Celestial Laefêvëši

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators:Ashucky, Dormouse559

Ashucky
Re: Celestial Laefêvëši

Postby Ashucky » 2013-06-19, 12:29

I finally decided to update and revise my very first conscript I made back then when I started conlanging. The script was created to write my first conlang, which has now transformed into Celestial Laefêvëši, but since the conlang changed so quickly, the script became useless and I never bothered to update it. The script was inspired and influenced by Latin, Greek, Georgian (Mkhedruli), and even Arabic.

What do you guys think? Here are two pages of the script (the language used is Laefêvëši, of course):
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slovenščina (sl)English (en)Italiano (it)漢語 (zh)Español (es)Suomi (fi)Svenska (sv)日本語 (ja)فارسی (fa)Nešili (hit)
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
Največji sovražnik znanja ni nevednost, marveč iluzija znanja.

Irkan

Postby Irkan » 2013-06-19, 14:59

Looks great, do you have any ortography VS pronunciation chart?

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2013-06-19, 18:34

Irkan wrote:Looks great, do you have any ortography VS pronunciation chart?
Yeah, I have. Well, kind of, I have a romanisation vs. script chart. See the picture below. The letters in brackets are long consonants, and the right-most column includes various ligatures and such (the number of ligatures will probably increase).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slovenščina (sl)English (en)Italiano (it)漢語 (zh)Español (es)Suomi (fi)Svenska (sv)日本語 (ja)فارسی (fa)Nešili (hit)
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Irkan

Postby Irkan » 2013-06-19, 21:10

Ialla pól siýttada. Sa "w" skøílloistasa "p" my vánšide.
I love this alphabet. Your "w" reminds me (makes me remember) of th "p" of my language.

PD: Olilowiki stopped working, that's why I couldn't translate the "my" and probably got the -de ending wrong.

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2013-06-20, 0:04

Yes, I know, Olilowiki goes down way too often, and it usually happens when someone really needs it. I'm thinking of making a copy of the pages on FrathWiki, it's a bit more stable. Oh, and you got the -de suffix right. :)

Irkan wrote:Ialla pól siýttada. Sa "w" skøílloistasa "p" my vánšide.
I love this alphabet. Your "w" reminds me (makes me remember) of th "p" of my language.
Náj! Póli sánslás siénd, á-te tánnaih, í-te zánna. :)
Thanks! That's the only script I (which) made that I like.

Great work with using the causative there, btw! I know the dictionary only includes the reflexive versions of the verb, but if you change skøílaej to skøílaj, you make it non-reflexive and that verb would also mean "to remind". But your solution with the causative works as well. :) Actually, I haven't considered to use it that way, so thanks for pointing it out :D

A correct version of your sentence: Iálla péi siýttada. Séiri* "w" skøíllojstasa p-ra sjóvvánšide.
*adjectival personal pronouns

Irkan

Postby Irkan » 2013-06-20, 7:06

Ashucky wrote:Yes, I know, Olilowiki goes down way too often, and it usually happens when someone really needs it. I'm thinking of making a copy of the pages on FrathWiki, it's a bit more stable. Oh, and you got the -de suffix right. :)

Yay! I'm starting to remember some cases! :D

Ashucky wrote:Great work with using the causative there, btw! I know the dictionary only includes the reflexive versions of the verb, but if you change skøílaej to skøílaj, you make it non-reflexive and that verb would also mean "to remind". But your solution with the causative works as well. :) Actually, I haven't considered to use it that way, so thanks for pointing it out :D

Haha, cool 8-) Though it took me forever to construct that causative hahahaha :roll:

Ashucky wrote:A correct version of your sentence: Iálla péi siýttada. Séiri* "w" skøíllojstasa p-ra sjóvvánšide.

I think I'm improving a bit! :P

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2013-06-21, 21:40

The site still seems to be offline ... or maybe that's just me. I'm waiting for it to come back online so I'll be able to copy at least Celstial Laefêvëši to FrathWiki.

Irkan wrote:Haha, cool 8-) Though it took me forever to construct that causative hahahaha :roll:
Hehe, yeah, the causatives aren't exactly the easiest, especially since the verb has to agree with both the agent and the object ... So, grats for doing it right! :)

Irkan wrote:
Ashucky wrote:A correct version of your sentence: Iálla péi siýttada. Séiri* "w" skøíllojstasa p-ra sjóvvánšide.
I think I'm improving a bit! :P
Definitely! :)

razlem

Postby razlem » 2013-06-24, 23:36

Ashucky wrote:The site still seems to be offline ... or maybe that's just me. I'm waiting for it to come back online so I'll be able to copy at least Celstial Laefêvëši to FrathWiki.

Frathwiki is always really slow for me; it often takes 4-5 seconds to load a page.
American English (en-us)::German (de)::Standard Spanish (es) Swedish (sv) Mandarin (zh)::Choctaw (cho) Finnish (fi) Irish (ir) Arabic (ar)
Image wia wi nehas-kolwatos lae angos! Check out my IAL Angos
Image Contributor to the Houma Language Project
I have a YouTube channel! I talk about languages and stuff: Ben DuMonde

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2013-06-25, 21:50

razlem wrote:
Ashucky wrote:The site still seems to be offline ... or maybe that's just me. I'm waiting for it to come back online so I'll be able to copy at least Celstial Laefêvëši to FrathWiki.

