Is it possible not to be notified when someone in the foe list makes a new post?

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

IpseDixit
Is it possible not to be notified when someone in the foe list makes a new post?

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-10-05, 13:26

I find it a bit weird that we are notified of new posts made by our foes, because it's obvious that we don't want to read them (otherwise they wouldn't be in that list).

So, is there an option somewhere to select in order not to be notified of their posts anymore? And if there isn't, would it be possible to do something about that?

---

Also, on a similar note: is it really necessary that moderators can't be added to the foe list? Wouldn't it be sufficent that the stuff written with the mod tags (the one written in purple/green/blue) remains visible to everyone whereas the things written without the tags can be ignored like they were of any normal user?

Thanks in advance.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Is it possible not to be notified when someone in the foe list makes a new post?

Postby Johanna » 2015-10-05, 17:24

We're still new to how the forum works since the upgrade, so this is actual news.

About notifications, I only get them when someone quotes me or there is a report, but I don't subscribe to any threads either so I'm not sure how things work there. I would think however that it would be useful to know when someone quotes you, no matter if they're on your foe list or not, since then you can decide to ignore if it's not that bad, or if it is you can hit them with everything you've got.

----------

I will look into it, but I can't promise anything. Also, I think that the most I can do is making you able to ignore purple people in the General Forums section, light blue and green however...
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

IpseDixit

Re: Is it possible not to be notified when someone in the foe list makes a new post?

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-10-05, 17:45

Johanna wrote:About notifications, I only get them when someone quotes me or there is a report, but I don't subscribe to any threads either so I'm not sure how things work there. I would think however that it would be useful to know when someone quotes you, no matter if they're on your foe list or not, since then you can decide to ignore if it's not that bad, or if it is you can hit them with everything you've got.

Oh, for me it's different, I haven't subscribed to any threads either but I get notifications everytime someone writes in a thread where I, too, have written at least once, even though I'm not actually quoted by that person. So for example I still get notifications when someone writes in the Catalan "the person after me" game even though the last time I wrote something there was months and months ago (I think almost a year actually).

I will look into it, but I can't promise anything. Also, I think that the most I can do is making you able to ignore purple people in the General Forums section, light blue and green however...

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2015-10-05, 18:12

IpseDixit wrote:Oh, for me it's different, I haven't subscribed to any threads either but I get notifications everytime someone writes in a thread where I, too, have written at least once, even though I'm not actually quoted by that person. So for example I still get notifications when someone writes in the Catalan "the person after me" game even though the last time I wrote something there was months and months ago (I think almost a year actually).

User Control Panel -> Board preferences -> Edit posting defaults -> Notify me upon replies by default
If that's set to Yes, set it to No, and check if the problem is solved. If not, tell us in this thread and we'll continue to look for a solution.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-10-05, 18:15

Aurinĭa wrote:
IpseDixit wrote:Oh, for me it's different, I haven't subscribed to any threads either but I get notifications everytime someone writes in a thread where I, too, have written at least once, even though I'm not actually quoted by that person. So for example I still get notifications when someone writes in the Catalan "the person after me" game even though the last time I wrote something there was months and months ago (I think almost a year actually).

User Control Panel -> Board preferences -> Edit posting defaults -> Notify me upon replies by default
If that's set to Yes, set it to No, and check if the problem is solved. If not, tell us in this thread and we'll continue looking for a solution.

But I just don't want to be notified when a foe makes a post. With other people it's ok.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-10-05, 18:20

Just as a side note, your automatically subscribed to a thread when you reply or start one.

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2015-10-06, 15:23

Not necessarily. A lot of the bookmarks, subscriptions, notifications settings can be changed by the user themself in the User Control Panel.

IpseDixit, you want to get a notification every time someone posts in a thread you've posted in, no matter how long ago, except if the post was made by someone on your foe list? Do I understand that correctly?
Have you checked what your settings are for the "Notify me upon replies by default" I mentioned in my previous post?

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-10-06, 15:37

Aurinĭa wrote:IpseDixit, you want to get a notification every time someone posts in a thread you've posted in, no matter how long ago, except if the post was made by someone on your foe list? Do I understand that correctly?

Yes, you do.

Aurinĭa wrote:Have you checked what your settings are for the "Notify me upon replies by default" I mentioned in my previous post?

It's set to yes.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-10-06, 15:55

Aurinĭa wrote:Not necessarily. A lot of the bookmarks, subscriptions, notifications settings can be changed by the user themself in the User Control Panel.

Right, I forgot about that. But by default, unless you do mess with the settings, my point stands. :P

Osias

Postby Osias » 2015-10-06, 16:26

I wish to ignore posts from subforums for languages I don't speak. Or alternatively only from the forums I choose.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-10-06, 16:29

Osias wrote:I wish to ignore posts from subforums for languages I don't speak. Or alternatively only from the forums I choose.

I agree, that would be a really useful feature if available. I never even bothered to think about whether that was a possibility, but maybe it is.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-10-12, 21:18

Another thing:

Why was I notified of this thread? :hmm: It's the first time I've gotten notified of a newly created thread... :?

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2015-10-13, 0:39

IpseDixit wrote:Another thing:

Why was I notified of this thread? :hmm: It's the first time I've gotten notified of a newly created thread... :?

Have you subscribed to the Celtic forum? Or maybe the Please post your message bilingually! thread?

I split it from the latter and moved it to the former.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-10-13, 8:12

Johanna wrote:Or maybe the Please post your message bilingually! thread?

I split it from the latter and moved it to the former.

Oh, ok, that explains everything. :)

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2015-10-13, 12:03

I want a way to filter out posts that contain pictures of pugs...

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-10-13, 13:51

Varislintu wrote:I want a way to filter out posts that contain pictures of pugs...

I can understand why, but that sounds hard. :shock:

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2015-10-13, 14:40

vijayjohn wrote:
Varislintu wrote:I want a way to filter out posts that contain pictures of pugs...

Hard as in technically hard? I know... :(

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-10-13, 14:46

Varislintu wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:

Hard as in technically hard?

Yeah.

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”