Angos

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators:Ashucky, Dormouse559

razlem
Re: Angos

Postby razlem » 2013-07-06, 22:29

This caused a bit of confusion and inconsistency, so I'm reassigning "know" from 'grasp' to the root 'brain', which just so happens to be no :P

Wo ba = I understand
Wo noa = I know

Wo oma lo = I know him
Wo noa lo = I know of him
American English (en-us)::German (de)::Standard Spanish (es) Swedish (sv) Mandarin (zh)::Choctaw (cho) Finnish (fi) Irish (ir) Arabic (ar)
Image wia wi nehas-kolwatos lae angos! Check out my IAL Angos
Image Contributor to the Houma Language Project
I have a YouTube channel! I talk about languages and stuff: Ben DuMonde

razlem

Postby razlem » 2013-08-03, 23:03

I added some actual lessons to the website (instead of just re-iterating grammar). I used my friend's Danish book as a template, which opens up with dialogue, then grammar, then vocabulary, then exercises.

http://angoslanguage.wikispaces.com/Lessons
American English (en-us)::German (de)::Standard Spanish (es) Swedish (sv) Mandarin (zh)::Choctaw (cho) Finnish (fi) Irish (ir) Arabic (ar)

Fox Saint-Just

Postby Fox Saint-Just » 2013-08-10, 13:09

I've just noticed a funny fact: culo (Angos for "fox") is a false friend for Italian in both spelling and pronunciation. If you consider its spelling, it would mean "ass" in Italian. If you consider the pronunciation /tʃulo/, it would be a vulgar way to say "I steal" or "I have sex with".
Native: [flag=]it[/flag] [flag=]egl[/flag] B2: [flag=]en[/flag] Intermediate: [flag=]de[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag] Curious about: [flag=]ru[/flag] [flag=]hy[/flag] [flag=]eu[/flag] [flag=]nah[/flag] [flag=]ga[/flag] [flag=]sr[/flag]
[flag=]art[/flag] Currently developing Ardlang: http://www.unilang.org/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=40076.

razlem

Postby razlem » 2013-08-10, 15:21

Haha, I had better change it then :lol:

Maybe culao would work better. It's even closer to the root word

razlem

Postby razlem » 2013-09-19, 20:58

Busy busy busy. But! I'm almost finished with an introductory book. If I could give it away for free I would (I mean, it's all online anyway), but the physical copy will likely cost around 7 USD plus shipping.
Last edited by razlem on 2013-09-20, 20:13, edited 1 time in total.

Ahzoh

Postby Ahzoh » 2013-09-20, 0:54

better Idea: make a micro-nation, like Talossa
A native of [flag=]en-CA[/flag]
Conlang: Image
Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.46

razlem

Postby razlem » 2013-09-20, 1:09

Ahh, if only.

But nah, I'm not trying to start a cult :)

razlem

Postby razlem » 2013-10-10, 20:48

Started an Angos chat on Skype. If anyone's interested in joining, send me a PM with your Skype username so I can invite you. :mrgreen:

SostiMatiko

Postby SostiMatiko » 2013-12-11, 20:27

to be sincere, i found something very good in your Angos: that you use no diacritics on letters, but only a simple alphabet and easy phonology. The negative things are that trying to read your texts i can not recognise even one word or elements, your vocabulary is not close to the original Protolanguage, and, the high frequency of the sound L is in my opinion the worst thing in any language.
ॐ भूर् भु॑वः सुवः त॑त् सवितु॑र् व॑रेणियं भ॑र्गो देव॑स्य धीमहि धि॑यो यो॑ नः प्रचोद॑यात्

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2013-12-12, 0:27

Sost ematiko wrote:the original Protolanguage
What is the original Protolanguage, if I may ask.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

razlem

Postby razlem » 2013-12-12, 16:05

Sost ematiko wrote:to be sincere, i found something very good in your Angos: that you use no diacritics on letters, but only a simple alphabet and easy phonology. The negative things are that trying to read your texts i can not recognise even one word or elements, your vocabulary is not close to the original Protolanguage, and, the high frequency of the sound L is in my opinion the worst thing in any language.

Thank you for the comments

The words are not supposed to be instantly recognizable (at least, to the extent of Esperanto/Interlingua); their natlang counterparts serve only as a phonetic influence.

I am also unsure what you mean with "the original Protolanguage"

SostiMatiko

Protolanguage

Postby SostiMatiko » 2013-12-16, 16:21

All people spoke one only language until recently. Around 1992 I named it "Language of Homo Sapiens". Today more people use the term. I have published online a work about it, it is in Greek. I will give you a link if you might read it.
As for my conlang, it does not attempt to use the ProtoLanguage elements, because they are hard for modern users, but my conlang, which you may see in my blog here, tries to use recognisable terms as much as possible. You may have a look and tell me how much you understand from it, before reading its description and after you browse the vocabulary of strictly 222 words.
thanks!
ॐ भूर् भु॑वः सुवः त॑त् सवितु॑र् व॑रेणियं भ॑र्गो देव॑स्य धीमहि धि॑यो यो॑ नः प्रचोद॑यात्

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2013-12-16, 20:39

So, if the point of an auxlang is the be easy to learn, and the elements of this ProtoLanguage "are hard for modern users", why would anyone put them in an auxlang?

