Asian Conlang Help

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators:Ashucky, Dormouse559

Pasie
Asian Conlang Help

Postby Pasie » 2015-09-10, 0:21

I want to make a conlang based off of Mandarin, Japanese, Mongolian, Viêtnamese, Laos, etc. but I don't know a single word in any of them. Any ideas? Also, how would I create the characters? Were the (traditional) Chinese characters based on anything?
Any help would be appreciated!

-Pascale :D

ltrout99

Re: Asian Conlang Help

Postby ltrout99 » 2015-09-10, 3:00

Pasie wrote:I want to make a conlang based off of Mandarin, Japanese, Mongolian, Viêtnamese, Laos, etc. but I don't know a single word in any of them. Any ideas? Also, how would I create the characters? Were the (traditional) Chinese characters based on anything?
Any help would be appreciated!

-Pascale :D

Just to shorten it all up, not all of these languages come from the same ancestor. There isn't going to be one word the same in all of those. If you are wanting to create an AuxLang of those, then you could borrow a little bit from each. If you just want to use those for inspiration and/or base your language off of them, you can just take a word from whichever one you would like. As for the characters, do what you think is best. Chinese uses a logography and most of the other languages you mentioned don't, so I wouldn't use a logography. The best bet would be to use a syllabary like Japanese does, but it depends mainly on your phonology and how you would like to construct your words.
[flag=]en[/flag] My native, and not so favorite language..
[flag=]es[/flag] La primera idioma que aprendí! Casi fluidez!
[flag=]de[/flag] Derzeit diese Sprache zu lernen!
[flag=]fr[/flag] Je suis également l'apprentissage de cette belle, encore fou, langue!
[flag=]zh[/flag]我想在生活中学习这门语言后面
[flag=]ja[/flag]私はすぐにこの言語を学びたいです!
[flag=]ar-sa[/flag]..أعتذر لاستخدام مترجم جوجل على اثنين من لغات الأخيرة أعلاه

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-09-10, 3:47

Pasie wrote:Were the (traditional) Chinese characters based on anything?

Yes.

Are you so busy creating languages you don't have time to learn about any of them? There's plenty of good information out there on Chinese, Japanese, and other East Asian languages. Read some introductory articles, then come back when you have some actual questions to ask.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

WallOfStuff

Postby WallOfStuff » 2015-09-10, 5:23

linguoboy wrote:

Yes.

Are you so busy creating languages you don't have time to learn about any of them? There's plenty of good information out there on Chinese, Japanese, and other East Asian languages. Read some introductory articles, then come back when you have some actual questions to ask.
Honestly lb, sometimes your posts literally make me lol. xD

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-09-10, 13:06

WallOfStuff wrote:
linguoboy wrote:

Yes.

Honestly lb, sometimes your posts literally make me lol. xD

"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Return to “Conlangs”