Isiota

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators:Ashucky, Dormouse559

Koko
Re: Isyan

Postby Koko » 2015-04-27, 6:29

Dormouse559 wrote:In fact, a more convincing minimal pair wouldn't involve /r/ either. It would be /ˈgɪltɑ˞/ vs. /ˈgɪltɑ/.

Which does indeed exist! ^^ /ˈgɪltɑ/ is the indicative (I forget). -r is the present interrogative marker on verbs :D .

Gilto tuaveidar ilbuga kio. 'Ne sa mebeye Romans unor ilbuge lista. Vùnin gueves kehos kio.
I forgot stress can be phonemic :lol: . And I'm learning a Romance language with stress. The mind is a strange thing.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-05-02, 21:54

I think I should get rid of some declensions. Or give the declensions more purpose than just to exist. The -a and -o are like, everyday things and just everything in general. -i/-y is usually for things that are in numbers already (so rice is iccetti when referring to a serving rather than a grain or the plant). And -s/-j is kind of for liquids and similar substances such as gasses and sand. But -e and -n are kinda just there. And even so, -a, -o, -i/y, -s and -j are too much.

Perhaps I should add gender, like an/in with some subtypes for inanimate-with-motion or something. But i don't want gender in Isyan.

I'll try to work it out....

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-05-14, 6:01

I have counted 999 words in the Isyan language excluding a number of possible derivatives and numbers and certain words like "kuorya, kuoryoja, Lonbhi, Lonbheis, etc." (most gerunds are excluded if they don't have any significance, same with the words derived with the -erna suffix to indicate a result/patient.)

I think that's pretty good. Sure, my few beginning conlangs have more, but Isyan is really the only conlang with meaningful words (does that make sense).

Engan bivar nuï; Belan unor bive o vokto uve ine ecio!
A good Engan to you all; the month brings good health and much heat.

Irkan

Postby Irkan » 2015-05-14, 14:57

Koko wrote:I have counted 999 words in the Isyan language

Congratulations! I've never been able to hit 300 in any conlang so I guess that's a pretty nice feat. Keep working!

Mentilliath

Postby Mentilliath » 2015-05-14, 19:47

999--definitely consider that an achievement, Koko. Last time I counted I had around 400 Halvian words (more nouns than verbs).
Primary Conlang: Halvian
Additional conlangs: Hesternese (Aikedenejo), Galsaic (sister language of Halvian), and Ogygian (unrelated to the others.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-05-14, 22:41

Thanks! What's sad is that most of them aren't even the important words required for everyday conversation. So I couldn't even memorize them all and be like, "Yep, I can speak Isyan."

Also, you're welcome >.> Pfft, just ignore my wish.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-05-25, 6:01

Figured out the prefix as- ^^

It's the inchoative marker.

Assijeyan— to fall asleep
Ascutejan— to sweat, simmer
Abbejan— to get (as in "I get it working"; this is used instead of "lescimeyan" [lit. to make become], which doesn't even exist)
Askogejan— to expand (from this, you could get the transitive laskogejan "to expand, stretch" [I stretch this string])
Asselejan— to fall in love
(l)as/annikuejan— to darken

(l(o)- is the causative prefix)

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-05-25, 6:38

I really want to figure out im- and -mejan now :hmm:

Speaking of im-, I think imprajja (imbecile) is just coincidental, like addinejan (to linger, stay [behind]) with as-.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-06-22, 1:23

Neraves purstolaje pros buricejan:
Some interesting vocabulary I thought I'd share:

Asmaïgejan— to make X your [boy/girl]friend
Maïga— [boy/girl]friend

Note: From ma (pet) + aiga (best friend). It becomes maïga, because the separation phonetically lengthens the a. Pet isn't used as in "This is somebody I own and take of," but instead as "somebody I hold a special (mutual) relationship with." In "asmaïgejan," the as- is the inchoative, as I mentioned in the second post above.

Jamemila— confidence
Jammilya— quasi-confidence (kinda confident, like, above 68%)
Jammilar— confident
Jannyar— fairly certain, kinda confident

Note: Jammilyar and jannyar are the diminutive forms of jamemilar and jammilar respectively, using the two processes of elision and palitalization. They can be accompanied by adverbs such as axit (sort of), ijest (over) and instu (under, below), and when in the predicate of a negative sentence (I wasn't kinda-confident), doesn't necesssarily mean you weren't confident.

Jar— different, similar (comparative)

Note: normally, jar is the opposite of cin (as, like, similar), but even in affirmatory statements, it is to be translated as "similar." However, this requires a different noun from the original. For example,

Sogu jar kit, yerku byetsentar kuä.
— Be like the Wolf, so you may become great.

"Be like the Wolf" is really "Be unlike Man." Also, I should note that "the Wolf" refers to Eo, the god of Wolves.

This usage of jar however is generally reserved to proverbs and for speeches. It isn't a productive use in modern/colloquial Isyan.

