A TV series in Slovakia

Levo
A TV series in Slovakia

Postby Levo » 2008-09-26, 23:10

Hi everyone!
I'm from Hungary and I heard you have a TV-series in Slovakia which is a comedy about a Slovak and a Hungarian family living in the same neighbourhood and they sometimes don't understand each other and that it is famous in Slovakia.
Could anyone show me some videoclips from this?
D'akujem!

Mulder-21

Re: A TV series in Slovakia

Postby Mulder-21 » 2008-09-27, 11:35

Yes, the show is called 'Susedia' (Neighbours). It's mostly just in Slovak, but the Hungarian couple, László and Ildikő, appear to occasionally speak some Hungarian among themselves. The Slovak couple is called František and Zuzana.

I made a YouTube search here. There's one particular clip there somewhere where Ildikő is singing in Hungarian, that clip is called 1. spoločná noc.

I don't know how well you understand Slovak, but enjoy nevertheless :)
Gløgt er gestsins eyga. (Føroyskt orðafelli)
Wise is the stranger's eye. (Faroese saying)
L'occhio dell'ospite è acuto. (Proverbio faroico)
Hosťovo oko je múdre. (Faerské uslovie)

Fluent: Faroese, Danish, English, German
Almost fluent: Norwegian, Swedish
Basic: Slovak (studying), Spanish
Have studied: Hebrew, Russian
Interests: Ukrainian, Romanian, Italian, Albanian, Armenian, Ossetic, Hungarian, Estonian, Baltic languages

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-09-27, 22:24

Mulder-21 wrote:Yes, the show is called 'Susedia' (Neighbours). It's mostly just in Slovak, but the Hungarian couple, László and Ildikő, appear to occasionally speak some Hungarian among themselves. The Slovak couple is called František and Zuzana.

I made a YouTube search here. There's one particular clip there somewhere where Ildikő is singing in Hungarian, that clip is called 1. spoločná noc.

I don't know how well you understand Slovak, but enjoy nevertheless :)

Thank you so much! :D
I recognized it in the first moments that the Hungarian one must be the one on the right here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6AcXm_rpNE
because he sounds like a Hungarian trying to speak a foreign language but has a terrible Hungarian accent.

Mulder, I loved that episode in the bedroom :D Ildikó said to László: "Tell them I won't sleep until I haven't sung!" And then László lies back :D
Vánkush Anti-allergush? :D LOL We use vánkos (vánkosh) in Hungarian for pillow sometimes, I didn't know it was also from Slavic languages.
By the way, the ones in the video speak standard Hungarian. Though when László starts singing that Locomotive GT song, there is something strange in it, also in Ildikó's Hungarian, but I can't tell what. If I heard them for longer in Hungarian...

So, when I was in Slovakia I discovered this is the ultimate Slavic language for me. This is really the one having those terminations one tends to think about when its about mocking these languages.
I was in Poland and the Czech Republic also on that trip but Polish is just awful, and Czech is kind of boring. I don't know why but Slovak is milder than those two.
And you know what? I liked Poland a lot, and, though the Czech Republic is obviously the most developed of all of us ( including Hungary) but somehow it doesn't have any extras making one get to like it that much. Slovakia has atmosphere with its mountains, continuos forests and cute towns, and I don't know but somehow people seemed to be more tough both in Slovakia and Poland. In the Czech Rep. I saw the typical half-naked fat people I am used to at home.

Anyway, I like this series, I wish I understood Slovak more than some words.

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2008-09-28, 17:13

Seems like you and I think alike when it comes to V4, although I really like all of the countries. I at the time deliberately didn't choose the CR or Poland because Slovakia being so unknown in comparison as well as language just sounding great appealed to me right from the beginning. Btw. I have been thinking of sometime taking Hungarian courses here in BTS, but since I have to study so many languages at once at university, it has to be put on hold for now.

Actually, the Slovak word for pillow is vankúš, so very similar to the Hungarian word.

Is it possible that László and Ildikó speak some Slovak dialect of Hungarian? Someone mentioned that they had a harder time understanding Slovak Magyars than Hungarian Magyars. OK, you mention that they speak SH, but you also mentioned that there's something strange in it.

And yes, that bedroom episode was great. Especially after László explains to František that Ildikó has to sing otherwise she won't fall asleep. František then asks if she at least can't sing in Slovak, to which László replies: "If she did, none of us would fall asleep!" :D

Interests: Ukrainian, Romanian, Italian, Albanian, Armenian, Ossetic, Hungarian, Estonian, Baltic languages

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-09-28, 20:19

Mulder-21 wrote:Seems like you and I think alike when it comes to V4, although I really like all of the countries. I at the time deliberately didn't choose the CR or Poland because Slovakia being so unknown in comparison as well as language just sounding great appealed to me right from the beginning. Btw. I have been thinking of sometime taking Hungarian courses here in BTS, but since I have to study so many languages at once at university, it has to be put on hold for now.

Actually, the Slovak word for pillow is vankúš, so very similar to the Hungarian word.

Is it possible that László and Ildikó speak some Slovak dialect of Hungarian? Someone mentioned that they had a harder time understanding Slovak Magyars than Hungarian Magyars. OK, you mention that they speak SH, but you also mentioned that there's something strange in it.

And yes, that bedroom episode was great. Especially after László explains to František that Ildikó has to sing otherwise she won't fall asleep. František then asks if she at least can't sing in Slovak, to which László replies: "If she did, none of us would fall asleep!" :D

Haha! :D I didn't get that one!
Yeah, even though we belong to another language-family it is good to think of that still we belong to a similar cultural-group, the Visegrád-fours.
You know, my brother was the one who told me before that a Slovak showed him that series once but my brother forgot what the name was and he was very surprised when I told him that I got to know it from a Faroese guy studying in Slovakia. :)

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2008-09-28, 22:19

Levo wrote:the Visegrád-fours.

