Quebec French - “Québécois”

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Bubulus
Quebec French - “Québécois”

Postby Bubulus » 2014-06-08, 19:32

Why is the native name for Quebec French, in the My Languages section, Québécois? It should be Français du Québec. Québécois, as far I know, only refers to the more informal registers of the language, but Français du Québec refers to the language as a whole. Let's not forget Quebec French is also a standard language on its own, a distinct dialect.

Could one of developers, please, change the native name of Quebec French to Français du Québec?

JackFrost

Re: Quebec French - “Québécois”

Postby JackFrost » 2014-06-09, 0:45

Personally speaking, I don't think it really makes any difference because français du Québec, français québécois, and québécois already refer to all registers used in Quebec.
Neferuj paħujkij!

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2014-06-09, 4:32

But isn't Français du Québec a better umbrella term for all registers?

To be honest, I'm looking at the “[flag=]fr-QC[/flag] Quebec French (Québécois) ImageImageImageImage” in my profile, and I'm like, “hmm... this use of Québécois seems to suggest I don't know Standard French / formal registers of French?” Not trying to be confrontational, it's just my legit reaction.

JackFrost

Postby JackFrost » 2014-06-11, 0:52

Better? Not really since it still refers to all registers anyway. I also use "Canadian French" on my profile to show more clearly that I know the standard language too well just like virtually everyone here. If we're talking about "français de l'Ontario" or "français du Sakatchewan", then it's a different story since there aren't really any standards for those two provinces, unlike Quebec and Acadia.

Besides, the developers/admins don't really have much time to worry about something like this now or soon sadly. :|
Neferuj paħujkij!

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”