Photo posting issues

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

JackFrost
Photo posting issues

Postby JackFrost » 2009-06-24, 18:39

Ok, am I alone to find this size restriction really annoying? Just recently I spent ten minutes setting up links from my Facebook albums to post in "Photo from around the world" thread set up by Johan and all I get "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image". I perfectly know the photos are perfectly under the 700 px requirement (the photos only take up 1/3 of the screen). This is happening to me often enough beyond the Facebook photos and it's really getting on my nerves. I shouldn't have to spend five-ten minutes or more figuring out how to post the images, including the time spent to upload them somewhere else. Even just for one photo. When I found out that the size is too big, another minute or two to resize it from Photobucket for each photo. That brings up another issue.

When I resize the photo to 700 px, the forum layout cut off a piece to the right. Ok, another one or two minutes to make it smaller. No, the forum still cuts off a piece after setting the photo at 650 px. At 600 px, same thing. Oftentimes I just end up giving up and screaming "fuck it!".

I do not get it. We never had those restrictions before and now we're having it? It wasn't even an issue in the past. [rant]Don't try to fix what's not broken.[/rant]
Neferuj paħujkij!

BezierCurve

Re: Photo posting issues

Postby BezierCurve » 2009-06-24, 18:47

Not sure if this is the case, but some servers where you keep the photos might have restrictions - the file with your picture will not be accessible directly (but only when called for from a website located on that server). Also suspicious characters (like ampersand, white space etc.) in the file name might be the problem.
Brejkam wszystkie rule.

"I love tautologies, they're so ... tautological." Hunef

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2009-06-24, 19:56

I know! :evil: I've decided to just give up and post links to photobucket. Ugh.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

JackFrost

Postby JackFrost » 2009-06-24, 20:13

BezierCurve wrote:Not sure if this is the case, but some servers where you keep the photos might have restrictions - the file with your picture will not be accessible directly (but only when called for from a website located on that server). Also suspicious characters (like ampersand, white space etc.) in the file name might be the problem.

Facebook freely allows hotlinking to any forums... except this one. Before, it worked fine until we have this restriction.
Neferuj paħujkij!

kibo

Postby kibo » 2009-06-24, 22:10

JackFrost wrote:"It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image".

This should only happen if you try to put a non-direct link between the img tags. I just tried it with a Facebook pic and it works perfectly. The link should begin with "photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net" and end with the image extension.

JackFrost wrote:When I resize the photo to 700 px, the forum layout cut off a piece to the right. Ok, another one or two minutes to make it smaller. No, the forum still cuts off a piece after setting the photo at 650 px. At 600 px, same thing. Oftentimes I just end up giving up and screaming "fuck it!".

Yes, images get cut off at 600 px width, it's not a restriction it's a... bug? Well, the problem appeared when we switched to phpbb3. I guess it has to do with the forum style, which has a fixed width. In order to avoid this problem, we introduced a width limit of 600 px in order to signal the posters to resize their images. But later it was changed to 700 px, I'm not sure why since it's pointless.

Bottom line, pics wider than 600 px can't get displayed properly under the current layout.
Goals:
[flag=]es[/flag] ➜ C1 (DELE)
[flag=]de[/flag] ➜ B2 (Goethe-Zertifikat) / C1
[flag=]sv[/flag] ➜ B1/B2

Abavagada

Postby Abavagada » 2009-06-24, 23:38

I have two suggestions:

1) Get an account on the UniLang Gallery, upload them there, then link to them. At least you don't have to mess with photobucket.

2) Install a mod to the forum that allows members to upload "attachments" to their posts. I've seen this in other phpbb forums.

Erik / Aba
"Internet killed the video star. Telepathy killed the internet star." - Men Without Hats
Parleremo - Where Languages Live! http://www.parleremo.org

kibo

Postby kibo » 2009-06-25, 7:08

Abavagada wrote:2) Install a mod to the forum that allows members to upload "attachments" to their posts. I've seen this in other phpbb forums.

