Celestial Laefêvëši

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators:Ashucky, Dormouse559

Ashucky
Celestial Laefêvëši

Postby Ashucky » 2012-07-13, 0:40

Recently I've been thinking that Laefêvëši in its current form doesn't fit with its own conculture anymore, and I feel it needs to be restructured appropriately. I'm calling this new version Ascended Laefêvëši for the time being (abbreviated to Alaef, as opposed to just Laef). I figured I should change both the phonology and the orthography a bit, and several grammar changes.

I made this thread just to keep up with all the changes I'll be making. Everyone is welcome to comment on and give me question regarding whatever I write here. It'll help me fix any possible gaps I make. :)

So anyway, phonology and orthography first.

Vowels come in stressed and unstressed or short and long pairs. The table below shows sound changes (the New change column) and possible orthographic changes.
SoundDefault letterOther letterNew changeNotes
iiü (orig. /ɯ/)ī (orig. /ɪ/)possibly replacing both ü and ī with i
i:íű (orig. /ɯ:/)î (orig. /ɪ:/)possibly replacing both ű and î with í; maybe changing /ɪ:/ into a diphthong in certain positions
uuū (orig. /ʊ/)possibly replacing ū with u
u:úû (orig. /ʊ:/)possibly replacing û with ú; maybe changing /ʊ:/ into a diphthong in certain positions
øøö (orig. /œ/)possibly replacing ö with ø
ø:ǿő (orig. /œ:/)possibly replacing ő with ǿ
aaā (orig. /ʌ/)possibly replacing ā with a
a:áâ (orig. /ʌ:/)possibly replacing â with á; maybe changing /ʌ:/ into a diphthong in certain positions

So the new vowel system would be:
/i/ <i ü ī>/i:/ <í ű î>/y/ <y>/y:/ <ý>/u/ <u ū>/u:/ <u û>
/e/ <e>/e:/ <é>/ø/ <ø ö>/ø:/ <ǿ ő>/o/ <o>/o:/ <ó>
/ə/ <ë>/ə:/ <ä>
/ɛ/ <ē>/ɛ:/ <ê>/ɔ/ <ō>/ɔ:/ <ô>
/a/ <a ā>/a:/ <á â>

And now consonants:
SoundDefault letterOther letterNew changeNotes
pppħ (orig. /pʰ/)possibly replacing pħ with p or pp /p:/ in certain positions
tttħ (orig. /tʰ/)possibly replacing tħ with t or tt /t:/ in certain positions
kkkħ (orig. /kʰ/)possibly replacing kħ with k or kk /k:/ in certain positions
ʃšś (orig. /ɕ/)possibly replacing ś with š
ʒžź (orig. /ʑ/)possibly replacing ź with ž
ʦccħ (orig. /ʦʰ/)possibly replacing cħ with c
ʧčć (orig. /ʨ/)čħ (orig. /ʧʰ/); ćħ (orig. /ʧʰ/ from /ʨʰ/)possibly replacing ć, ćħ and čħ with č
ʥȝǯ (orig. /ʤ/)possibly replacing ȝ with ǯ (still pronounced /ʥ/)
jjŗ (orig. /ɹ/)possibly replacing ŗ with j

The new consonant system would be (can't be arsed to make another friggin' table):
/m m: n n: ɲ ŋ/
<m mm n nn nj ŋ>

/p p: b b: t t: d d: k k: g g:/
<p/ pp b bb t/ tt d dd k/ kk g gg/

/f f: v v: θ θ: ð ð: s s: z z: ʃ ʒ x ɣ/
<f ff v vv þ þþ ð ðð s ss z zz š/ś ž/ź h x>

/ʦ ʣ ʧ ʥ/
<c/ ʒ č/ć/čħ/ćħ ȝ/ǯ>

/j w r ɾ l l: ʎ/
<j/ŗ w rr r l ll lj>

This is what I have for now. I think most of the changes are pretty straightforward. Oh, I didn't include any diphthongs in the vowel syste since I've never actually counted how many I have (but technically every combination is possible - aka /iV/, /uV/, /Vi/ /Vu/; I've never written down the legal/illegal combinations). Also, Laefêvëši has a tonal vowel, ă (falling-rising tone) but in Ascended Laefêvëši it'd also be replaced by non-tonal a /a/ or á /a:/.