[also, notice another use of the injunctive. The kuä in that proverb is not only used because of the yer- (then) of "yerku," but because it indicates that the action is out of your control, and will simply happen because you were like the Wolf.]
Last edited by Koko on 2015-06-22, 3:21, edited 1 time in total.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-06-22, 3:07

Titles

Sogni— the general title, similar to san in Japanese, but you can use it to mean whoever it was last used for without any name accompanying it. When talking to somebody who takes this title, you must use it instead of noja in the nominative and accusative/dative (you only use "noja" [the formal pronoun] when there is no adposition and Sogni isn't nom or acc). You would say, "Sogni feve fiarugu" for "I'll bring you your drink."

Rac— this is used with older people, but never with your grandparents. To do so is like saying, "I no longer know you." Watch out though, because some elderly citizens will prefer to go by another title, or none at all. Even though Rac indicates respect, some just don't like it for whatever reason (not because it says they are old, in the Isyan world, age makes no difference to one's self esteem). It's safest to assume you should use this similarly to Sogni, in that it should be used like a pronoun, but this isn't always necessary.

Gej'— this is used with small children (from the word for child geja). Normally, it is really only the vocative for small children "Get back over here" would be "Gej' opu raecuat"), and when used as a title, it has the same effect as in English when you use the child's full name (ex. George Robert Stevenson, you get your butt over and stay away from that kitchen).

Ma— [first usage] Used a title for your pets. I would call my cat Spuky Ma. As you know, ma is the word for pet. Fitting isn't it? Better, you can refer to your pets as Ma and you have the ability of declining the title! :partyhat:

Now, before I get to the last two titles, I have to explain something. When you meet somebody for the first time, you don't ask "Tharga enye kior?" (what is your name?). Instead you ask "Rùnna enye kior?" or more commonly, "Nes rùnnue enyar (noje) thargar?" (What is your common name?).

This is what I was talking about in the Rac section. When you ask "Nes rùnnue enyar thargar?" you will be told which Title the person wishes to be called by. Of course, this title will only be used until you become friends, in which case the title is dropped and you can also begin using the familiar second person form of verbs. Sometimes, there are those who take no title. Other times, you may be given a short form of their name. It all depends on the person to decide how you should talk to them.

Now let's move on:

Ma(n)— [second usage] this is also used by really close friends, but more often than not only selia (a couple; dual of sela) call each other with this title, which they also use like the first usage.

Bha(n)— Short form of the word biva (goodness) [*bivɑ -> *bvɑ -> b̪ɑ.] This is used by really close friends, similar to kun and chan in Japanese. In fact, I don't think there's one difference between them except…

It is rare that one well allow one to use Bha(n) when they first meet. But there are plenty of people who consider everyone a kinesa (friend) and so when asked "Nes rùnnue enye thargar?" they reply, "<Rùnna> Bha(n) se thargi. Ine?" ("You may call me Bha(n) <name>. And I you?")

As to whether you have the -n on Ma or Bha is up to the speaker. Usually, it's used to show respect towards the person, and is heard very commonly with Niaj (good job!).

If any of you would like, my rùnna here shall be Koko Bha ^^

Oh, there's three more titles: Vora, Viya and Veny /vɛɲ/. These are used always for the Vora, Viya and Viyanya respectively.

Titles that come before the name:
Sogni
Vora
Ma
Veny (not often, normally people will say <Viyanya's name> Veny)

That come after:
Rac
Viya
Ma
Bha
Veny

Sometimes Bha may come before the name, but this is even less common than Veny being before.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-06-22, 8:19

Ci soguas nui thargen peo Isyojur scugnavoe, su poese leksimuat ;)
If any of you wants their Isyanized name, just ask.

En nu pegösten vaidaejan kio.
It's for you to pick the title.

(don't have to, I just want to involve you guys in Isya)

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-06-22, 18:21

One more thing I want to talk 'bout (mention):

In colloquial Isyan (but not uncommon even in formal occasions) one may hear a sentence like this:

Hayot hyĵia's es so ecoen.

That 's isn't the any indefinite article, that belongs to -s. Instead, it is a short form of "so" (my).

So the sentence says, "Yesterday my parents came over (to my place)."

It's pronounced as /ʔ(ʊ)s/. The glottal by some speakers lengthens the vowel before it.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-07-13, 8:33

Here is the new and improved alphabet (żothai):

Ż Th A V B K D E F H I L M N G P O R S T [Z] Y U J [Ö Ù]

The only reason ż is officially considered it's own letter is because it has its own in the Isyan żothai, whereas z is technically a ligature of "t" and "s," and so is placed in the t section of dictionaries. Even though they have their own letters, ö and ù are always placed at the end of o and u sections of dictionaries. This is really only because there's not a lot of words beginning with either.

Again, now that I revised the alphabet, I wonder if I should bring "x" back :hmm: . I miss that little fellow. At least I have him in Sambrata ^^

Note: geminated ż is transliterated as żz, since the cluster */t͡ʃt͡s/ isn't allowed. However, do not get this confused for zż, since /t͡st͡ʃ/ is a perfectly acceptable cluster. Compare iżzetti /ɪt͡ʃˈt͡ʃɛtːi/ (rice) and izżetti /ɪt͡sˈt͡ʃɛtːi/ (brief). For this reason, though, some will use <żż> instead of <żz>.

