Inspiration

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators:Ashucky, Dormouse559

Pasie
Inspiration

Postby Pasie » 2015-08-20, 19:07

I'm trying to come up with a conscript. It has 19 vowels (lol) and 15 consonants. Any suggestions for what writing type I should use? Any ideas on how I'm supposed to represent 19 vowels? (5 a's, 5 e's, 4 o's, 4 u's and 1 i)

linguoboy

Re: Inspiration

Postby linguoboy » 2015-08-20, 20:15

Pasie wrote:I'm trying to come up with a conscript. It has 19 vowels (lol) and 15 consonants. Any suggestions for what writing type I should use? Any ideas on how I'm supposed to represent 19 vowels? (5 a's, 5 e's, 4 o's, 4 u's and 1 i)

It would help if we could see what they are. As vijayjohn pointed out elsewhere, it's possible that some of these distinctions are allophonic rather than phonemic and therefore don't need to be represented in the script.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Pasie

Postby Pasie » 2015-08-20, 20:53

It would help if we could see what they are. As vijayjohn pointed out elsewhere, it's possible that some of these distinctions are allophonic rather than phonemic and therefore don't need to be represented in the script.

FIGURED OUT HOW TO DO QUOTES!!!!!
Anyways, here are the letters:
Consonants:
B C
D G
H J
K M
N P
R S
T V
Z

Vowels:
a, ȧ, á, ä, a̋
e, ė, é, ë, e̋
o, ȯ, ó, ö, ő
u, ụ (But the dot on top), ú, ü, ű
i (just one i :lol: )

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-08-20, 21:05

That doesn't tell me what sound each one represents, let alone what contexts they occur in.

The vowels of General American, for instance, are:

Simple:
/i/
/ɪ/
/u/
/ʊ/
/ɛ/
/ə/
/ɔ/
/æ/
/ɑ/

Diphthongs:
/eɪ/ /aɪ/ /ɔɪ/ /aʊ/ /oʊ/

Some analyses would add /ʌ/ and /ɜ/ as well, but it's simpler to consider these allophones of /ə/ (the first a stressed variant, the second a variant before /r/).

When it comes to orthographical representation, there are multiple ways of writing each of these. /i/, for instance, can be written ae, ee, ea, e, i, ie, y, etc. But if you were designing an orthography from scratch, you'd most likely want to pick one symbol and use it throughout.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Pasie

Postby Pasie » 2015-08-20, 22:11

NOTE: It's a very tonal language.
I don't know IPA, so...
a is like the french à, said with your mouth wide open. Sounds like ahoy (higher a).
ȧ is like the french é (with a y at the end), said with your mouth in an oval shape. Sounds like hey.
á is a slightly lower version of a, said with your mouth in an oval shape. Sounds like a toy.
ä like uh, said with your mouth slightly open. Sounds like butler.
a̋ is the lowest a, said as if you were going to say oooooh. Sounds like awesome.

If I did every letter... That would take forever, but generally:
-no accent- is the base, usually quite high.
-dot- is the highest, usually ending with a y sound.
-acute accent- is slightly lower than -no accent-.
-double dot- is the dullest, usually making it sound like uh or euh.
-double acute accent- is the lowest, usually the base, but pronounced in a small circle-shaped mouth.

A is like the french à.
E is pronounced eh.
O is pronounced like the french o.
U is like the french u.
I is pronounced ee.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-08-20, 22:22

Pasie wrote:NOTE: It's a very tonal language.
I don't know IPA, so...
a is like the french à, said with your mouth wide open. Sounds like ahoy (higher a).
ȧ is like the french é (with a y at the end), said with your mouth in an oval shape. Sounds like hey.
á is a slightly lower version of a, said with your mouth in an oval shape. Sounds like a toy.
ä like uh, said with your mouth slightly open. Sounds like butler.
a̋ is the lowest a, said as if you were going to say oooooh. Sounds like awesome.

When you say "higher" and "lower", it sounds to me like you're talking about the position of the tongue. This has nothing whatsoever to do with tonal distinctions, which are expressed by variations in the overall pitch of the vowel relative to neighbouring vowels.

Pasie wrote:If I did every letter... That would take forever, but generally:
-no accent- is the base, usually quite high.
-dot- is the highest, usually ending with a y sound.

Then it's a diphthong, not a simple vowel. The logical way to write it in order to reduce the number of sounds needed would be with two characters. (The IPA representation of hey, for instance, would be [heɪ̯].)

Pasie wrote:-acute accent- is slightly lower than -no accent-.
-double dot- is the dullest, usually making it sound like uh or euh.

That sounds like a reduced vowel. All things being equal, you wouldn't expect vowels like this in stressed position, so if stress is indicated in this language then you might not need distinct symbols for these.

Pasie wrote:-double acute accent- is the lowest, usually the base, but pronounced in a small circle-shaped mouth.

So, in other words, rounded?

Pasie wrote:A is like the french à.
E is pronounced eh.
O is pronounced like the french o.
U is like the french u.
I is pronounced ee.

So how does <ė> differ from <ȧ>?

Pasie

Postby Pasie » 2015-08-20, 22:29

THANKS! You really helped! You basically read my mind (I'm weird, I know :D ). Oh! And to answer your question:
So how does <ė> differ from <ȧ>?

I guess they'd be the same.
Thanks again!
-Pasie

Pasie

Postby Pasie » 2015-08-20, 22:32

Oh! and by higher and lower, I do mean the position of the tongue and/or the position of the mouth.
Sorry for the un-precision :?

Return to “Conlangs”