Pronunciation of <Q> in conlangs

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators:Ashucky, Dormouse559

Mentilliath
Re: Pronunciation of <Q> in conlangs

Postby Mentilliath » 2016-07-03, 16:52

The only reason I use <q> in Halvian is because I like the look of <qu> better than any alternative to represent the labialized velar stop. <q> alone might be more accurate, since in the Halvian alphabet, the labiovelar stop is represented by one letter, but <qu> looks better than <q> on its own for that sound (I'm okay with <q> on its own to represent, you know, /q/...)
Primary Conlang: Halvian
Additional conlangs: Hesternese (Aikedenejo), Galsaic (sister language of Halvian), and Ogygian (unrelated to the others.

Cubix

Postby Cubix » 2016-07-03, 21:11

linguoboy wrote:
Cubix wrote:Yeah, you're right. But it doesn't matter, for now this letter is only used in two words : equs (horse) and aquag (water).

Even more reason to get rid of it.

Why would I ? I use it for words I borrowed from Latin. This letter is very common in this language so I'll use it a lot when I'll create the entire lexicon (for now, it only has 300 words).
Langue maternelle : [flag=]fr[/flag]
Fluently spoken : [flag=]en[/flag]
Ich kann ein bisschen sprechen : [flag=]de[/flag]
Kaj esperanto mojosas ! [flag=]eo[/flag]
Et ju posam strugisa lingo : Bonestalingu. And I have a conlang : Bonestalingu.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2016-07-05, 3:21

Cubix wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
Cubix wrote:Yeah, you're right. But it doesn't matter, for now this letter is only used in two words : equs (horse) and aquag (water).

Even more reason to get rid of it.

Why would I ? I use it for words I borrowed from Latin. This letter is very common in this language so I'll use it a lot when I'll create the entire lexicon (for now, it only has 300 words).

And these are pronounced /exus/ and /axwag/? (Or do the other letters in those words have similarly quirky values?)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Cubix

Postby Cubix » 2016-07-06, 18:49

Yes, they are pronounced exactly like that. Why ?
Langue maternelle : [flag=]fr[/flag]
Fluently spoken : [flag=]en[/flag]
Ich kann ein bisschen sprechen : [flag=]de[/flag]
Kaj esperanto mojosas ! [flag=]eo[/flag]
Et ju posam strugisa lingo : Bonestalingu. And I have a conlang : Bonestalingu.

Llawygath

Postby Llawygath » 2016-07-23, 5:59

The proto-language I'm constructing has <q> for /ɟ/ (as a convenience, since its speakers didn't have a written form), but that phoneme will be eliminated through sound changes, and I doubt any of the descendant languages will use <q>. Tikolmian used it for /k/ and /kw/ because it was a ripoff of Viozian. Leafoosish used <q> and <qu> for /k/ back when it was basically French with an Irish-looking orthography, but it was dropped later. Fooblian used it for /ʁ/. I might also have used it in the short-lived and barely-developed "Renyguvaev" where every letter represented its IPA value (so it would have been /q/), but I can't recall the exact details. (Renyguvaev was "really" written in the Phoenician script, however.)

Thon

Postby Thon » 2016-11-05, 10:37

An Bhlaoighne uses <q> for /tɬ/ and <x> for /ɬ/ (dunno why, i just felt like it)

Vlürch

Postby Vlürch » 2016-11-14, 9:56

Well, if every language with Q in its alphabet had the same sound associated with that letter, it should be /ʀ͡ʙʛ̚ːɓ̪͡ʙ̪ˤq͡χʷˤʼ/ because nobody can pronounce that shit.

Atluk

Postby Atluk » 2016-11-24, 3:45

/q/ is one of my favorite phonemes, visually. Unfortunately, I haven't found room for it in my conlang.

The closest thing the language has to a [k] is [c], and I just feel that it is more appropriate to use a /k/ instead of /q/.

Return to “Conlangs”