Need to think this through ...
Last edited by Ashucky on 2012-08-07, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
Slovenščina (sl)English (en)Italiano (it)漢語 (zh)Español (es)Suomi (fi)Svenska (sv)日本語 (ja)فارسی (fa)Nešili (hit)
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
Največji sovražnik znanja ni nevednost, marveč iluzija znanja.

Ashucky

Re: Ascended Laefêvëši

Postby Ashucky » 2012-07-20, 16:39

Ok, so I've decided on the phonology and orthography of Ascended Laefêvëši.

Phonetic changes:
/ɪ/ → /i/
/ɪ:/ → /ei/
/ʊ/ → /u/
/ʊ:/ → /ui/
/ʌ/ → /a/
/ʌ:/ → /au/
/pʰ/ → /p/ (word-initially, preceded by a consonant)
/pʰ/ → /xp/ (intervocally)
the same applies for /tʰ kʰ ʦʰ ʧʰ/

Orthographic changes:
ü → i /i/
ű → í /i:/
ö → ø /ø/
ő → ǿ /ø:/
ī → i /i/
ū → u /u/
ā → a /a/
â → áu or â (/ʌ:/ → /au/)
î → éi or î (/ɪ:/ → /ei/)
û → úi or û (/ʊ:/ → /ui/)
ă → á
ä → ĕ
pħ → p or hp
tħ → t or ht
kħ → k or hk
cħ → c or hc
čħ → č or hč
ćħ → č or hč
ȝ → ǯ
ŗ → j

The alphabet is now as follows: Aa, Áá, Ââ, Ææ, Bb, Cc, Ʒʒ, Čč, Ǯǯ, Dd, Ee, Éé, Ēē, Êê, Ëë, Ĕĕ, Ff, Gg, Xx, Hh, Ii, Íí, Îî, Jj, Kk, Ll, Mm, Nn, Ŋŋ, Oo, Óó, Ōō, Ôô, Øø, Ǿǿ, Œœ, Pp, Rr, Ss, Þþ, Šš, Tt, Uu, Úú, Ûû, Vv, Ww, Yy, Ýý, Zz, Ðð, Žž

This should be it for now ... moving on to the grammar now.
Slovenščina (sl)English (en)Italiano (it)漢語 (zh)Español (es)Suomi (fi)Svenska (sv)日本語 (ja)فارسی (fa)Nešili (hit)
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2012-07-20, 22:24

Working on my nouns now. And I don't really know what to do.

I want to have all of the most frequent prepositions suffixed to the noun. But the problem is that would create a whole bunch of new cases (next to those I already have) and I don't really want to end up with 40-odd cases. I could also just say that prepositions are suffixed to the noun, which would reduce the total number of cases.

What do you guys think the best option would be here?

hashi

Postby hashi » 2012-07-21, 1:01

You could do what Estonian does. While it is said to have 14 cases, I don't feel comfortable saying so. This is because the prepositional cases are just a suffix added to the genitive stem of the noun.

For example:
inimene (person)
inimese (person.GEN)
inimesel - inimese +l (person.ADE - person.GEN + ADE)
inimeses - inimese +s (person.INE - person.GEN +INE)

Perhaps you could do something similar? This way rather than having a whole new set of declensions for each of the prepositional cases, there would just be the rules for the genitive, then with a prepositional suffix added.
(en-nz)(ja)(sv)(it)(mi)(et)

Sono ancora qui (a volte), ma probabilmente non ti voglio parlare.

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2012-07-21, 16:40

Yeah, that's a good idea and it's what I had in mind as well. I see those cases as more or less just prepositions attached to the noun. So I've increased the number of cases but they most of them can be regarded simply as prepositions suffixed to the noun.

