Do you bother to fully learn your conlang?

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators:Ashucky, Dormouse559

WallOfStuff
Do you bother to fully learn your conlang?

Postby WallOfStuff » 2011-09-20, 20:20

Sorry if this has been done before, I'm new here and only looked through the first page of topics in this forum.

I was just wondering, for those conlangers on here, when you make a language (or languages), do you actually bother to become fully fluent in it by memorizing everything about it, including vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation, and writing? If so, why?

I don't and I have a few reasons why.

For one, since I am rather new to conlanging and languages in general, I am in an experimental stage right now. I constantly make conlangs, and once I realize they are annoying, ugly, or just don't sound good to me, I throw them away completely. Some I stick with longer than others, but eventually they may end up in the trash. So obviously I need to stick with and develop a language for a longer period of time if I were even to think of trying to memorize some of it.

Another reason is I don't plan on using my language to talk to others or anything like that (atleast not yet, anyway). My languages are a form of artistic expression for me, like my music and art creations. I find new ways to say things I already know how to say in other languages- and possibly things that aren't even in any other languages. I feel more in control of the feelings I'm writing down when they are in my created language, because I'm following my own rules and not my English or Spanish professor's.

And my last reason is probably because I'd rather spend my time trying to memorize things that I can actually use to communicate with others. It's more worthwhile for me to memorize and become fluent in a language with millions (or in the case of Chinese, over a billion) speakers that looks good on job applications. If I do want to write something in my language, I write down all the grammar rules and sounds and everything so I can just look at my references. With a real world language, I'd rather be able to speak it and read it without carrying around a heavy dictionary and grammar book.

So that's my reasons. Do you become fluent in your language? Why/why not?

lisenushka

Re: Do you bother to fully learn your conlang?

Postby lisenushka » 2011-09-21, 23:15

Personally, I usually develop conlangs based on the languages I am currently interested in. That doesn't mean they follow them exactly, but I'll try to almost guess ahead of myself how the other language I'm learning does work.

It's helped me out with Hungarian (not that I'm any good, but I'm only learning), and Romani.

Usually I'll be pretty good at the current conlang I use — not speaking-wise from memory, but I can't say that I can go back and read my old texts again.

Like you mentioned, I just make sure I have a file around with grammar notes and such :)

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2011-09-22, 0:22

I don't become fluent in my conlangs, but mainly because I don't think it's practical. I'm often changing things and the grammar and vocabulary often aren't developed enough to accommodate a very wide range of subjects. I do develop enough fluency to be able to make simple sentences without turning to my notes. I've found that this becomes easier with each conlang I create, so perhaps one day I will be fluent in a language of my own invention.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2011-09-22, 10:33

Not fluent, but I think I was fairly good in Volsertu, just because I was developing it a lot, made translations and held conversations in it with my dog (my dog didn't say much back though). It's just that when you're actively making a language, you're automatically learn it too. When you quit, you'll forget soon though.
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and French
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

mszegedy

Postby mszegedy » 2011-09-22, 22:29

Well, mine's pretty simple (besides the fact that it has 49 cases) and doesn't have an established vocabulary, so as far as it has gone, basically yes.
A footprint in the sand.

grantiswrich

Postby grantiswrich » 2016-07-15, 7:56

I can speak one of my conlangs, Kamitogo, fluently. It wasn't extremely hard to memorize and learn, and if I ever change or add words I learn the change at the time I make it. It has between 400 and 600 words that express almost all basic concepts and topics, although not extrmely complex ones (Scientifics, advanced mathematics, etc.). It gets most of its words from Japanese, Bahasa Indonesia, amd extinct language called Kenaboi, and French. I also created alot of my own words for the language as well though. I've created alot of conlangs but only speak one fluently.

Return to “Conlangs”