Geminate z is <zz>. When you see <tz> you say the t separate from the affricate. Likewise, <ts> is not an affricate and the two are separate. Compare kotsa /kotˈsɑ/ (an Isyan hymn) versus koza /koˈt͡sɑ/ (brief moment) versus kotza /kotˈt͡sɑ/ (colour). (/t͡ss/ is also contrastive)

Pasie

Postby Pasie » 2015-08-21, 23:37

I really like your conlang! Do you know it well enough to translate these next sentences? *mischevious face*
You are a one-eyed duck standing on the wing of a plane.
The big fluffy bunny was purple.
My friend knows this guy, who's dog met another dog, who's owner is cousins with some guy, who's father knows a celebrity.

(In case you're wondering, these are the sentences I use to confuse people when they annoy me :D)

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-08-22, 0:26

Pasie wrote:I really like your conlang!

Ooh, grazie! :mrgreen:

Do you know it well enough to translate these next sentences? *mischevious face*

Will try…

You are a one-eyed duck standing on the wing of a plane.— Sib kua paitnaes yfflude[*] ney moraje.
The big fluffy bunny was purple.— Żopenar oadlunyan pefrear koe.
My friend knows this guy, who's dog met another dog, who's owner is cousins with some guy, who's father knows a celebrity.— Żaunio kinesa so tel kuppe hiena vo hiene öjoyar imploe sogua vo kio hathue tel kuppos va soju żauneviantage żaunio.

Do you want ipa? And probably best not to use the Isyan for the latter :lol:

(In case you're wondering, these are the sentences I use to confuse people when they annoy me :D)

:P Noice.

[*] Isya has no planes, so I used the word for "carriage" instead: "You are a duck standing on top of a carriage."

Pasie

Postby Pasie » 2015-08-22, 1:12

Do you want ipa?

Yes please! :D :D :D :D :D

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-08-22, 2:18

You are a one-eyed duck standing on the wing of a plane.— Sib kua paitnaes yfflude[*] ney moraje.
[sɪb ˈkʰwɑ pʰaɪ̯tˈnɑːɛs ifˈflude nej ˈmorɑʒe]

[t͡ʃoˈpʰɛːnɑr wɑdˈluːɲɑn pɛˈfreːɑr kwe]

My friend knows this guy, who's dog met another dog, who's owner is cousins with some guy, who's father knows a celebrity.— Żaunio kinesa so tel kuppe hiena vo hiene öjoyar imploe sogua vo kio hathue tel kuppos va soju żauneviantage żaunio.
[ˈt͡ʃaʊ̯nio kiˈnesɑ so tɛlˈʰuppe hiˈɛːnɑ vo hiˈɛːne øˈd͡ʒoˑjɑr ˈʔɪmplwe soˈgwɑː vo ˌkio hɑˈðweː tɛlˈkʰuppos vɑ soˈʒuː t͡ʃaʊ̯ˈnɛviɑntɑge ˈt͡ʃaʊ̯nio]

Lucky there was no [b̪] :lol:

Pasie

Postby Pasie » 2015-08-22, 22:28

Koko wrote:You are a one-eyed duck standing on the wing of a plane.— Sib kua paitnaes yfflude[*] ney moraje.
[sɪb ˈkʰwɑ pʰaɪ̯tˈnɑːɛs ifˈflude nej ˈmorɑʒe]

[t͡ʃoˈpʰɛːnɑr wɑdˈluːɲɑn pɛˈfreːɑr kwe]

[ˈt͡ʃaʊ̯nio kiˈnesɑ so tɛlˈʰuppe hiˈɛːnɑ vo hiˈɛːne øˈd͡ʒoˑjɑr ˈʔɪmplwe soˈgwɑː vo ˌkio hɑˈðweː tɛlˈkʰuppos vɑ soˈʒuː t͡ʃaʊ̯ˈnɛviɑntɑge ˈt͡ʃaʊ̯nio]

Lucky there was no [b̪] :lol:

THANKS! :D

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-08-22, 22:38

No problem!

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-09-04, 0:56

I've just created the two best words ever!

imejan— to be yes
imaje— yes (adj)

From these come the direct opposites daimejan (to be no) and daimaje (no (adj)).

These words are yes! Nerav piesav imijo!
This chocolate is 100% yes. Piesa, duntauvan hes-ko-hes magastu imio. (lit. This, the chocolate is excessively 100 out of 100 yes); that is to say, "Damn, this chocolate de-frickin'-lish!"
Imma be honest witchu; your outfit is no. S'ku reu unnu: nua pios maukev daimua. (Imma be honest witchu; you dressed in that is no.) [s'= I; ku= (I) will be; reu= truthful(ly), honest(ly), truly; un-= short form of with; nu= 2-sg.dat]
Why is Allos eating at that no restaurant? Ema Allos es orsammue pios daimaje oresior? (no= bad [horrible service/food/whatever])

Return to “Conlangs”