There's a total of (hold your breath) 32 cases. Although I'm not sure two of them should even be called cases. Anywho, following the pattern I used in Classical Laefêvëši (the new name of the conlang's version i've used up till now), the case system in Ascended Laefêvëši is divided into 3 types of cases: main or basic cases, subcases, and additional cases. I call the system case hierarchy. It basically means that the subcases can be replaced with main cases using proper prepositions; each of the main cases ('cept nominative) has a set of subcases - these are the cases that are essentially prepositions attached to the noun. So if you don't want to use a subcase, you can substitute it with the appropriate preposition and the appropriate main case. I hope this makes sense. :para:

The system:
Nominative
Genitive: terminative, egressive, elative, delative, abessive, essive (time)
Dative: lative, orientative
Accusative: benefactive, illative, sublative, allative, ablative, prosecutive, vialis
Locative: superessive, inessive, adessive, apudessive, perlative, temporal (time), postessive (time)
Instrumental: inst-comitative, antessive (time)
Vocative
Partitive
Negative partitive
Equative
Semblative
Amarative*
Miristive*

(bold = main cases, normal = subcases, bold and italics = additional cases, asterisk (*) = not sure if those should be counted as cases)

An example:
Case:SingularDualPluralSingularDualPlural
Nominative:kâlkâliekâla(tree)
Genitive:kâlaukâliaukâlas
Elative:kâlat /
kâllu
kâliatkâlastajt kâlauajt kâliauajt kâlas(out of the tree)
Delative:kâlon /
kâlloi
kâlionkâlansdø kâlaudø kâliaudø kâlas(off the tree)
Dative:kâliukâliuekâlis
Lative:kâlik /
kâllui
kâliakkâlaskče kâliuče kâliueče kâlis(to the tree)
Orientative:kâliš /
kâllyi
kâliaškâlaškej kâliuej kâliueej kâlis(towards the tree)

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2012-08-01, 20:03

Slight update: there are 33 cases (I added translative) but most of them can actually be replaced by prepositions so in the end you can end up with 6 cases only :). There are no genders anymore - this simplified a lot of things: adjectives now agree with the noun only in number and case, pronouns don't distinguish between genders either, only 3rd person singular has a special pronoun for "it" in nominative but it's not necessary to use it. I kept clusivity in 1st and 2nd person dual and plural; and I added a 4th person for all three numbers (aka obviative 3rd person), and I also introduced a reciprocal pronoun (which, just like the reflexive pronoun, doesn't distinguish between numbers). Apart from that, all other substantival and adjectival pronouns stay the same (as types not as forms, I've changed them). There were a few slight changes regarding numerals but nothing really major.

And now I'm dealing with verbs, this is gonna be the hardest part it seems. I finished the conjugational patterns in the indicative but I'm now struggling with other moods. I want to keep the suffixes short and simple while retaining formation by a simple analogy. And I still don't know how I'm going to do it.

Oh, while revising everything, I've decided to set some phonology rules regarding legal consonant clusters (that may not even be the final verson, I still kinda dislike some of them).

Oh, I also have some alternatives in the orthography (this is mainly just cos I like those letters):
* <ʒ> can be replaced by <dz> (pronounced /d͡z/)
* <ǯ> can be replaced by <dž> or <ƹ> (pronounced /d͡ʑ/)
* <w> can be replaced by <ƿ> (pronounced /w/)
* <x> can be replaced by <ȝ> (pronounced /ɣ/)
* <ae> can be replaced by <æ> (pronounced /a.e/)
* <oe> can be replaced by <œ> (pronounced /o.e/)

I'm now ponding how to include hwair (Ƕƕ). I was thinking it could be pronounced as [xʋ] or [xw] or [xʷ]. This is also just cos I like the letter. :mrgreen:

razlem

Postby razlem » 2012-08-03, 21:50

Ashucky wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, guys. :) But I'm still testing out Adobe Premiere Pro and it's looking really nice, it allows me several text boxes (well, as many as I want, actually) and selective colouring, so I think I'll be using that from now on. Here's an image from the video.

I really like that picture; definitely post the video here when it's done :D
American English (en-us)::German (de)::Standard Spanish (es) Swedish (sv) Mandarin (zh)::Choctaw (cho) Finnish (fi) Irish (ir) Arabic (ar)
Image wia wi nehas-kolwatos lae angos! Check out my IAL Angos
Image Contributor to the Houma Language Project
I have a YouTube channel! I talk about languages and stuff: Ben DuMonde

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2012-08-03, 22:36

Oh, I finally decided what to call the language in the language itself: Þeilaefêvëši (means Ascended Laefêvëši) or Orlaefêvëši (means Celestial Laefêvëši). But those are long names, I now need a shortened version of that xD Þaefêvëši and Oraefêvëši, maybe?

