Mutusen sa učí slovenčinu

Mutusen
Re: Mutusen sa učí slovenčinu

Postby Mutusen » 2011-04-28, 12:28

Thank you for your corrections and encouragement. :D But I have to admit it took me quite a while to look up words in a dictionary and check declensions.

UNI-Lukas wrote:The only way it can be used in the meaning of 'to use' would probably be 'užívateľ' (meaning 'a user') but that's about it really.

Yes, I found the word užívateľ so that's why I assumed that uživať meaned “to use”. And the dictionary I'm using just lists translations alphabetically, without indicating which meanings are more common or figurate.
„Koľko jazykov vieš, toľkokrát si človekom.“

Mutusen

Postby Mutusen » 2011-05-06, 13:53

Is it possible to guess if a feminine noun ending with a consonant is declined like dlaň or like kosť? Or do I just have to learn the genitive of these nouns?

qwerty

Postby qwerty » 2011-05-06, 21:24

We were taught the rules for assigning words to declension patterns at primary school, and I remember there was one for each of them except for dlaň and kosť. Wikipedia, however, states the following, which sounds very reasonable:
DLAŇ: This pattern is followed by feminine nouns that end with the consonants ň, j, ľ (except beľ, soľ), ď (except meď, mlaď), č (except reč, seč), š (except myš, voš), ž (except lož), dz, z, the consonat group šť (except Lešť, Budapešť, Bukurešť), foreign words ending at x, the words obec, pec, zem, čeľusť, kysť, päsť, and those feminine words ending at ť and r whose nominative plural ends at -e (as listed in this dictionary, or any other dictionary listing Slovak words). All other feminine words ending at a consonant follow the declension pattern kosť.

Mutusen

Postby Mutusen » 2011-05-08, 13:53

Thank you qwerty, it's helpful, except for the part about "feminine words ending at ť and r whose nominative plural ends at -e" (that's what I was fearing: they just have to be learned by heart, don't they?).

Also, I have seen in declension patterns possessive adjectives like otcov. When are such adjectives used? What's the difference with adjectives like otcovský or the genitive otca?

UNI-Lukas

Postby UNI-Lukas » 2011-05-08, 15:12

Mutusen wrote:Also, I have seen in declension patterns possessive adjectives like otcov. When are such adjectives used? What's the difference with adjectives like otcovský or the genitive otca?

Otcov/matkin are patterns we use for possessive adjectives. I can't really elaborate much on this though, I'm afraid :( In my opinion, that's how you should inflect possessive adjectives...e.g. Lukášov/Janov/Martinov/synov (belonging to (my) son),... Katkin etc etc...

Regarding your second question, you're probably going to hear the form "otca" more often than "otcovský"..To put it very simply, I'll try to give you an example of both:

otcovský is usually used with the expression "otcovská láska" - father's love. It's love that is provided by the father.

whereas

otca means "belonging to the father" for instance "Toto je bicykel môjho otca." - meaning "This is the bicycle of my father."

You just need to be careful with:
bicykel môjho otca = the bicycle of my father
otcov bicykel = father's bicycle

they both mean the same thing...

However "otcovský" is very general and it only relates to the word "father" as in "the father figure"...A better translation of this would probably be "fatherly" or "paternal" I can't even think of another example for "otcovský" to be honest. So as you can see you'll probably not hear it as often.

Hope this helps :?
[flag]sk[/flag] [flag]cs[/flag] [flag]en[/flag] [flag]de[/flag] [flag]es[/flag] [flag]nl[/flag] [flag]fi[/flag] [flag]el[/flag]

Mutusen

Postby Mutusen » 2011-05-18, 22:42

Thank you, I understand the difference between otcovský and the two others.

UNI-Lukas wrote:You just need to be careful with:

So does it make a difference if I use one or the other? Or are they interchangeable?

kotrcka

Postby kotrcka » 2011-05-19, 7:59

Mutusen wrote:Thank you, I understand the difference between otcovský and the two others.

UNI-Lukas wrote:You just need to be careful with:

So does it make a difference if I use one or the other? Or are they interchangeable?

Yes, they are.

Mutusen

Postby Mutusen » 2011-05-20, 21:38

Vďaka kotrcka.

