Conmap(s)

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators:Ashucky, Dormouse559

WallOfStuff
Conmap(s)

Postby WallOfStuff » 2015-09-02, 20:43

Anyone here have a conmap they made for a conworld or whatever?

Here's one I made last September. I showed a few of you already but I don't think I posted it on here.

To be honest, I don't remember why I made it... it's one of those things where I did it and don't remember why or how I did. I must have had a lot of energy that I wasted on some useless creative endeavor. xD Not the first time I've done that.

Anyway, it's pretty straightforward. Each country is marked by a different color and number. Letters denote territories off of the mainland country. For example, the 1b cluster of islands are territories of 1.

None of these places even have names. I guess that, at the time, I made the map with the intent of making languages and cultures and histories for all of these places... don't know how on Earth I would have done that. @_@ So now I just have it for show. To say "Look, I made this even though it doesn't mean anything. :3".

JANKO

Re: Conmap(s)

Postby JANKO » 2015-09-03, 13:40

I noticed your conmap. Could you please tell me what is means numbers 1, 2,...on this map. Name for languages?
Thank you for informations!

Mentilliath

Postby Mentilliath » 2015-09-04, 16:30

I've created some rough sketches of my conworld, Dandarn, but I haven't computerized it or marked out all the countries I imagine existing there. I've always wanted to create a world with smaller continents like yours, but mine seems to mainly consist of huge ones -_-

I may post a picture of what I have so far, but I'll have to polish it up a bit first.
Primary Conlang: Halvian
Additional conlangs: Hesternese (Aikedenejo), Galsaic (sister language of Halvian), and Ogygian (unrelated to the others.

WallOfStuff

Postby WallOfStuff » 2015-09-06, 21:10

JANKO wrote:I noticed your conmap. Could you please tell me what is means numbers 1, 2,...on this map. Name for languages?
Thank you for informations!
Each number just points out a different country. I didn't make names or languages for any of them. It's to make the map easier to read (as is the purpose of the different colors). As well, the letter attached to certain numbers mark territories. For example, 1a is a territory of country 1.

Mentilliath wrote:I've created some rough sketches of my conworld, Dandarn, but I haven't computerized it or marked out all the countries I imagine existing there. I've always wanted to create a world with smaller continents like yours, but mine seems to mainly consist of huge ones -_-

I may post a picture of what I have so far, but I'll have to polish it up a bit first.
I think I went a bit overboard though. So many random island nations. xD The whole thing isn't exactly realistic but then again if everything was realistic, it'd be somewhat boring and predictable. Has to be a slight twist to it. ;)

Pasie

Postby Pasie » 2015-09-07, 12:34

This. is. seriously. AWESOME!

You have inspired me :D
(You should be running, screaming and barricading your doors and windows, because me being inspired to do something creative? The worst volcanic eruption of weird ideas and actual nonsense lol)

Mentilliath

Postby Mentilliath » 2015-09-22, 3:35

Here's a preliminary sketch of the continent of Sorsan. The position of Sorsan has changed over time, and there are at least 5 other continents I want to include in this world, but their positions are tentative as well, so here I've only drawn Sorsan and the tiniest bit of Wenawan that juts out towards Halvia:

Dotted lines are boundaries between kingdoms. Blue lines are roads.
Additional conlangs: Hesternese (Aikedenejo), Galsaic (sister language of Halvian), and Ogygian (unrelated to the others.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-09-22, 3:56

It looks a lot like the UK :lol: Including the Republic of Ireland. All it's missing are the many islands of Scotland.

I've made a map, but, like many things involving Isya, I'm planning on fixing it.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-09-22, 5:20

Koko wrote:It looks a lot like the UK :lol: Including the Republic of Ireland. All it's missing are the many islands of Scotland.

That's exactly what I was thinking about.

He also has a Wales of his own. :whistle:

Mentilliath

Postby Mentilliath » 2015-09-22, 5:48

Originally it was turned on its side, horizontal-wise. But the placement of the other continents made me prefer to face it this way. So it kind of resembles Westeros, Great Britain, and any other landmass that's longer than it is wide and contains many inlets :P

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-09-22, 6:11

Well, my very first draft of Isya looked a lot like North America with an extremely small Mexico-combined Central America and half finished SA :lol:

Then I fixed theat into something else, but now I'm going to change that new version into something else. I can't make things and like them immediately apparently :whistle:

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-09-22, 8:25

Mentilliath wrote:Here's a preliminary sketch of the continent of Sorsan.

1. How big is that? For example if you were to compared to Europe.

2. Zazania? Why?

The other purple names remind me of Latin, except the Northlands and the one beginning with a K.

Mentilliath

Postby Mentilliath » 2015-09-22, 16:39

Levike wrote:
Mentilliath wrote:Here's a preliminary sketch of the continent of Sorsan.

1. How big is that? For example if you were to compared to Europe.

2. Zazania? Why?

The other purple names remind me of Latin, except the Northlands and the one beginning with a K.

The names are definitely inspired by IE languages, since Halvian is partly based on IE. The names are Latin-spellings of the Halvian names: Ikástiom, Morália, Gálsai, Zazánia, etc. The Galsaeans for example, call their country Gâlšiai ('gɨlʃʲeɪ).

1. I'm not sure entirely how big I picture it, but a bit bigger than Europe. If you take a chunk out of Africa, from Chad and Sudan down to South Africa, you'll get the approximate size of Sorsan (it's smaller than that, but you'll get about the right length that I picture). From the Halvian coast to the Galsaean coast, I at least picture being about the same as from Namibia to Mozambique.

2. Why not? :wink: The name was inspired by Zizania, the genus of wild rice. Zazania is not a country, but rather a loose confederation of cities that speak a common tongue. The City of Silk being the largest of those cities (in fact, the largest city in the world). To the Halvians, Zazania is an exotic place of strange customs and expensive products.
Last edited by Mentilliath on 2015-09-22, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-09-22, 16:43

Mentilliath wrote:2. Why not? :wink:

I cannot stop thinking about Zimbabwe and Zanzibar.

To the Halvians, Zazania is an exotic place of strange customs.

Just like Zimbabwe and Zanzibar. :whistle:

Mentilliath

Postby Mentilliath » 2015-09-22, 16:46

Yes, there is some association of the letter Z with exoticism. Nózoran (another continent) is the most exotic of them all, a land of dense impenetrable jungle. And that has a z in it, as does the major city on the continent, Rakónzidar.

So subconsciously or not, I do seem to be associating z with exoticism :P

Return to “Conlangs”