My conlang

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators:Ashucky, Dormouse559

Losam
My conlang

Postby Losam » 2016-05-04, 2:44

Hello guys!

So, below, a demo of my conlang's alphabet, phonology and orthography:

Vowels:
  • Close, front: i
  • Close, back: u
  • Close-mid, front: e
  • Close-mid, back: o
  • Open, front: a
  • Open, back: ɑ
  • Near-open front: æ;

Pulmonic consonants:
  • Plosive: bilabial (p, b), alveolar (t, d), velar (k), uvular (G)
  • Nasal: bilabia (m), alveolar (n)
  • Trill: alveolar (r)
  • Friactive: labiodental (f, v), alveolar (s, z), postalveolar (ʃ, ʒ)
  • Lateral approximant: alveolar (l)
  • Others: dʒ, dz, tʃ, ts

Alphabet:
  • Vowels: A, E , I, O, U
  • Consonants: B, K, D, F, G, H, J, L, M, N, P, R, S, T, V, Z
  • Alphabet order: A, B, K, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, L, M, N, O, P, R, S, T, V, U, Z

Diphthongs:
  • AI (like the letter "i" in "smite")
  • AU (au)
  • EI (ei)
  • EU (eu)
  • IA (ja)
  • IO (jo)
  • UI (ui)
  • UA (ua)

Others:
  • AE (æ, like in the letter "a" of "apple", "cat", "gap")
  • DZ (dz)
  • DJ (dʒ, like in "damage", "joke")
  • TF (tʃ)
  • TS (tʃ)

Note:
  • "R" is always trilled like the "r" in Finnish;
  • "C" doesn't belongs to my conlang's alphabet. This letter can be replaced by "k" or "s" according of the situation;
  • "X" and "Y" doesn't belongs too. Maybe in loan words or something like that;

So, what do you think? Feel free to give your opinion, correct me (I'm new with conlang) and give some tips (if you don't mind of course). Please, let me know in the comments.

uzferry

Re: My conlang

Postby uzferry » 2016-05-04, 20:52

Hey, I'm not into this conlang stuff at all and I don't really know anything about it, but I have a question - why not represent "ts" as "c"? You know, why not give the poor letter some love ;)

Losam

Postby Losam » 2016-05-04, 23:32

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK I died by laughing :rotfl: . Well, I wanna build a phonetic language, and "c" has the same sound of "k" and/or "s" in my native language for example (also in my conlang). By the way, thanks so much for your comment. :D

Llawygath

Postby Llawygath » 2016-07-22, 5:32

You have /k/ and /ɢ/, but no /g/ or /q/? Doesn't that seem a bit odd? You don't have to aim for strict realism, but many of us do so.

My version of English has [ʌɪ] for "i" in "smite", not [aɪ], so unless your <ai> is meant to be pronounced [ʌɪ], I'd recommend sticking to IPA.

Why is /tʃ/ written as both <tf> and <ts>, or was one of them meant to be /ts/? <tf> seems like a strange way to write either.

Other than that, it looks reasonable so far, though I'm unsure how the orthography corresponds to the phonemes outside of the diphthongs and affricates. Is /ʃ/ <h> and /ʒ/ <j>?

Losam

Postby Losam » 2016-07-31, 16:28

Yes, in my first conlang, I decided to don't put "q" and "g" because the vowel "u" cannot appear after "g" and "q".
I tried to mean that my "ai" diphthong is a compound of "a" (open, front vowel) plus "i" (close, front vowel).
I made a mess with "TS" and "TF", actually, "TS" is "ts" sound while "TF" has "tʃ" sound.
The consonant "f" has the sound of "ʃ" while "dj" has the "dʒ" sound.

I'm still studying about phonetics and phonology (and I'm not finished this part of my conlang). When it get done I'll post some updates about it.

Above all, thank you for your comment and attention.

Return to “Conlangs”