Ďalšia otázka: aký je rozdiel medzi „umrieť“ a „zomrieť“?

(Actually I would have a million questions about differences between words but I don't want to overwhelm people. :D )

qwerty

Postby qwerty » 2011-05-21, 10:45

Mutusen wrote:Ďalšia otázka: aký je rozdiel medzi „umrieť“ a „zomrieť“?
Žiadny ;)

Mutusen

Postby Mutusen » 2011-06-03, 20:56

Ahojte. Mám otázku o slovenských nárečiach.

I read on Wikipedia that Slovak dialects are diverse, but I couldn't find more information about them. So, what are the differences? Can people from different regions understand each other easily, or do the variations hinder understanding? Should I worry about dialects when I'm in Slovakia?

Also, how do you say “make” as in “it makes me sad” or “don't make me say it”?

UNI-Lukas

Postby UNI-Lukas » 2011-06-05, 14:52

Mutusen wrote:Ahojte. Mám otázku ohľadom slovenských nárečí.

I read on Wikipedia that Slovak dialects are diverse, but I couldn't find more information about them. So, what are the differences? Can people from different regions understand each other easily, or do the variations hinder understanding? Should I worry about dialects when I'm in Slovakia?

Also, how do you say “make” as in “it makes me sad” or “don't make me say it”?

You really don't need to worry about this. There are two main "dialects" in Slovakia - (West vs. East) but they aren't that different at all. It's mainly just different intonation.

Every region has its own "dialect" (different names for things - they're all usually very archaic words though and nobody actually talks like that unless you go to a really really small random village somewhere in the countryside and talk to a person in their 70s/80s :wink: ) You will be perfectly fine.

Regarding the verb "to make", you can say
1) "vyrábať" as in "making paper, making things, making clothes" which basically means "to produce".

2) "robiť" as in "make a mistake" (robiť/urobiť chybu)

3) "it makes me sad" is quite difficult to translate accurately because this sentence construction doesn't exist in Slovak. Instead, we say "som z toho smutný" (literal translation - I am sad about it)
Similar expressions - "It makes me cry" - Chce sa mi z toho plakať. Or "You make me sick" = Je mi z teba zle.

4) As for "Don't make me say it" - in these kind of expressions we use the verb "nútiť" (to force)
Don't make me say it = Nenúť ma to povedať/Nenúť ma povedať to!
Don't make me go to school = Nenúť ma ísť do školy.
Don't make me leave = Nenúť ma odísť. etc

Hope I didn't confuse you too much :wink:
[flag]sk[/flag] [flag]cs[/flag] [flag]en[/flag] [flag]de[/flag] [flag]es[/flag] [flag]nl[/flag] [flag]fi[/flag] [flag]el[/flag]

Mutusen

Postby Mutusen » 2011-06-05, 16:08

Vďaka, rozumiem.

In my question you replaced o with ohľadom; why wasn't o correct?

Also, what is the difference between: veľa/mnoho, pár/zopár and málo/trochu?

UNI-Lukas

Postby UNI-Lukas » 2011-06-05, 16:36

Mutusen wrote:Vďaka, rozumiem.

In my question you replaced o with ohľadom; why wasn't o correct?

Also, what is the difference between: veľa/mnoho and málo/trochu?

Actually, "o" would've been perfectly fine as well..I just realized. But "ohľadom" ("regarding") sounds/sounded more natural to me. But yeah, "o" would work in this context as well.

"veľa" and "mnoho" mean "much/many" and there is no difference between them. You will, however, hear "veľa" much more often. "Mnoho" is actually quite formal.

málo = "little/few" ... I have little money = Mám málo peňazí. I have few books = Mám málo kníh.

trochu = a little. Give me a little bit of salt = Daj mi trochu soli. I can speak a little bit of Slovak = Hovorím trochu slovensky.

Mutusen

Postby Mutusen » 2011-06-12, 19:37

Ďakujem za odpoveď.

Dnes som priletel do Slovenska. Budem môcť testovať moje znalosti slovenčiny. :D

Mutusen

Postby Mutusen » 2011-06-16, 20:09

Ešte som nie veľa cvičil moju slovenčinu, ale kupil som si vreckový slovník. Prekvapuje ma, koľko českých kníh a vecí je na Slovensku. Môžu Slováci skutočne rozumieť po česky tak ľahko?