This option already exists. ;)
Goals:
[flag=]es[/flag] ➜ C1 (DELE)
[flag=]de[/flag] ➜ B2 (Goethe-Zertifikat) / C1
[flag=]sv[/flag] ➜ B1/B2

Abavagada

Postby Abavagada » 2009-06-27, 17:46

kibo wrote:
Abavagada wrote:2) Install a mod to the forum that allows members to upload "attachments" to their posts. I've seen this in other phpbb forums.

This option already exists. ;)

Very true.. I should have checked before I spoke.

Jack.. look under the posting box for "Upload attachment"

Erik / Aba
"Internet killed the video star. Telepathy killed the internet star." - Men Without Hats
Parleremo - Where Languages Live! http://www.parleremo.org

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2009-07-05, 15:01

JackFrost wrote:It wasn't even an issue in the past.

It wasn't :P? I remember being quite exasperated several times when people posted crazy sized images that screwed up the whole page of a thread. In picture oriented threads it was a nightmare.

Well, as for the issue, it's not intentional that the forum just cuts the images. Thanks for reporting it, I hadn't actually noticed it before myself. I've also never had problems linking to a correctly sized picture directly :?. Unfortunately the forum cutting the pictures means that it won't help if we make the size restriction more lax.

An auto-resizing modd would be an ideal solution here, if it works properly.

JackFrost

Postby JackFrost » 2009-07-06, 1:42

Attaching an attachment here would take forever because you can't do it in bulk.

An auto-resizing mod would be so wonderful and save a lot of nerves. Many forums already have this. If the photo is too big, the forum shrinks it to fit in the forum format with a small line saying the size of the photo.

I pretty much gave up linking photos. :|

I remember being quite exasperated several times when people posted crazy sized images that screwed up the whole page of a thread.

Well, all of the sudden, it works. I know I did that before and it didn't work then. :?
Neferuj paħujkij!

proycon
Server Administrator

Postby proycon » 2009-07-10, 20:16

auto-resizing has been implemented now, you can post larger pictures.
Language is the dress of thought -- Samuel Johnson
my homepage

JackFrost

Postby JackFrost » 2009-07-10, 23:07

I love you, Proy. <3
Neferuj paħujkij!

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2009-07-11, 3:24

Thanks Proy!
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-02-13, 1:04

[flag]en-us[/flag] Ah. Um, I can't post an image because it's too small. Anyone know how to fix this?
[flag]cs[/flag] Jo. Fuj, nesmím přidat obrázek, protože on je příliš malý. Ví někdo to opravit?

JackFrost

Postby JackFrost » 2013-02-13, 2:50

wat

How small?
Neferuj paħujkij!

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-02-13, 3:34

JackFrost wrote:wat

How small?

Uh... however small those stars are that indicate language proficiency on our profiles. They're- y'know what, screw it. I want to see how my signature would look with those stars that Sophie has in hers, but she won't tell me how to do it.

zeme

Postby zeme » 2013-02-13, 17:54

This is how you do it:

Image [flag]to[/flag]
Image [flag]niu[/flag]
Image [flag]eo[/flag]

Code: Select all

[img]http://ompldr.org/vaGdrbA[/img] [flag]to[/flag]
[img]http://ompldr.org/vaGdrbg[/img] [flag]niu[/flag]
[img]http://ompldr.org/vaGdrbw[/img] [flag]eo[/flag]

Oddly enough, linking to UniLang's images directly always complains about dimensions.
Last edited by zeme on 2013-02-14, 13:24, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: It seems to work only with external images.
The fellow who thinks he knows it all is especially annoying to those of us who do.

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-02-13, 22:39

That's what I tried before, but Unilang's still telling me it's not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. I've even tried copying and pasting your code directly.

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-02-14, 15:45

It works! Thanks!

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”