Language List

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

kubik
Re: "My languages" options

Postby kubik » 2017-06-20, 11:30

Right now the Eatern Armenian language endonym is written with a lower case letter at the beginning of the word for some reason (արևելահայերեն instead of Արևելահայերեն) unlike other languages. Could that be changed?

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-07-31, 19:11

admin

I'm going to start updating the list starting from page 50 of this thread :)

When suggesting new languages please try to provide the following information:

- Name of the language (in English)
- Name of the language (in the language itself)
- ISO 639-1 (or ISO-639-3) language code
- Name of the script (if different from the Latin alphabet)
- A flag to be used (preferred format: 25 x 15)

I'll just ignore requests that aren't specific (e.g. "you should add more Catalan varieties"). Also, no personal conlangs.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-07-31, 21:33

DissidentRage wrote:More of a technical issue than anything else, but there's an issue with duplicate records if attempting to modify an existing language in the user profile. I'm guessing there's a user:language table and instead of updating the row to show the level of knowledge it tries to insert it and fails. What you could do is select first to see if it exists and insert/update accordingly, or just try/catch it and use update if insert fails (which would at least mean less transactions being registered to the database).

mySQL actually has an INSERT... ON DUPLICATE KEY instruction which makes it even simpler to fix.

I have just corrected the issue. Please let me know if there are still any problems.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-08-01, 19:21

IpseDixit wrote:Can someone add South African English?

Added

pumpkinskull wrote:Would it be possible to get Ripuarian its parent Central Franconian added?

Central Franconian seems to be a group of dialects, so I'm not sure how this would work

Irusia wrote:I would like:
Old Ruthenian
Ukrainian sigh language
Rendille (Africa)

Added

Irusia wrote:[flag=]tl[/flag] Ilocano (ilo)

Added

Elaine wrote:
Native name: Ganda
Language: Luganda
Flag: [flag=]lg-UG[/flag]
ISO: lg

Native name: Kikongo
Language: Kongo
Flag: [flag=]kg-CG[/flag]
ISO: kg

Native name: Kikongo ya leta
Language: DR Congo Kituba
Flag: [flag=]ktu-CD[/flag]
ISO: ktu

Added

kubik wrote:Right now the Eatern Armenian language endonym is written with a lower case letter at the beginning of the word for some reason (արևելահայերեն instead of Արևելահայերեն) unlike other languages. Could that be changed?

Fixed

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2017-08-01, 19:29

Thank you very much!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-08-01, 21:57

I should have mentioned this years ago (literally), but the spelling for the native name of Cayuga is just a tiny bit wrong. It should be Gayogo̱hó:nǫ', with the line under the second <o>.

Also, since the use of the apostrophe in the native names of the Yupik language distinguishes the Central Alaskan dialect (i.e. Yup'ik) from the Siberian dialect (i.e. Yupik in Latin transcription), I would offer that we split the information thusly:
If the second, here is the full information for both:
- Name of the language (in English): Central Alaskan Yup'ik
- Name of the language (in the language itself) : Yup'ik
- ISO-639-3: esu
- Flag: use the current Alaskan flag

- Name of the language (in English): Central Siberian Yupik
- Name of the language (in the language itself) : Юпик
- ISO-639-3: ess
- Flag: none known

I also, since we're starting this back up again, humbly ask the following addition:
- Name of the language (in English): Seneca
- Name of the language (in the language itself) : Onödowá’ga:’ gawë:nö’
- ISO-639-3: see
- Flag:
xa-seneca.gif

Sorry, I don't have the time to resize it at the moment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-08-02, 20:14

Elaine wrote:Native name: Monokutuba
Language: Congolese Kituba
Flag: [flag=]ktu-CG[/flag]
ISO: mkw