A dnes mi povedala predavačka „Jedna osem“. Ale „euro“ je slovo stredného rodu; prečo nepovedala „Jedno osem“? Alebo ja som zle počul?

Edit: druhá otázka. Práve som prečítal „s mnohými“. Prečo nie „so mnohými“? Veď sa povie „so mnou“.

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2011-06-18, 7:17

Mutusen wrote:Ešte som nie veľa necvičil (moju)* slovenčinu, ale kúpil som si vreckový slovník. Prekvapuje ma, koľko českých kníh a vecí je na Slovensku. Môžu Slováci skutočne rozumieť po česky tak ľahko?

A dnes mi povedala predavačka „Jedna osem“. Ale „euro“ je slovo stredného rodu; prečo nepovedala „Jedno osem“? Alebo (ja) som zle počul?

Edit: druhá otázka. Práve som prečítal „s mnohými“. Prečo nie „so mnohými“? Veď sa povie „so mnou“.

*words in brackets=unnecessary words

Pravdepodobne zlozvyk z čias starej meny (koruna - ženský rod)
You will never ever hear anywhere "Jedno osem" (too freaky)

and for the second question
mainly to ease the pronunciation
Native: (sk) (cs)
Advanced: (en)
Intermediate:(fr) (he)
Beginner: (ar) (es)

UNI-Lukas

Postby UNI-Lukas » 2011-06-21, 23:35

Mutusen wrote:(Actually I would have a million questions about differences between words but I don't want to overwhelm people. :D )

Kľudne sa pýtaj! Na to je tu toto fórum :wink:

Feel free to ask! That's what this forum is here for :wink:

Mutusen wrote:Prekvapuje ma, koľko českých kníh a vecí je na Slovensku. Môžu Slováci skutočne rozumieť po česky tak ľahko?

Samozrejme. Pre nás je to niečo ako Americká verzus Britská angličtina. Alebo skôr Španielčina v Španielsku a v Latinskej Amerike... respektíve keďže si francúz, môžem skúsiť - francúzština vo Francúzsku vs. v Kanade :D No možno je v češtine a slovenčine viac rozdielov, ale rozumieme si bez problémov. Veď sme bývali jedna krajina v podstate :wink:

Of course. For us it's something like American vs. British English. Or better yet - Spanish spoken in Spain and in Latin America... or since you're French I can try - French spoken in France vs. French spoken in Canada :D Well, maybe there are more differences between Slovak and Czech but we understand each other perfectly. We used to be one country, after all :wink:

Mutusen

Postby Mutusen » 2011-06-24, 14:50

Dobre, rozumiem. Ale myslím, že rozdiel medzi češtinou a slovenčinou je väčší, ako medzi francúzštinou Kanady a Francúzska.

Nová náhodná otázka: aký je rozdiel medzi menom a názovom? Osoby majú meno a veci majú názov?

UNI-Lukas

Postby UNI-Lukas » 2011-06-27, 12:33

Mutusen wrote:Dobre, rozumiem. Ale myslím, že rozdiel medzi češtinou a slovenčinou je väčší, ako medzi francúzštinou Kanady a Francúzska.

Ďalšia náhodná otázka: aký je rozdiel medzi menom a názovom? Osoby majú meno a veci majú názov?

Asi áno. Na osoby nikdy nepoužiješ "názov". Ale na veci sa niekedý dá povedať "meno".
Napr. : "názov/meno tohto mesta", "názov/meno tejto ulice" atď...

Alebo môžeš povedať - NÁZOV tohto zvieraťa je "pes" a jeho meno je "Rex" :D
Snáď to dáva zmysel :)

I think so. We never use "názov" for people. However, you can sometimes use "meno" for things.
E.g. : "názov/meno of this town", "názov/meno of this street" etc...

Or you can say - NÁZOV of this animal is "a dog" and its name (MENO) is "Rex" :D
Hope it makes sense :)

Mutusen

Postby Mutusen » 2011-06-27, 19:34

Ďakujem. A keďže hovoríš o zvieratach… Aký je rozdiel medzi zvieraťom a živočíchom?

Return to “Slovak (Slovenský)”