What is the most outstanding feature in your Conlang?

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators:Ashucky, Dormouse559

martinluan
What is the most outstanding feature in your Conlang?

Postby martinluan » 2015-05-30, 4:44

Your conlang might have various specific features comparing with other languages, conscript, the grammar structure, word building, pronunciation, etc. Could you pick only one and brief it? Thanks!

Koko

Re: What is the most outstanding feature in your Conlang?

Postby Koko » 2015-05-30, 4:59

Isyan has a strong voiced bilabial/labio-dental plosive contrast. It's very uncommon, but it has been documented as a possible contrast in one speaker of some Bantu language, so it's not like it's too unlikely that it couldn't exist ever. In Isyan, this sound is represented by <bh>.

Before /w/, it may become [ʋ]. This realization of the cluster /b̪w/ is common among Verosi Isyans and Icgans (whose pronunciation is influenced by their other official language (native to a majority of the country), where /b̪/ has been replaced by /ʋ/ in all instances). It is also a realization common to non-natives not of Isyan descent. Most of these come from the Sambren region of Prajen and Qučir.

Mentilliath

Postby Mentilliath » 2015-05-30, 23:13

^Yeah see, I don't even have any interesting sounds like that.

Is there anything outstanding about Halvian? :para: Not really. Its phonological inventory is fairly standard and common. No unusual sounds, no bizarre allophony...just the sounds of classical Latin with the addition of /v/ and /θ/. I think Halvian's very complex ablaut system is pretty cool, though.

And then...the morphology is just PIE morphology with some modifications; it's very similar to Ancient Greek morphology, just with more cases, numbers, and moods. Likewise, Halvian's movable accent system is similar to Greek's. Not too much unique there.

I love the writing system I created and I do think it looks interesting (all the symbols only take one stroke to write), but I never use it since I do everything on the computer. Oh well :D
Primary Conlang: Halvian
Additional conlangs: Hesternese (Aikedenejo), Galsaic (sister language of Halvian), and Ogygian (unrelated to the others.

Ahzoh

Postby Ahzoh » 2015-05-31, 2:55

I can't think of anything particular...
Well, firstly, my conlang has a triconsonantal root system, and it has SOV in active voice, but VSO in passive voice.

Mentilliath wrote:I love the writing system I created and I do think it looks interesting (all the symbols only take one stroke to write), but I never use it since I do everything on the computer. Oh well :D

I can make you a font of your conscript if you wish, then you won't be able to have excuse for not using it.
A native of [flag=]en-CA[/flag]
Conlang: Image
Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.46

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-05-31, 4:36

Mentilliath wrote:just the sounds of classical Latin with the addition of /v/ and /θ/.

And the exclusion of /y/ (which is debatable of ever existing in Latin though).

I love the writing system I created and I do think it looks interesting (all the symbols only take one stroke to write), but I never use it since I do everything on the computer. Oh well :D

I love mine too. I even have typed and written versions of it :D I don't use it because I just don't, even though I very well could, given I do 97% of my work on paper.

Fox Saint-Just

Postby Fox Saint-Just » 2015-05-31, 13:22

I don't know how much outstanding it is (it probably isn't) but Xetlaqui has a predicative declension case, which is used to translate "X is Y".

Example: asholli means "cute, pretty". Its singular predicative case is asholek.
Vepyaqui asholek. That girl [is] pretty.
Native: [flag=]it[/flag] [flag=]egl[/flag] B2: [flag=]en[/flag] Intermediate: [flag=]de[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag] Curious about: [flag=]ru[/flag] [flag=]hy[/flag] [flag=]eu[/flag] [flag=]nah[/flag] [flag=]ga[/flag] [flag=]sr[/flag]
[flag=]art[/flag] Currently developing Ardlang: http://www.unilang.org/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=40076.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-05-31, 13:32

Out of all, the most outstanding would be the script: http://i59.tinypic.com/30saedh.png

Then there are 2 or 3 grammar features:

- Adverbs change according to the person.
The "well" in "I play well" and "He plays well" would look different and get different endings.

- There is no rule saying when to use the plural ending. If it's redundant then you can just drop it.
If the subject of the sentence is in plural it's not compulsory for the verb to also be in plural.
Imagine saying in Spanish "ellos trabaja" instead of "ellos trabajan".

- Endings and suffixes can change place within a word.
You can add the plural ending to a noun and then the dative one, or vice-versa.

SostiMatiko

Postby SostiMatiko » 2015-07-10, 10:39

Dama is all outstanding, but the most outstanding with it is that it is NOT a conlang. Because a conlang is designed according to (usually one) person's views and knowledge, but Dama was not designed according to my ideas; if it were, it would be SostiMatiko, which is indeed designed according to my ideas. Dama has been designed according to mathematic principles as simple as possible and the meanings attached to the morphemes by means of divination.
Apart from an expressive usage of vowels in informal Dama, no affixes are allowed in it except from the 3 possible vowels in the end of words, and a final -n to enable flexibility in word order.
In the https://www.academia.edu/12434367/theory_history you can find all unique features of Dama, of which the most unique is that.
ॐ भूर् भु॑वः सुवः त॑त् सवितु॑र् व॑रेणियं भ॑र्गो देव॑स्य धीमहि धि॑यो यो॑ नः प्रचोद॑यात्

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2015-07-10, 17:37

As for my conlang Alaia, its most outstanding features are:

• All content words (nouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs) are at least two syllables long. (This is actually attested in the natlang Xhosa, which even adds a meaningless extra prefix to imperatives when the general rules say they should be only one syllable long.)
  • It has quite a number of affixes that derive verbs from verbs based on body parts. For example: arms-do means "to do sth with one's arms, to do sth with effort", finger-do means "to do something carefully", back-do means "to do sth with one's back, to do sth under pressure", etc.
  • It has affixes meaning "man/woman/boy/girl with X trait" (Japanese has a suffix meaning "girl with X trait": 眼鏡っ娘 meganekko 'girl with glasses', derived from 眼鏡 megane 'glasses').
  • A few of its adverbs agree in gender with the subject or an object (in a similar way as in Levike's conlang above). Some of said adverbs are the Alaia equivalents of "well, badly, totally/completely, all, somewhat, not at all, also, even, not even, only". As you can see, it's mostly just the "core" adverbs that do it, place/manner/time/sentential adverbs generally don't do this.
  • A pseudo-duodecimal number system, using base 10 for integers and decimals but base 12 for fractions (similar to the system attested in Classical Latin, see this article).
  • There's an equivalent of sentential adverbs (like "frankly/honestly, surprisingly/curiously, sadly, (un)fortunately, hopefully, bafflingly, thankfully, ideally...", particularly when used at the beginning of the sentence followed by a little pause), but the equivalent is not adverbial in nature: it's verbs in the future tense referring to the rest of the sentence. For example, literally "it'll be sad" > sadly, "it'll be unusual" > curiously, "it'll be god-given" > fortunately, "it'll be god-resentful" > hopefully. Some are fully grammaticalized, e.g. the verb "to be sad" isn't actually used anymore, except in its future form as a sentential adverb.
  • It uses an auxiliary verb to form the imperative plural, while using a bare form of the verb for the singular.
  • Practically every transitive verb can simply drop its direct object core argument and so become intransitive, if the direct object is obvious enough from context. Subjects can be dropped if they're obvious too. (Attested in Mandarin Chinese.)
  • It only has four basic colours: white, black, red-orange, green-blue. (Attested in Classical and Post-Classical Latin, with albus, niger, ruber, viridis. Notice how Isidore of Seville, in the 7th century, describes the colour of the sea as something between viridis and niger, instead of saying it is caeruleus outright...)
  • It uses a lot of parataxis, that is, it uses clauses seemingly at the same level as the main clause where English and your typical European language would use a subordinate clause. (This is partly inspired by Classical Arabic and its use of the conjunctions wa- 'and' and fa- 'so' where English would use a subordinator, but especially inspired by Classical Chinese.)
Last edited by Bubulus on 2015-07-10, 20:25, edited 3 times in total.

Irkan

Postby Irkan » 2015-07-10, 19:52

I would say that the moat outstanding feature of Chuhuntal is its agentive-patientive alignment (the core cases are called nominative and absolutive). The nominative (external argument) carries a certain degree of volition, while the absolutive (internal) has none. This is combined with a high degree of incorporation. For example:

(a) ŋula ikayfu pisuqu
1SG.NOM look-PRS.DUR dog[ABS]-DEF
I am looking at the dog.

(b) hura ikaypisufu
1SG.ABS see-dog-PRS.DUR
I see a dog.

Fox Saint-Just wrote:I don't know how much outstanding it is (it probably isn't) but Xetlaqui has a predicative declension case, which is used to translate "X is Y"

I have something similar. The endings -sawa, -haku and -kumu turn "X" into adjectives meaning "to be X", "to not be X" and "to become X".

Serafín wrote:All content words (nouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs) are at least two syllables long. (This is actually attested in the natlang Xhosa, which even adds a meaningless extra prefix to imperatives when the general rules say they should be only one syllable long.)

I have this same feature in Chuhuntal, except for adverbs, which might be monosyllabic if they serve as auxialiaries (want, help, need, etc.).
Last edited by Irkan on 2015-08-21, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-07-10, 20:57

Since everybody's sharing more than one outstanding feature, I might as well share one more ^^

An interesting thing to do in Isyan is to conjugate nouns to form there logical verb equivalent. When doing so, however, you have to use subject pronouns.

For example, take the noun "uribhona" (clarinet). In the following three sentences, it means "to play the clarinet":

Sa kinesus uribhona.— I play my clarinet for a friend.
Hayot sa uribhona.— Yesterday I practiced the clarinet. (without temporal adverb, the genitive [uribhono] is the past tense.)
Allos bivartu uribhonu.— Allos will play [the clarinet] well.

Another example, is to take the noun "toksa" (cup) and conjugate it thus,

Copilan fervoyat toksu.— The sky (properly, the rain) will fill the cup with water.

This isn't a colloquialism, as it occurs often in even Old Isyan.

There are many short forms of verbs that are simply verbs in -seyan without -eyan in the genitive. For example, meseyan (to say/speak) becomes "mesj" as a way to say "(I/you) say/said/will say" and as an imperative. Sometimes this gets a slightly different meaning, such as "pres" (from preseyan, to dream) being a nap, and presc being to nap (first and second person in all tenses). In literature, these forms may be used for the third person singular.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2015-07-12, 0:39

Koko wrote:Since everybody's sharing more than one outstanding feature, I might as well share one more ^^

In the title, he worded it as if he wanted only one feature, but then in the rest of the post he mentions he wants a bit of everything (pronunciation, word formation, etc.).

xroox

Postby xroox » 2015-08-14, 18:11

I think Tnaaq's allophony is interesting. There are several processes like palatalization, spirantization, assimilation and voicing which combined produce 53 phones out of 12 phonemes. The phoneme /kʷ/, por example, has the allophones [kʷ], [gʷ], [p], [b], [xʷ], [ɸ], [β].
Quiero una ciruela flotando en perfume... en un sombrero de hombre

Pasie

Postby Pasie » 2015-08-20, 18:54

The ridiculously easy verbs! (Only 3 tenses)
But it's EXTREMELY tonal...

Return to “Conlangs”