Remove Andika of the ipa-text class in the CSS

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Bubulus
Remove Andika of the ipa-text class in the CSS

Postby Bubulus » 2015-07-27, 16:10

As per viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44150&p=1010248#p1010248 , I'd like to request that somebody remove Andika off the code of the [ ipa] tag. This font displays the letter "a" without the terminal above, i.e. it makes it look like ɑ. I would do this myself but I have no idea how...

md0

Re: Remove Andika of the ipa-text class in the CSS

Postby md0 » 2015-07-27, 18:21

It requires someone with access to the .css files. AFAIK, it was in the file custom.css.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-07-27, 18:24

Really? You can't just change it in the github repository that you find if you click on "Development" on the menu at the top of each page?

md0

Postby md0 » 2015-07-27, 18:26

I had no idea UL's code is in a public repository :shock:

Edit: Ok, if I did this right, now someone with write access can merge my commit and sync.
Edit 2: I will actually change a couple of things now that I know where the code is :lol:
Last edited by md0 on 2015-07-27, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-07-27, 18:34

meidei wrote:I had no idea UL's code is in a public repository :shock:

Well, now it is. See here:
proycon wrote:To facilitate development by others, as I still don't have much time with work and all, all code will be published publicly on github (https://github.com/proycon/unilangforum), there is an initial version there already, in case we want to add custom mods of our own again. It would be great to have some developers who would want to contribute then, otherwise things may quickly return to be as stagnant as they are now.

meidei wrote:Edit: Ok, if I did this right, now someone with write access can merge my commit and sync.

Am I totally forgetting how github works, or can't you just push your changes to the repository? :hmm:

md0

Postby md0 » 2015-07-27, 18:46

I think that there are two steps between making a commit, and it going live.

First, someone with administrative access to the repo should merge my commit to master (is that a pull? I'm not sure about the term). Right now I just have a fork under meidei:unilang.

And then, someone with access to the server will have to git checkout, so that the modified files from github are synced to the server files.

But yeah, I'm not that familiar with version control systems in practice so maybe I'm missing something.

Патрислав Андреевич

Postby Патрислав Андреевич » 2015-07-27, 19:22

meidei wrote:I think that there are two steps between making a commit, and it going live.

First, someone with administrative access to the repo should merge my commit to master (is that a pull? I'm not sure about the term). Right now I just have a fork under meidei:unilang.

And then, someone with access to the server will have to git checkout, so that the modified files from github are synced to the server files.

But yeah, I'm not that familiar with version control systems in practice so maybe I'm missing something.

You did it right, there's a pull request that needs to be accepted by someone with access to that. ;)

Wanted to do it, because I was the one who put Andika there (why? :shock: ), but you were faster, thanks.

md0

Postby md0 » 2015-07-27, 19:46

Ok cool. I also patched region_data.php to add districts for Cyprus. If you are one of the admins, you could pull that as well.

As for Andika, from what I could find out, it is a SIL font alright, but it's designed to teach writing to children (so script-a makes sense, but also indeed not suitable for IPA).

proycon
Server Administrator

Postby proycon » 2015-07-27, 21:25

Edit: Ok, if I did this right, now someone with write access can merge my commit and sync.
Edit 2: I will actually change a couple of things now that I know where the code is :lol:

You did it right :) Thanks! Changes are merged and activated here now.
Language is the dress of thought -- Samuel Johnson
my homepage

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2015-07-28, 5:25

Thanks to meidei for getting it done!

md0

Postby md0 » 2015-07-28, 10:16

proycon wrote:

You did it right :) Thanks! Changes are merged and activated here now.

Cool. The only change I don't see working is the districts for Cyprus. I might have made a syntax error there (indentation :whistle: ), let's see if the new patch fixes it :)

Патрислав Андреевич

Postby Патрислав Андреевич » 2015-07-28, 10:39

meidei wrote:Cool. The only change I don't see working is the districts for Cyprus. I might have made a syntax error there (indentation :whistle: ), let's see if the new patch fixes it :)

It won't.

1) In PHP identation doesn't matter at all, it does look better, but doesn't matter . :P

2) See this issue: it's not possible to select a region at all. It requires a front-end javascript to load the regions using AJAX into the select box. I might do it, but my installation of Unilang went nuts... :roll:

3) Which brings me to another point: testing your changes locally. In order to do that, install PHP (you don't need Apache or MySQL - you can run the embedded webserver by `php -S localhost:8000`, and use SQLite as database), then go into phpBB directory and run the server from there. In browser open http://localhost:8000/install.313. It'll check for missing PHP libs that are required so install them, restart webserver, try until you can continue. And then just activate custom unilang extensions in the ACP. Then voilà, you can test your changes without operations on a beating heart.

Well... now when looking at it, it might look like a tedious process... but to me setting up my own Unilang was actually fun. :lol:

md0

Postby md0 » 2015-07-28, 13:35

1) In PHP identation doesn't matter at all, it does look better, but doesn't matter .

My, that's so... lawless :lol:

2) See this issue:

Aha, my bad then. This use to work in the previous version of the site right? Any chance the old script could be ported?
I'm afraid I cannot help with coding from scratch yet.

3) Which brings me to another point: testing your changes locally.

It shouldn't be very tedious to do actually, I suppose I will do it when I start creating new code instead of updating lists (which is what I basically did with languages and regions).

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”