Well, Vyšehrad, but anyway... :p

Levo wrote:... and he was very surprised when I told him that I got to know it from a Faroese guy studying in Slovakia. :)

Lol, yes, I'm sure he was! :D

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-10-02, 19:30

Mulder-21 wrote:
Levo wrote:the Visegrád-fours.

Well, Vyšehrad, but anyway... :p

HAHA, well it depends which country do you live in.
Visegrád is a town in Hungary, it was the place where the three kings of Poland, the Czech Kingdom and Hungary met in 1335. And though we know its name has Slavic roots, this is a Hungarian town, it is not far from Budapest, so it has to be written Visegrád, but I accept it can have its other names in other countries. Vyšehrad in Slovakia for example. It became a greater city in the XIV. century.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visegr%C3%A1d

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2008-10-03, 0:02

Well, yes, that's the thing with South Slovakia/Northern Hungary being that it was/is a border region between two different peoples double naming and names from the other side is quite common. I guess you could expand the example with Visegrád/Vyšehrad to Komárom/Komárno, although in this case a city was divided into two (but note the two parts had only been together for 20 years anyway). Other examples could be Nitra/Nyitra, and we could also take Bratislava, which AFAIK is still known as Pozsony in Hungarian, while the German name Pressburg (or Preßburg rather, since the name seemed to disappear before the 1996 orthography changes) or in Slovak Prešporok is all but gone. However, there is this small café in the middle of Bratislava called Café Prešporok. :) The old Greek name, Istropolis still exists in 'Academia Istropolitana'.

But anyway, Levo, how's 'Susedia'? :)

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-10-03, 19:54

Mulder-21 wrote:Well, yes, that's the thing with South Slovakia/Northern Hungary being that it was/is a border region between two different peoples double naming and names from the other side is quite common. I guess you could expand the example with Visegrád/Vyšehrad to Komárom/Komárno, although in this case a city was divided into two (but note the two parts had only been together for 20 years anyway). Other examples could be Nitra/Nyitra, and we could also take Bratislava, which AFAIK is still known as Pozsony in Hungarian, while the German name Pressburg (or Preßburg rather, since the name seemed to disappear before the 1996 orthography changes) or in Slovak Prešporok is all but gone. However, there is this small café in the middle of Bratislava called Café Prešporok. :) The old Greek name, Istropolis still exists in 'Academia Istropolitana'.

But anyway, Levo, how's 'Susedia'? :)
I just love it :D So does my brother and we are both grateful for showing me :wink:
Actually I have just discovered recently that I feel so close to Slovaks and I am so sad there is this bad relationship between our countries which hampers any contact between our people. I would so like to talk with Slovaks about actual things, in reality we have much more in common than the differences.
Anyway, I like this series, I don't speak Slovak at all, but I can get a very few from it due to my memories in Croatian and Polish.

Riks

Postby Riks » 2008-11-05, 11:07

Mulder-21 wrote:Well, Vyšehrad, but anyway... :p

It doesn't matter, I think every Slovak has a great confusion in it, wheter to say Vyšehrad- or Visegrád-four. 8-) A good example is also using the name Miskolc instead of Slovak equivalent Miškovec /and that sounds really wildly, at least to me :lol: /.
Fluent: Slovak, Czech, English
Intermediate: German, Romanian
Basics: Hungarian, French, Swedish

riks@jabbim.sk

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2008-11-05, 14:29

Well, l2i50, that's understandable, given that there are Vyšehrads in all V4 countries except Slovakia, AFAIK, so... :p

I personally always use Vyšehrad for two reasons both related to busses:

Route 95 passes my faculty every once in a while, and it has Vyšehradská as its final stops.
Also after taking train trips, I need to take the number 93 to connect with my bus home. And 93 also has Vyšehradská as its final stop. :)

But that's me. I'm not sure about my Slovak class mates, since well, Visegrád/Vyšehrad isn't a topic often discussed. But I did notice the media using pretty much only the term "V4" (vé štyri).

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-11-14, 18:34

I2i50 wrote:
Mulder-21 wrote:Well, Vyšehrad, but anyway... :p

It doesn't matter, I think every Slovak has a great confusion in it, wheter to say Vyšehrad- or Visegrád-four. 8-) A good example is also using the name Miskolc instead of Slovak equivalent Miškovec /and that sounds really wildly, at least to me :lol: /.
Really? Miškovec looks more original to me, but maybe I overestimate it. Does it mean anything? (Just because Miskolc doesn't mean anything in Hungarian.)

Riks

Postby Riks » 2008-11-14, 20:03

Levo wrote:Really? Miškovec looks more original to me, but maybe I overestimate it. Does it mean anything? (Just because Miskolc doesn't mean anything in Hungarian.)
No, it doesn't mean anything. Maybe it's just because of the fact, that I prefer original town names.
Fluent: Slovak, Czech, English
Intermediate: German, Romanian
Basics: Hungarian, French, Swedish

riks@jabbim.sk

Levo

Postby Levo » 2009-03-21, 16:54

By the way, if you want to know, a great part of Hungarians in Slovakia speak the same funny dialect which this Gipsy family speaks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRRtNvJM ... re=related
but in its parody-show they put more stress on their dialect(+Gipsy words)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_U-odpu ... re=related

Return to “Slovak (Slovenský)”