Native name: Kanuri
Language: Kanuri
Flag: [flag=]kr-NG[/flag]
ISO: kr

Native name: Fon gbè
Language: Fon
Flag: [flag=]fon-BJ[/flag]
ISO: fon

Native name: Grebo
Language: Grebo
Flag: [flag=]grb-LR[/flag]
ISO: grb

Native name: Fulfulde
Language: Fula
Flag: [flag=]ff-GN[/flag]
ISO: ff

Native name: Pulaar
Language: Pulaar
Flag: [flag=]fuc-SN[/flag]
ISO: fuc

Native name: Mɛnde yia
Language: Mende
Flag: [flag=]men-SL[/flag]
ISO: men

Native name: Baoulé
Language: Baoulé
Flag: [flag=]bci-CI[/flag]
ISO: bci

Native name: Mõõré
Language: Mossi
Flag: [flag=]mos-BF[/flag]
ISO: mos

Native name: Kikamba
Language: Kamba
Flag: [flag=]kam-KE[/flag]
ISO: kam

Native name: Urhobo
Language: Urhobo
Flag: [flag=]urh-NG[/flag]
ISO: urh

Native name: Ẹ̀dó
Language: Edo
Flag: [flag=]bin-NG[/flag]
ISO: bin

Native name: Gĩkũyũ
Language: Kikuyu
Flag: [flag=]ki-KE[/flag]
ISO: ki

Added

PfifltriggPi wrote:different national standards of Romanian? (Preferably including Transnistrian Romanian in all its Cyrillic glory.)

Added (Moldovan and Transnistrian Romanian)

Irusia wrote:If there is Belarusian taraškievica, there should be Ukrainian skrypnykivka too.

By the way, Belarusian should be "беларуская", not "беларускі".

Added and fixed

Irusia wrote:East and North Greenlandic as separate languages.

Added as variants under Greenlandic

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-08-02, 21:06

I just noticed that someone a page back suggested adding Central Siberian Yupik. I guess you can use the information from one (or both) of our posts. I'd still recommend the information for "Yup'ik" be changed as I suggested (i.e. to Central Alaskan Yup'ik).
And where as it is true that the Central Siberian people don't use a flag, I see no objection to using the flag proposed by callum, which I believe is the flag for the Chukotka Autonomous Okrug.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-08-03, 18:59

księżycowy wrote:Has anyone else noticed that a few of the languages on the language list don't show text after you've added them? For example, I notice that neither Old or Middle English show up correctly on anyone's profile page. They appear fine in the UCP, but only show up as a flag with no text on the profile page. :?

PfifltriggPi wrote:
Yes, I have noticed this. Old French and Old Spanish do the same thing for me too.

Fixed

callum wrote:Also, Siberian Tatar - it even has its own flag. :mrgreen:
[ownflag=]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/96/Siberian_Tatar_Flag.svg[/ownflag] Siberian Tatar - Сыбыр тел (STY)

There's currently "Yup'ik", so I reckon Siberian Yupik should be added as well. :) It's spoken both in Chukotka and on St. Lawrence Island, but maybe the Chukotka flag should be used as there are more speakers there than on St. Lawrence, and it would help "distinguish" it from Alaskan Yup'ik.
[ownflag=]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a0/Flag_of_Chukotka.svg/115px-Flag_of_Chukotka.svg.png[/ownflag] Siberian Yupik (ESS)

I'd also like to see Sirenik added - it's extinct, but there's at least one book floating around about it, so it's not 100% unlearnable. (Only about 99%?) :mrgreen: As it was spoken in Chukotka, it could use the same flag as Chukchi.
[ownflag=]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a0/Flag_of_Chukotka.svg/115px-Flag_of_Chukotka.svg.png[/ownflag] Sirenik - Сиӷы́ных (YSR)

Maybe (Kolyma) Yukaghir - again, there aren't many resources available but you can still learn a tiny bit. Most speakers seem to live in the Sakha Republic, so I guess that flag would make the most sense to use.
[ownflag=]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/eb/Flag_of_Sakha.svg/115px-Flag_of_Sakha.svg.png[/ownflag] Yukaghir (YUX)

And, finally, it would be nice to see Xibe. I'd have assumed it would use the Chinese flag, but Manchu (which is very closely related and pretty mutually intelligible with Xibe) uses this flag: [flag=]mnc[/flag]. :? (As text in the Manchu and Mongolian alphabets is displayed horizonally online, it would probably be easier to do the same with Xibe as with Manchu, and write out the native name in Latin.)
[flag=]zh[/flag]/[flag=]mnc[/flag] Xibe - sibe gisun / ᠰᡞᠪᡝ ᡤᡞᠰᡠᠨ (SJO)

Added

germantiger wrote:I was wondering if Alsatian could be added to the list? Someone asked about it in 2013 in this thread but no one responded. As a flag, the regional flag of Alsace could used. Thoughts?

Added

Dr. House wrote:I want Bavarian on the list.

