New "catch all" language subforums?

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

księżycowy
Re: New "catch all" language subforums?

Postby księżycowy » 2012-10-14, 19:11

Yasna wrote:How about a Niger-Congo Languages subforum? North African Semitic languages are so different from the Niger-Congo languages that I don't think it would be very tidy to have them all together.

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. :wink: A forum for languages like Wolof, Yoruba, Shona, Zulu, etc.

Lur

Postby Lur » 2012-10-15, 17:18

I like that idea for a Niger-Congo forum.

I have a question regarding the NAIL and CSAILC fora. Why is Nahuatl supposed to go on the latter instead of the former?
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2012-10-15, 17:35

Yasna wrote:I propose this:

:arrow: Dravidian Languages subforum with Tamil merged into it
:arrow: Turkic Languages subforum with Kazakh, Turkish and Azerbaijani merged into it
:arrow: Iranian Languages subforum with Persian, Kurdish and Pashto merged into it
:arrow: Indo-Aryan Languages subforum with Hindi/Urdu merged into it
:arrow: Baltic Languages subforum with Latvian and Lithuanian merged into it
:arrow: Slavic Languages subforum with Russian, Serbo-Croatian, Slovenian, Polish, Czech, Slovak and Bulgarian merged into it

That would go a longggg way to tidying things up and bringing some vitality back into the language subforums.

I agree maybe witha Turkic and Dravidain one. But the others would be way to confusing and disorganized. It would be a mess, look at all the indivual questions posted in the Hindi/Urdu and seven pages of topics, could you imagine that on top of Nepali, bnegali, Punjabi, Marathi and Gujurati? and the Slavic languages too, theres too many, it would be so confusing.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-10-15, 19:12

Luke wrote:I have a question regarding the NAIL and CSAILC fora. Why is Nahuatl supposed to go on the latter instead of the former?

I suppose it depends on where you geographically place Mexico.
Traditionally speaking however, Native American tribes that are designated as North American have been just from the US and Canada. Mexico has traditional been considered Central American, as part of the Meso-American cultural area.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2012-10-15, 20:31

księżycowy wrote:
Luke wrote:I have a question regarding the NAIL and CSAILC fora. Why is Nahuatl supposed to go on the latter instead of the former?

I suppose it depends on where you geographically place Mexico.
Traditionally speaking however, Native American tribes that are designated as North American have been just from the US and Canada. Mexico has traditional been considered Central American, as part of the Meso-American cultural area.

Geographically it's a pretty clear cut. Everything above the Isthmus of Panama is North America. Everything below is South America.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”