Ashucky

Re: Celestial Laefêvëši

Postby Ashucky » 2012-08-07, 22:25

Ok, anyway, scrap those names, I don't particularly like them. :D

Also, the new official name of the language is now Celestial Laefêvëši and Ascended Laefêvëši is the alternative. I think Celestial sounds better than Ascended.

And I have finally finished my very first lang video ever! :D Here it is, an introduction to Celestial Laefêvëši:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPuujTQoiWw

What do you guys think? Any comments/feedback much appreciated. :)

razlem

Postby razlem » 2012-08-07, 22:41

Looks great! And the music fits the new name very well ;)

I'm definitely interested in hearing an audio sample :mrgreen:
American English (en-us)::German (de)::Standard Spanish (es) Swedish (sv) Mandarin (zh)::Choctaw (cho) Finnish (fi) Irish (ir) Arabic (ar)
Image wia wi nehas-kolwatos lae angos! Check out my IAL Angos
Image Contributor to the Houma Language Project
I have a YouTube channel! I talk about languages and stuff: Ben DuMonde

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2012-08-08, 3:14

Thanks. :)

And an audio sample might come soon, although I don't know when or if there will be a lesson 1 (I've no idea how to make it :P).

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2012-09-06, 0:39

So, I was bored and I made a basic introduction dialogue ... I think I'll also use it in my next video (with audio) :)

Dóno!
Hello!

Jên! Váján?
Hi! How are you?

O áojnáh, l-é?
I'm fine, and you?
PART fine-am, and you?

O ât áojn.
Fine, too.
PART also fine.

Váj náittanne?
What's your name?
How do you call yourself?

Náittare Ánsy. Il é?
I'm Ánsy. And you?
I call myself Ánsy. And you?

I Delléláh. Fóuttait se, ve sýttas.
I'm Dellé. Nice to meet you.
PART Dellé-am. Having met you, pleases me.

Vétei.
The same.
[It pleases] me as well.

Néajn éttarne!
Have a nice day!
Great have-yourself!

Taj, étei. Lálleri!
Thanks, you too. See you!
Yes, you too. [Let's] see each other!

Jên jên!
Bye!

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2012-09-06, 17:34

Still waiting for a longer text to give a good feeling of what it sounds like. :wink:

language learner

Postby language learner » 2012-09-06, 17:47

Why does it remind me the kitchen sink? Large phonology, large morphology.... :para:

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2012-09-06, 18:52

I've always felt that Ashucky's managed to avoid kitchen-sink status with Laefêvëši. It doesn't seem like a random hodgepodge of features. The phonology is large, but balanced, and this version actually loses some phonemes. The orthography choices are logical, with no diacritic or letter seeming gratuitous. And while the morphology is intimidating, Ashucky's made a conscious choice to have it that complex, aware of how extreme it is.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2012-09-08, 1:57

melan wrote:Still waiting for a longer text to give a good feeling of what it sounds like. :wink:

I'll do a recording of the above dialogue for you ;)

имен wrote:Why does it remind me the kitchen sink? Large phonology, large morphology.... :para:

Difference in our views on the matter 8-)

Dormouse559 wrote:I've always felt that Ashucky's managed to avoid kitchen-sink status with Laefêvëši. It doesn't seem like a random hodgepodge of features. The phonology is large, but balanced, and this version actually loses some phonemes. The orthography choices are logical, with no diacritic or letter seeming gratuitous. And while the morphology is intimidating, Ashucky's made a conscious choice to have it that complex, aware of how extreme it is.

Thanks. :) And yeah, the new version is slightly improved from the previous one; I reduced the phonology a little but I kept several letters due to etymologial reasons. The morphology is quite extensive but I tried to keep it at a reasonable level, with simpler alternatives possible.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2012-09-08, 7:16

Etymologically justified orthographic depth is cool (regardless of how nerdy that just sounded 8-) ). It adds some authenticity to a language's script. Plus, it may make for some interesting tongue twisters. :P

[flag]fr[/flag]
Si six cent six scies scient six cigares, six scies scient six cent six cigares.
/si si sɑ̃ si si si si sigaʁ si si si si sɑ̃ si sigaʁ/
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2012-09-15, 21:57

Dormouse559 wrote:Etymologically justified orthographic depth is cool (regardless of how nerdy that just sounded 8-) ). It adds some authenticity to a language's script. Plus, it may make for some interesting tongue twisters. :P

[flag]fr[/flag]
Si six cent six scies scient six cigares, six scies scient six cent six cigares.
/si si sɑ̃ si si si si sigaʁ si si si si sɑ̃ si sigaʁ/

Indeed, although I'm not much of a fan of such orthographies, at least if they reach the level of French or English spelling. :P

I currently have just one homophonic pair like that: kâl - tree, and kául - drawing.