Added under German.

księżycowy wrote:I should have mentioned this years ago (literally), but the spelling for the native name of Cayuga is just a tiny bit wrong. It should be Gayogo̱hó:nǫ', with the line under the second <o>.

Fixed

księżycowy wrote:Also, since the use of the apostrophe in the native names of the Yupik language distinguishes the Central Alaskan dialect (i.e. Yup'ik) from the Siberian dialect (i.e. Yupik in Latin transcription), I would offer that we split the information thusly:
If the second, here is the full information for both:
- Name of the language (in English): Central Alaskan Yup'ik
- Name of the language (in the language itself) : Yup'ik
- ISO-639-3: esu
- Flag: use the current Alaskan flag

- Name of the language (in English): Central Siberian Yupik
- Name of the language (in the language itself) : Юпик
- ISO-639-3: ess
- Flag: none known

Changed

księżycowy wrote:I also, since we're starting this back up again, humbly ask the following addition:
- Name of the language (in English): Seneca
- Name of the language (in the language itself) : Onödowá’ga:’ gawë:nö’
- ISO-639-3: see
- Flag:
xa-seneca.gif

Sorry, I don't have the time to resize it at the moment.

Added

I think that's all :bounce:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-08-03, 19:40

Thanks for all your hard work, Luís!

EDIT: One last fix, Classical Japanese just shows up as a flag on in both the UCP and on the profile list.

I also notice the placement of Siberian Yupik is in a weird place on the drop-down menu in the UPC (in between Ewe and Extremaduran; Sirenki is in a weird place too) . Maybe we should put a catch all listing of "Yupik" there and have both as dialect options? Sirenki should be added to this dialect list, if we went with this idea. The ISO code for Yupik Languages is 'ypk'. Sorry, I should have thought of this before.

Sorry to make more work for you.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-08-03, 21:06

This is the last time I'm going to post in this thread for a while, Luís, I swear! :P
I'm not sure about our other Irish language learners, but I wouldn't mind having dialect options for "Irish Gaelic":

- Name of the language (in English): Munster Irish
- Name of the language (in the language itself) : Gaelainn na Mumhan
- ISO-639-3: ga-M

- Name of the language (in English): Connacht Irish
- Name of the language (in the language itself) : Gaeilge Connacht
- ISO-639-3: ga-C

- Name of the language (in English): Ulster Irish
- Name of the language (in the language itself) : Gaeilg Uladh
- ISO-639-3: ga-U

(Note - Aside from the beginning 'ga' in the codes, these are not official ISO language codes. I was attempting to follow suit from some other dialects that have been added.)

We could also move Old Irish to this list too.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-08-04, 18:07

księżycowy wrote:
EDIT: One last fix, Classical Japanese just shows up as a flag on in both the UCP and on the profile list.

Fixed

księżycowy wrote:I also notice the placement of Siberian Yupik is in a weird place on the drop-down menu in the UPC (in between Ewe and Extremaduran; Sirenki is in a weird place too) .

That's because the language code is ESS...

księżycowy wrote:Maybe we should put a catch all listing of "Yupik" there and have both as dialect options? Sirenki should be added to this dialect list, if we went with this idea. The ISO code for Yupik Languages is 'ypk'.

Done.

księżycowy wrote:
- Name of the language (in English): Munster Irish
- Name of the language (in the language itself) : Gaelainn na Mumhan
- ISO-639-3: ga-M

- Name of the language (in English): Connacht Irish
- Name of the language (in the language itself) : Gaeilge Connacht
- ISO-639-3: ga-C

- Name of the language (in English): Ulster Irish
- Name of the language (in the language itself) : Gaeilg Uladh
- ISO-639-3: ga-U

(Note - Aside from the beginning 'ga' in the codes, these are not official ISO language codes. I was attempting to follow suit from some other dialects that have been added.)

We could also move Old Irish to this list too.

Added (and moved Old Irish there as well)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-08-04, 18:14

Luís wrote:
księżycowy wrote:I also notice the placement of Siberian Yupik is in a weird place on the drop-down menu in the UPC (in between Ewe and Extremaduran; Sirenki is in a weird place too) .

That's because the language code is ESS...

that's still weird, cause Central Alaskan didn't show up next to it, and it's code is esu if I recall.

Whatever the case, thanks once again for all the hard word, Luís! On all of it for that matter.

