Latin's flag

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Itikar
Latin's flag

Postby Itikar » 2013-10-03, 13:42

I've really nothing in particular against the Vatican but I am not very satisfied with Latin having Vatican's flag on the forum. First and foremost because it seems me that most learners here are interested and discuss Classical Latin.
If it were Ecclesiastical Latin, maybe, it could be ok, but for Latin in general I see it as odd.

I think that the Roman Empire's vexilloid would be much better:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... Empire.svg

Another good alternative could be the Capitoline wolf:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:She-w ... _Remus.jpg
(Assimil, for its courses, uses a purple flag with a white Capitoline wolf)

Anyway, I can live also if Latin continues to have the flag of the Vatican. I just wanted to say that I think there could be more appropriate alternatives to it, unless, as stated above, we strictly speak of Ecclesiastical Latin.
Fletto i muscoli e sono nel vuoto!
All corrections are welcome and appreciated.

IpseDixit

Re: Latin's flag

Postby IpseDixit » 2013-10-03, 17:41

Yeah, I agree with you. The Vatican flag isn't the best choice IMO.

If it's feasible, the Vatican flag should be placed side by side with one of the two symbols you have proposed. If it's not feasible, I'd rather use the Eagle and SPQR or the Wolf rather than Saint Peter's keys, and I have nothing against Saint Peter, I kinda like the guy, but I deem it more historically accurate to use something from the Classical period.

Yserenhart

Postby Yserenhart » 2013-10-03, 22:43

I've added the vexilloid alongside the Vatican flag.
Native: Derbyshire English (en-GB)/New Zealand English (en-NZ) Learning: Vlaams (nl-BE)

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2013-10-03, 22:46

Please don't hate me but... why so small?

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2013-10-03, 23:15

Simply because of its height compared to its width. We like to keep our flags proportional, and the main limitation is the height.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2013-10-03, 23:38

Johanna wrote:Simply because of its height compared to its width. We like to keep our flags proportional, and the main limitation is the height.

I apologise beforehand for my fussiness ^^', but if it's so small, maybe the other vexilloid could fit better ^^"

Bijlee

Postby Bijlee » 2013-10-04, 0:08

What a cute little flag. Just out of curiosity, is it going to be available for profiles and the such?

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2013-10-04, 0:32

Bijlee wrote:What a cute little flag.

I read: what a cute little fag xD maybe it's time to go to bed.

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2013-10-04, 0:34

IpseDixit wrote:maybe the other vexilloid could fit better ^^"
What other vexilloid?

Bijlee wrote:What a cute little flag. Just out of curiosity, is it going to be available for profiles and the such?
It will, but not immediately. There's a lot of other stuff that needs to be done first (and real-world work doesn't stop for unilang either ;) ).

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2013-10-04, 0:38

Aurinĭa wrote:
IpseDixit wrote:maybe the other vexilloid could fit better ^^"
What other vexilloid?.

I mean the one with the shewolf but it's not a vexilloid. It's a statue. Mea culpa.

Yserenhart

Postby Yserenhart » 2013-10-04, 4:39

The vexilloid has now been added to the language list for Latin, and can be used in flag codes with "la". As such the dialect of Ecclesiastical Latin has been added for the Vatican flag, and the code for that is now "la-VA".

I'm afraid this means that anyone who wants to keep the Vatican flag in their language list will now have to change it from "Latin" to "Ecclesiastical Latin".
Native: Derbyshire English (en-GB)/New Zealand English (en-NZ) Learning: Vlaams (nl-BE)

Itikar

Postby Itikar » 2013-10-04, 9:42

Great! The vexilloid looks wonderful! [flag]la[/flag][flag]la[/flag][flag]la[/flag][flag]la[/flag]. :D
I am also glad that the Vatican flag has been kept for Ecclesiastical Latin!

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2013-10-04, 10:53

The vexilloid has disappeared from the Latin subforum and has been replaced by a second Vatican flag...

Itikar

Postby Itikar » 2013-10-04, 13:03

It has happened to me too this morning. Then the vexilloid came back after reloading a pair of times.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2013-10-04, 19:17

Maybe it's just me but isn't it small.

Wouldn't it be a good idea keep the flag only
and to cut off the bird and the lower hanging side.

So it would be the same size like the Ancient Greek one, it would be more visible.

Bijlee

Postby Bijlee » 2013-10-05, 3:05

I like it, even if it is small. Though it does kind of get overpowered by other flags (it looks kind of silly in my signature :oops:). I think it would be nice if the two flags were combined together into one flag, since they're both pretty small anyway. They already look like one flag when they're side by side.

Although, it is kind of nice to have a flag for Ecclesiastical Latin only.

Itikar

Postby Itikar » 2013-10-05, 10:33

Bijlee wrote:Although, it is kind of nice to have a flag for Ecclesiastical Latin only.

Basically this, I think it is good to have the two kinds of Latin. In my opinion joining the two flags would make underlining the difference meaningless. It might still be useful for the Latin board, but I think that there would not be a big difference from now then.

A solution could be to enlarge the flag keeping the vexilloid as a symbol inside it, like the Cimbrian one: [flag]cim[/flag]

[flag]la[/flag] [flag]fa_old[/flag][flag]grc[/flag]
Effectively compared to Old Persian and Ancient Greek it is a bit too small.
I think that probably Levente's proposal to remove the eagle and the golden lower part would be right.
I tried to do it and the result is this: Image

Paired with the others: Image[flag]la-VA[/flag][flag]grc[/flag][flag]fa_old[/flag]

Yserenhart

Postby Yserenhart » 2013-10-05, 21:23

Changed the vexilloid, it's now the same size as the Vatican flag.

Bijlee

Postby Bijlee » 2013-10-06, 3:06

Euge! Quam celeres sunt magistratus... gratias vobis ago!
Well done! The admins are so quick... thank you all!

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”