And then you can get this:
Kâlli káulli. [ˈkau̯lːi ˈkau̯lːi] - On the tree on the drawing.
Káulli kâlli. [ˈkau̯lːi ˈkau̯lːi] - On the drawing on the tree.

Ok, it's not a big deal but it's something :D

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2013-01-08, 22:10

I've decided to make things a bit more interesting in Laefêvëši so I created a few phonetic changes. I call them "ongoing phonetic changes" since they're currently happening in the language (apart from the standard changes, like word-final devoicing of some consonants) and a word can be pronounced either according to the standard rules or according to the new changes, either works. This may also give me some interesting homophones. I may also apply some additional rules as to when/where a particular change occurs. For now, they're all in free variation (unless otherwise stated).

Vowels:
- all primary stressed long vowels can be shortened (may become a standard change)
- /ə:/ is virtually always pronounced as short [ə], regardless of the surrounding sounds or stress (may become a standard change, too)
- /ɛ/ and /ɛ:/ are often lowered to [æ] and [æ:]
- similarly, /ɔ/ and /ɔ:/ can be lowered to [ɒ] and [ɒ:]
- the vowels /e/, /ø/ and /o/ can be lowered to [ɛ], [œ] and [ɔ] in unstressed positions

Consonants:
- /v/ is pronounced as [ʋ] (a standard change)
- /ɲ/ and /ʎ/ are usually pronounced as clusters [nj] and [lj]
- /θ:/ and /ð:/ can be reduced to their short equivalents [θ] and [ð]
- /x/ is often pronounced as [h] (unless it follows or precedes a consonant?)
- /x:/ is often shortened to [x]
- the consonant cluseter /lɣ/ tends to be pronounced as [lj]
- parallel to the above change, the cluster /lx/ can also be pronounced as [lj]
- <ƕ> or <hv> (always word-initial) is pronounced as /v/ [ʋ] when followed by /a/, /ɔ/, /o/ or /ə/, but it becomes [ɧ] when followed by /i/, /y/, /u/, /ø/, /e/ or/ɛ/

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2013-04-18, 21:36

A few days ago I made a short dialogue in Celestial Laefêvëši. It's one of those introductory simple dialogues, it's supposed to give you a glimpse of how the languages sounds.

You can here the dialogue here: https://soundcloud.com/olilonien/dialogue-in-laefevesi (I can't voice act so you'll just have to pretend there are two people talking with almost the same voice.)

The dialogue:
A: Dóno!
A: Hello!
B: Jên! Váján?
B: Hi! How are you?
A: On áojnáh. Il é?
A: Mm, I'm fine. And you?
B: On ât áojn.
B: Mm, fine, too.
A: Váj si klásas?
A: What's your name?
B: Tîmōláh. Váj i sé náittanne?
B: I'm Tîmō. And what're you called?
A: Náittare Ʒérend.
A: I'm called Ʒérend.
B: Aë, no vaë vláiklás! Njâ kállan ássoi, skê?
B: Oh, what a nice name. But you're not from here, right?
A: Kē, álla líj málton, Ýhtelēte.
A: No, I'm from up north, from Whaletown.
B: No vaë váij! Njâ tjýttar, târ ánnannéh léj.
B: How nice! I'm sorry, but I have to go now.
A: Jǿn, žîten.
A: Sure, no problem.
B: Fóuttait se, ve sýttas, ijê.
B: Nice to have met you, though.
A: Fáij. Néajn éttarne. Lálleri.
A: The same. Have a nice day. See you.
B: Étei. Lálleri.
B: You too. See you.
A: Jên.
A: Bye.

If anyone wants a proper gloss, let me know. Any comments/thoughts would be much appreciated. :)

Return to “Conlangs”