A, to me, strange incident

Mulder-21
A, to me, strange incident

Postby Mulder-21 » 2007-10-11, 13:33

Píšem tento 'post' po anglicky, aby oni, ktorí nehovoria po slovensky, tiež ho rozumejú.

When I was returning home from the faculty yesterday, I was talking to a girl from my class. She's Slovak and we had a nice Slovak conversation.

However, the beginning was kinda awkward for me, because she called me 'vy' (formal pronoun). Now, I'm only 25, and she was a classmate of mine, so I found it a bit strange/awkward. I told her to say 'ty' (informal pronoun), but in the following sentence she did use a formal form, before quickly reverting to an informal, and that's how we talked for the rest of the conversation.

That was the story, now a follow up question for Slovaks.

Is it common for Slovaks to called their classmates 'vy'? Or might the fact that I'm a foreigner and/or the fact that I'm comparatively old (she's about 18) have be a factor?
Gløgt er gestsins eyga. (Føroyskt orðafelli)
Wise is the stranger's eye. (Faroese saying)
L'occhio dell'ospite è acuto. (Proverbio faroico)
Hosťovo oko je múdre. (Faerské uslovie)

Fluent: Faroese, Danish, English, German
Almost fluent: Norwegian, Swedish
Basic: Slovak (studying), Spanish
Have studied: Hebrew, Russian
Interests: Ukrainian, Romanian, Italian, Albanian, Armenian, Ossetic, Hungarian, Estonian, Baltic languages

marekcarey

Postby marekcarey » 2007-11-24, 18:09

Hello.
Why not:) If she wanted to be very polite she called U in very polite way. People call me "Vy" aswell, and Im only 18. Depends on how much polite the person is.
Hope this helps u little bit.
Have A Nice Day

Return to “Slovak (Slovenský)”