Caucasian Languages Forum

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Massimiliano B
Caucasian Languages Forum

Postby Massimiliano B » 2013-09-25, 21:18

Would anybody else like a specific sub-forum for Caucasian languages, since there are already sub-forums for African indigenous languages, Turkic languages, NAIL and CSAIL?

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Caucasian Languages Forum

Postby Johanna » 2013-09-25, 21:33

Are there enough people interested in learning those languages?

Many of our merged forums were created because many of the individual forums of languages belonging to their group were dead, but some were alive so we deemed it better to merge them all than to boot the majority.

But some of those forums we merged were never really alive, containing maybe ten topics, half of which asked "who is learning [language]?" or stated "time to revive this forum!" And even many of those that seemed active only got music videos posted.

We don't want that again, so please tell us, will this new Caucasian forum be anything more than a place for people to share "exotic language" music videos from YouTube?
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-09-25, 23:58

I've barked up this particular tree before, and there just wasn't enough interest at that time. As much as I love Caucasian languages, and intend (at this point anyway) to eventually learn Chechen and Georgian to some degree, two people don't make a subforum. Anyone else interested?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a Caucasian subforum, but I'd want it to be active.
Sometimes it feels like I'm talking to myself in the NAIL and CSAIL forums, and I don't want to wish that on any other mod.

Just my two cents. Carry on. :P

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2013-09-26, 0:08

I'd like to some learn Georgian and Chechen too one day (especially Georgian), but I can guarantee I wouldn't be active on the forum anytime soon, and I doubt anyone else would either. :P There's maybe 3 or 4 learners of Georgian, and one or two speakers, but none of them are particularly active, so I say nay to a Caucasian forum.

As I learn more Yucatec Mayan I'll be sure to write in it on the CSAIL forum though!
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-09-26, 0:19

Lowena wrote:As I learn more Yucatec Mayan I'll be sure to write in it on the CSAIL forum though!

Not to hijack the thread, but that would be most appreciated.

Not that I wrote that to get more activity.

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2013-09-26, 1:27

The new Caucasian forum could contain also the Georgian language forum, so that the "Caucasian" threads that are now in the "Other languages" section would be more visible.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-12-05, 20:05

Oh, what the hell, I'll bark up this tree again. I notice the Georgian forum is still around, but practically dead. (Yes, Trapy's TAC about learning Georgian got my on this again :P ).

What say the forum/admins? Any want of a Caucasian subforum?

If this where to happen (and I give it a 1% chance as it is), I'd propose having all languages of the Caucasus included (aside from obviously Turkic languages). So Kartvelian, North Caucasian, and Armenian.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-12-05, 20:57

I definitely would love this! :mrgreen: Then there'd be a more central place for Armenian!

Trapy

Postby Trapy » 2015-12-08, 5:03

Große Gotte! Einmal würde ich Karbardian lernen, aber es gibt keine Haus für das Sprachen. Warum nicht? Ich will Georgian lernen, und mehr Männer sind immer besser sein.

Why not? I was going to learn Karbardian but there was no repository of it anywhere. I am not a fan of mergers in general, but if it keeps the discussion alive, why not?

.... ...... .....

And here's where I would type in Georgian... If I had learned any.
"and now every toilet will burn to ashes!""

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-12-08, 5:32

Have you seen this thread yet?

Trapy

Postby Trapy » 2015-12-08, 14:52

vijayjohn wrote:Have you seen this thread yet?

Bloody Nora!!! That's awesome!!
"and now every toilet will burn to ashes!""

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2016-04-07, 22:03

So, where's the Caucasian language forum? I still don't see it!!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-04-07, 22:38

There is none. AFAIK, not all that many people here are interested in learning languages of the Caucasus, so it seems safe to say the admins will not create a new forum for it.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-04-08, 13:48

Yeah, I've said it before, I highly doubt we'll get one.

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”