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2017-08-04, 19:21

Apart from Istanbul Turkish, which is originally the literary language, but then had also become a spoken language, there are lots of varieties of the Turkish language. The most known ones are the Anatolian dialects. Balkan Gagauz Turkish is a different Turkic language, as you can see it has a different ISO code.

English name: Anatolian Turkish
Native name: Anadolu Türkçesi
ISO 639-1 code: tr-ant
Flag: [flag=]tr-ant[/flag]

English name: Turkish Sign Language
Native name: Türk İşaret Dili
ISO 639-1 code: sgn-TR
Flag: [flag=]sgn-TR[/flag]

English name: South Azerbaijani
Native name: جنوبی آذربایجان دیلی
ISO 639-1 code: azb
Script used: Arabic
Flag: [ownflag=]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ed/Flag_of_South_Azerbaijan.svg/2000px-Flag_of_South_Azerbaijan.svg.png[/ownflag]

English name: Balkan Gagauz Turkish
Native name: Rumeli Türkçesi
ISO 639-1 code: bgx
Flag: [ownflag=]http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/m/mk!tr2.gif[/ownflag]
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2017-08-04, 19:27

Luís wrote:

Added under German.

The right language code there seems to be bar.

germantiger wrote:I was wondering if Alsatian could be added to the list? Someone asked about it in 2013 in this thread but no one responded. As a flag, the regional flag of Alsace could used. Thoughts?

Added

Should this be under German, too?

And with all the recent additions of dialects, I'll just bring up my old proposal again:
kevin wrote:Native name: Schwäbisch
Language: Swabian
Flag: Image
ISO: swg
Last edited by kevin on 2017-08-05, 9:34, edited 1 time in total.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-08-04, 19:31

I think the ISO code for Swabian is just 'swg', isn't it?

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-08-05, 6:22

kevin wrote:
Luís wrote:

Added under German.

The right language code there seems to be bar.

Added

And with all the recent additions of dialects, I'll just bring up my old proposal again:
ISO: (de-)swg

I'd swap the German flag with the Bavarian one, but that's pure nitpicking. :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-08-05, 7:01

Dr. House wrote:I'd swap the German flag with the Bavarian one, but that's pure nitpicking. :)

That's not nitpicking! My understanding is that Bavarian is pretty different from most varieties in Germany and more similar to what's spoken in (western) Austria and such anyway.

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2017-08-05, 9:49

księżycowy wrote:I think the ISO code for Swabian is just 'swg', isn't it?

Yes, it is. I was just trying to suggest that similar to Alsatian, it could make sense to list it unter German, but that has nothing to do with ISO, so I've removed the "(de-)" prefix now.

vijayjohn wrote:That's not nitpicking! My understanding is that Bavarian is pretty different from most varieties in Germany and more similar to what's spoken in (western) Austria and such anyway.

Well, national or other political borders don't really map well to the dialectal borders anyway. Bavarian is spoken only in parts of the state Bavaria (the dialects in other parts are Franconian and Swabian), but in most parts of Austria and in South Tyrol. Similarly, Alemannic dialects are spoken in Switzerland, Alsace, Baden-Württemberg, Vorarlberg and parts of Bavaria and Tyrol. Hard to find a single flag to represent them all.

Anyway, a Bavarian flag is probably still the most representative one of the dialect.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-08-05, 12:35

Elaine wrote:English name: Anatolian Turkish
Native name: Anadolu Türkçesi
ISO 639-1 code: tr-ant
Flag: [flag=]tr-ant[/flag]

English name: Turkish Sign Language
Native name: Türk İşaret Dili
ISO 639-1 code: sgn-TR
Flag: [flag=]sgn-TR[/flag]

English name: South Azerbaijani
Native name: جنوبی آذربایجان دیلی
ISO 639-1 code: azb
Script used: Arabic
Flag: [ownflag=]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ed/Flag_of_South_Azerbaijan.svg/2000px-Flag_of_South_Azerbaijan.svg.png[/ownflag]

English name: Balkan Gagauz Turkish
Native name: Rumeli Türkçesi
ISO 639-1 code: bgx
Flag: [ownflag=]http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/m/mk!tr2.gif[/ownflag]

Added. I also moved Ottoman Turkish under Turkish.

kevin wrote:The right language code there seems to be bar.

Changed both the code and the flag

kevin wrote:

Moved under German.

ISO: swg

Added

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”