In any case, are there any independent sources describing this language, because at the moment, your word is the only evidence for its existence.

SostiMatiko

Postby SostiMatiko » 2013-12-17, 16:39

Dormouse559 wrote:So, if the point of an auxlang is the be easy to learn, and the elements of this ProtoLanguage "are hard for modern users", why would anyone put them in an auxlang?

In any case, are there any independent sources describing this language, because at the moment, your word is the only evidence for its existence.

First, i did NOT use Protolanguage elements in my conlangs, except when they coincide with forms known from Greek, mainly. Internationally known Greek words were preferred, such as foto (see photo, "light"), or varo (see baro-, barometer etc., "weight"). Such are often possible to trace up to the Protolanguage, but i do not go to it. My point is to use a single source of vocabulary and at the same time as easy to recognise and remember as possible. Yet it is good that word forms often are pretty close to ancient forms, because the ancient forms have a sound that objectively gives the meaning. That objectivity was always in ancient times, but people have gone far from it, as i explain in my essay "on subjectiveness an objectiveness", you can find it in my posts.
Second, i do NOT go use to the phonology of the Protolanguage which is quite rich in consonants. Instead, i simplify the phonology as much as practicable, and also allow for some reasonable divergence which is expected from people of different natural languages.
In any case, DID I EVER SAY that there are any independent sources describing my constructed language? Why do you highlight that? Do you think it lessens the worth of the language? On the contrary: those who envy it, they will deliberately ignore it, and reading between your lines, you also are envious of it, so you will ignore it too. But this does not mean it is not good. Exactly because it is a great language, that is why it attracts people's envy.
I don't know if there are independent people using or describing Angos, but what i can say is that no matter how much i read it, i cannot make things out, because the elements are not close to any old languages which are also internationally widespread. This is my point regarding Angos. I thought its maker wanted to know to what degree his conlang is readily understandible. If he doesn't care, why should i care?
I will appreciate if anyone reads my auxlang and inform me what they can understand of it.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2013-12-17, 18:49

Touchy, are we? I'm sorry if something I said angered you, but that wasn't my intention.

Sost ematiko wrote:but what i can say is that no matter how much i read it, i cannot make things out, because the elements are not close to any old languages which are also internationally widespread. This is my point regarding Angos.
That is a valid point. Don't let it get bogged down in plugs for your own projects.

Sost ematiko wrote:I thought its maker wanted to know to what degree his conlang is readily understandible. If he doesn't care, why should i care?
And don't put words in people's mouths. He never said he didn't care about your opinion.

SostiMatiko

Postby SostiMatiko » 2013-12-18, 16:36

You speak like a frank and righteous person, so i m not at all angered to you.
I do not have any bad intentions for you or razlem, but you want me to talk straight, so my opinion on conlangs is as follows:
i have found only one GOOD conlang in the world, that is Latino Sine Flexione, but even that has some very weak points for the correction of which i have made some clear suggestions (ask me for details if interested).
All other conlangs i have found are much worse than natural languages, and therefore they are useless. The usefulness of a conlang is to be better than a natural language.
The worst of all in a conlang is when it discards R and keeps L. In my opinion, the sound L has an objective connection with Lie and fickLness, it should not be used in names, especially in the last syllable of names, where it reveals very untrustworthy personalities. If you use L it too much, it will mislead you in a dangerous way.
I have talked with a conlanger who says his and all other conlangs are only for mental exercise. I do not agree with him, but even if the purpose is only mental exercise, do it through a natural language, no need to make your own.
If you think you must make your own just for the sake of exercise, you must use a single a posteriori source, even if that source has many sources in itself (as English).
Myself, i thought English would be a good source for my conlang, but trying to use it, didn't work for my purpose (which is not only exercise, but also real and international usage).
Every priest blesses his own beard (says a Greek proverb), and you will say i do the same, but even so i do say that in making my conlangs i went beyond the weak points of all other conlangs i have seen. Could it be even better? maybe, but i have thought and re-thought again and again and still i cannot find any more improvements to make, and nobody has given me any suggestion for improvement. If you or anyone can suggest any improvement, welcome.
If you want my suggestions for improving other conlangs, just see above within this post.
If you reply to this post, my next reply will be in my conlang!

razlem

Postby razlem » 2013-12-18, 17:08

This topic is for discussion about my conlang Angos. Constructive criticism is welcome, but you may not advertise your own projects here. If you want to discuss how auxiliary languages should be and the reasons people construct languages, then use the General Conlang Discussion topic: viewtopic.php?f=85&t=36087

razlem

Postby razlem » 2014-01-13, 22:14

An issue I've had with the possessive system is that it lacked a concrete form, relying on the abstractness of "ba" (grasp), which I always associated more with the active action of getting something, or causing something to be in your grasp. So I switched 'to have' to 'tae' (which is a shortened version of 'tave/tafe'), which is "there is/there are"

Old version:
Wo ba mao (lit. I grasp cat)

New version:
De wo, tae mao (lit. At me there is cat)

razlem

Postby razlem » 2014-04-02, 12:28

razlem

Postby razlem » 2014-04-04, 17:11

Return to “Conlangs”