Who owns unilang?

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

acryllic
Who owns unilang?

Postby acryllic » 2013-07-24, 15:41

I'm just wondering.

All websites must be owned by someone or at least by a group of people. Who founded unilang?
"I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile." - Romans 1:16 (NIV)

miae

Re: Who owns unilang?

Postby miae » 2013-07-24, 20:13

Abavagada

Postby Abavagada » 2013-07-26, 15:08

UniLang was founded in 2000 by Proycon, Silvah, and me, Abavagada. Silvah left the administration and site stuff to Proycon and I, and I resigned from the UniLang administration in 2008, so now essentially it belongs to Proyocn.
"Internet killed the video star. Telepathy killed the internet star." - Men Without Hats
Parleremo - Where Languages Live! http://www.parleremo.org

acryllic

Postby acryllic » 2013-08-01, 17:01

Oh!! Wow.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you resign?
"I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile." - Romans 1:16 (NIV)

Abavagada

Postby Abavagada » 2013-08-01, 17:20

acryllic wrote:Oh!! Wow.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you resign?

Let's just call it "creative differences".
"Internet killed the video star. Telepathy killed the internet star." - Men Without Hats

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-08-03, 4:24

Whatever happened to Silvah? I did a bit of snooping and he hasn't even visited since 2011, with only scattered posts until a final petering-out in 2006. This must've been a conflict that went on for a while.

Abavagada

Postby Abavagada » 2013-08-03, 11:00

johnklepac wrote:Whatever happened to Silvah? I did a bit of snooping and he hasn't even visited since 2011, with only scattered posts until a final petering-out in 2006. This must've been a conflict that went on for a while.

Silvah was the major pusher behind Proycon and I joining our sites to create a single project. He was also a major promoter, telling others about UniLang in sites and forums all over the Internet. He left the technical aspect of the site (building and running it) largely to us. So he is a founder, but was never really involved in the administrative work, at least to my memory. He left UniLang for a while after a heated argument with another member, but eventually came back.

The site really peaked, at least in my view, around 2005, when we has many members creating their own lessons for various languages in the forums. In 2007-2008, I made a major effort to work with those members to expand and format them into the courses available now in the resources section.

I'm not the only one that left in 2008. Another admin, wsz, resigned, while other admins such as bab and geoff greatly reduced their presence here. UniLang needs fresh faces to join the administration and help maintain and develop the site.

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”