussion threads.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-01-03, 17:28

OldBoring wrote:So is it possible to write somewhere something to encourage / advise people to turn img and video tags to links?

I would think this was something for the admins and global mods to decide on and perhaps even add as an addendum to the forum rules or something.
(I would turn change them when the image or video is in another page too).

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2016-03-04, 21:53

Sometimes, when replying from a mobile device, the task of removing nested quotes but still quoting the latest one can appear absolutely nightmarish (depending on the length of the text and the formatting style of the previous quoters) and you just don't want to even try to do it. (On the ipad selecting text beyond the portion that's visible in the editing window is nigh impossible, and back-spacing is tediously slow and often leads to mistakes like deleting the opening quote tag and then having to retype it.)

I don't know what I'm trying to say with this, except maybe that please don't make it a punishable offence to not always clean up the quote trail. :lol: I dislike the clutter too, but... tablets, man...

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2016-03-05, 4:03

When I'm on the iPhone, I always wonder why they didn't invent the equivalent of the arrow keys on the computer. It's fucking hard to put the cursor somewhere and to selected portions of texts.
On the phone... I mostly read without replying, or reply only with simple posts. :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2016-03-05, 15:10

OldBoring wrote:When I'm on the iPhone, I always wonder why they didn't invent the equivalent of the arrow keys on the computer. It's fucking hard to put the cursor somewhere and to selected portions of texts.
On the phone... I mostly read without replying, or reply only with simple posts. :P

On Android you can use the volume buttons to act as arrow keys. Can you do the same on iPhone?

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2016-03-05, 17:06

No, but OldBoring, if I go into landscape mode I get left and right arrow buttons. They don't let me control how much of a text I've selected, but they move the cursor.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2016-03-05, 18:09

Dormouse559 wrote:No, but OldBoring, if I go into landscape mode I get left and right arrow buttons. They don't let me control how much of a text I've selected, but they move the cursor.

Sank you

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-03-05, 18:17

dEhiN wrote:On Android you can use the volume buttons to act as arrow keys.

Not on mine. :hmm:

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”