Frathwiki is always really slow for me; it often takes 4-5 seconds to load a page.
Still better than not loading at all, though. I dislike Wikia0s layout ... maybe Wikispaces?

razlem

Postby razlem » 2013-06-26, 23:24

Wikispaces has a pretty free setup. Plus you can add widgets for videos, feeds, etc, which I find very handy :)
American English (en-us)::German (de)::Standard Spanish (es) Swedish (sv) Mandarin (zh)::Choctaw (cho) Finnish (fi) Irish (ir) Arabic (ar)
Image wia wi nehas-kolwatos lae angos! Check out my IAL Angos
Image Contributor to the Houma Language Project
I have a YouTube channel! I talk about languages and stuff: Ben DuMonde

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2013-07-19, 22:53

razlem wrote:Wikispaces has a pretty free setup. Plus you can add widgets for videos, feeds, etc, which I find very handy :)
Really need to put up some lessons or something ... but that will take some time.

In other news, I've finally started working on a reference grammar for the language, yay! :D It's going to take ages before it finished but it needs to be done, for my sake and for the sake of anyone who might be interested in the language. For now, I've done nominal morphology only. I'd love to get some feedback on it from everyone here :)

Here's the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/duoj9vw3feizb81/A%20Short%20Reference%20Grammar%20of%20Laefevesi%20-%20part%201.pdf

Much appreciated, thanks! :)

Irkan

Postby Irkan » 2013-09-09, 21:15

Ashucky wrote:In other news, I've finally started working on a reference grammar for the language, yay! :D It's going to take ages before it finished but it needs to be done, for my sake and for the sake of anyone who might be interested in the language. For now, I've done nominal morphology only. I'd love to get some feedback on it from everyone here :)

Here's the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/duoj9vw3feizb81/A%20Short%20Reference%20Grammar%20of%20Laefevesi%20-%20part%201.pdf

Much appreciated, thanks! :)
I couldn't read it all (though I'll read the rest soon for sure), but I think it is way more complete than what was in Olilowiki (However you spell that). I'm really looking forward to seeing the verbs' part.

Edit: I've already read it all now and I think the feeling is the same I had yesterday. Good job with the "guide", it covers much more than what I remember from the site.

Ahzoh

Postby Ahzoh » 2013-09-13, 3:26

Interesting, so you plan on making people speak this...?
Although the numerous diacritics might make it hard to read, I know I do.
A native of [flag=]en-CA[/flag]
Conlang: Image
Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.46

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2013-09-13, 19:54

Ahzoh wrote:Interesting, so you plan on making people speak this...?
Although the numerous diacritics might make it hard to read, I know I do.
Not really, I doubt too many people would want to learn it. :) I mean, the language is fully usable, it's only lacking in vocabulary a bit, so if anyone wants to learn it, they're more than welcome to do so. And the diacritics are all there for a reason. Some of them could be omitted but only once you know the language.

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2014-03-30, 22:41

Wow, it's been ages since my last post here :D

Anyway, I think I've pretty much finished the second part of my reference grammar: it now includes most of nominal morphology and numerals (the new part, pages 31-45). I've uploaded it on Dropbox so if anyone's interested, you can check it out here.

I think the next part will be either adjectives or pronouns. And I think I should include some sample text(s) at the end as well, with glosses, of course.

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2015-03-13, 1:23

So, I've been working on some historical phonology of Laefêvëši. It's supposed to give me Old Laefêvëši (maybe Middle too?) and also a proto-language from which I may derive sister languages. Here's a few tentative reconstructions:

línd "mountain" < *lĭnd < *līndi < *lijndi < *lijnde < *lʉginde < *lʉginde < *lʉgn̥de < *lʉgn̥əde

línt "spruce" < *lĭnt < *līnti < *lijnti < *lijnte < *liginte < *liginte < *lign̥te < *lign̥əte

álj "wind" < *halji < *hālji < *hawlji < *hawlɨje < *hagulɨde < *hegulɨde

áik "horse" < *ăik < *hāhiki < *hawhiki < *hawhike < *haguhikhe < *heguhikəhe

ugój "together" < *ugŏj < *vugōj < *vugowjɨ < *bugowgi < *bukogu-ghi < *bukogu-gəhi

There might still be a few issues but it's looking pretty stable.

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2015-03-29, 12:51

As part of a collaborative conworling project, I use Laefêvëši as one of the languages spoken there, in a country called Laefevia. It has no relation to my actual conworld, but it's fun to be part of a collaborative project. Anyways, as countries go, I made a Laefevian ID card:

Obverse:

Reverse:

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2015-04-26, 1:21

I've got an update regarding my conscript! I have finally decided what my numbers are going to be!

Here they are, numbers 0-9 in the Laefevian script:
The numbers 1-4 can all be written with or without the stroke, but 1-2 are preferred without while 3-4 with.

On a similar note, I've also added three new ligatures to the script (well, just the font):
(first row - Latin transliteration, second row - font code points (ignore it), third row - lowercase ligatures (light grey - separate letters), fourth row - uppercase ligatures (light grey - separate letters)

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2015-08-25, 10:31

Not exactly language related but I made a Laefêvëši number plate (as part of a project on CWS).

The number plate reads: "rr <coat> sol-7sk3" (indicating it's from Irrésken Province, Solténna prefecture). The white letters on the left read "lf".

And I also have an actual printed version (thanks to my bf who printed it). It's on metal, so it's a real thing. I could put it on a car :D

Irkan

Postby Irkan » 2015-08-25, 16:47

Ashucky wrote:And I also have an actual printed version (thanks to my bf who printed it). It's on metal, so it's a real thing. I could put it on a car :D

What a great way of commiting a crime. Or should I say con-miting?

Regardless of the bad pun, it looks really cool. It would look awesome on a car :roll:

Return to “Conlangs”