Angos

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators:Ashucky, Dormouse559

Kshaard
Re: Angos

Postby Kshaard » 2014-04-06, 18:23

I was just looking at your wikispaces when I found this

lepubulikudemokulatikukong - Democratic Republic of the Congo
lepubulikukong - Republic of the Congo

This is mildly ridiculous. OK, so it's not exactly concise in English, but we do have abbreviations we use - DRC and plain old Congo. How about sayil (from Zaire) for DRC and kong for the other one? That would simplify things quite a lot.
Project Zelia is not dead - it is only sleeping. Long live project permanently unnamed!

Xupaca - Gakxiirou - Tawʒessò - Ōrgadūvk - Maxyrteser

razlem

Postby razlem » 2014-04-06, 23:44

I had just changed that yesterday, haha. I know, it is kind of ridiculous. But I wanted to use the name that the country refers to itself as. Researching it a bit more though, I think I can change it to 'kinsasao' (since DRC can also be called Congo-Kinshasa, as RC can be called Congo-Brazzaville). RC can probably stick with 'kongo'.
American English (en-us)::German (de)::Standard Spanish (es) Swedish (sv) Mandarin (zh)::Choctaw (cho) Finnish (fi) Irish (ir) Arabic (ar)
Image wia wi nehas-kolwatos lae angos! Check out my IAL Angos
Image Contributor to the Houma Language Project
I have a YouTube channel! I talk about languages and stuff: Ben DuMonde

puoteen_uusinesta

Postby puoteen_uusinesta » 2014-05-11, 21:43

I really like this language! It's really nice to speak and the grammar is very interesting :D
[flag=]sv[/flag] -> know very well.
[flag=]en[/flag] -> native
[flag=]de[/flag] -> sort of...good enough
[flag=]fi[/flag] -> Beginner
[flag=]nl[/flag] -> Good enough

razlem

Postby razlem » 2014-05-11, 22:35

milo!
Thank you!

wo ke esas sele kod-wegos hie ceo lae fem-samino koneca. :)
I'll upload more videos when the semester ends :)
American English (en-us)::German (de)::Standard Spanish (es) Swedish (sv) Mandarin (zh)::Choctaw (cho) Finnish (fi) Irish (ir) Arabic (ar)

razlem

Postby razlem » 2014-05-27, 23:31

One of Angos' learners set up a wikia for writing things in Angos. If anyone wants to practice writing or reading, feel free!

http://angos.wikia.com/wiki/Angos_Wiki

Ahzoh

Postby Ahzoh » 2014-05-28, 3:24

This language is one of my inspiration for dedication to produce a language that will spoken irl, though not as an IAL. You have many things done.

So I have to ask, how would I go about teaching my own conlang?
And how were you able to generate such interest?
A native of [flag=]en-CA[/flag]
Conlang: Image
Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.46

razlem

Postby razlem » 2014-05-28, 4:33

Ahzoh wrote:This language is one of my inspiration for dedication to produce a language that will spoken irl, though not as an IAL. You have many things done.

Well thank you, I'm glad my work has been inspirational! :D

Probably the biggest factors in my success so far are the videos I made with me speaking the language, and the introductions to grammar videos. Those kinds of things can be shared easily on social media and let people get a taste of what it would be like to speak and hear the language.

As far as actual courses, I'm actually still trying to figure that out myself. I have flashcard courses that I made with Memrise. I'm not a fan of traditional lectures or language exercises; I want to make learning the language a unique experience. Right now I'm in the process of making another set of videos, with me moving around my room and talking about things at a basic level, and then I ask the viewers to do the same (the Total Physical Response method).

Ahzoh

Postby Ahzoh » 2014-05-28, 12:13

razlem wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:This language is one of my inspiration for dedication to produce a language that will spoken irl, though not as an IAL. You have many things done.

Well thank you, I'm glad my work has been inspirational! :D

Probably the biggest factors in my success so far are the videos I made with me speaking the language, and the introductions to grammar videos. Those kinds of things can be shared easily on social media and let people get a taste of what it would be like to speak and hear the language.

As far as actual courses, I'm actually still trying to figure that out myself. I have flashcard courses that I made with Memrise. I'm not a fan of traditional lectures or language exercises; I want to make learning the language a unique experience. Right now I'm in the process of making another set of videos, with me moving around my room and talking about things at a basic level, and then I ask the viewers to do the same (the Total Physical Response method).

I tried to make video on my conlang but Windows Movie Maker sucks and won't display my conlang's letters AND english text...

I practically have to draw in paint my texts...

razlem

Postby razlem » 2014-05-28, 17:32

Ahzoh wrote:I tried to make video on my conlang but Windows Movie Maker sucks and won't display my conlang's letters AND english text...

Hm. Have you tried using an online font/script maker? I remember hashi (or maybe ashucky) had a link to a good one. If that doesn't work, I'd suggest using some kind of romanization, and then provide a link to the script, and then you could film a tutorial showing how to write the script.

Ahzoh

Postby Ahzoh » 2014-05-28, 18:35

razlem wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:I tried to make video on my conlang but Windows Movie Maker sucks and won't display my conlang's letters AND english text...

Hm. Have you tried using an online font/script maker? I remember hashi (or maybe ashucky) had a link to a good one. If that doesn't work, I'd suggest using some kind of romanization, and then provide a link to the script, and then you could film a tutorial showing how to write the script.

No, I have my own font using FontMaker, both print and cursive forms.
My problem is either all the text is written in my conlang's font, or it's all written in Latin Script (e.g. Arial or DejaVu Sans).

Did you use WindowsMovieMaker?

Though, I have an idea:
I'ŀ make a powerpoint presentation and take ScreenCaptures of each slide...

razlem

Postby razlem » 2014-05-28, 19:00

I use iMovie for Mac

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2014-05-29, 11:14

You could try and get Pinnacle Studio. It's not free but it's possible to get an alternative version ;) It's what I used for one of my videos where I needed different fonts and colours and such.
Slovenščina (sl)English (en)Italiano (it)漢語 (zh)Español (es)Suomi (fi)Svenska (sv)日本語 (ja)فارسی (fa)Nešili (hit)
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
Največji sovražnik znanja ni nevednost, marveč iluzija znanja.

razlem

Postby razlem » 2014-08-15, 5:34

Finally made another narration in Angos about a current event. Figured this would show off some of the actual conversational abilities Angos has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmiHsj60cVw

razlem

Postby razlem » 2014-09-07, 20:06

Had some extra time, so I subtitled another song (Sia <3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdZb6XGqIqo

Swalf

Postby Swalf » 2014-09-23, 20:50

Your language is very nice and it realizes many of smart concepts that I've tried to distill from natural and planned languages and that I've tried to put in one one of my future conlangs.

Specially I appreciate your use of roots from very many languages (even small and so much neglected languages like African and Native American langs). I tried to do something similar. but it's difficult task to take roots from many sources and keep small and easy the phonetic inventory.
I like genderless words and the your relative simple phonetic inventory.

I also like your idea about ambi-transitivity, it keeps simple the languages but (I'm not surely because I've discovered your language only yesterday and I had no time to watch in depth your creation) it maybe too dependent by the context in some situations. Personally I hate languages that try to be absolutely context-free, this design causes necessity to overload language with every kind of markers that give learning process extremely difficult and reduce artistic use.
On the other side extreme dependent-by-context design reduces possibility to make an IAL (like in beautiful Toki Pona, but it has anything but IAL purpose). If you plan build a translator or write a legal text could no be simple interpreting heavy vagueness.
For example with -food- root:
wo ala lo means I eat it or I give food to him/her? Humans in context probably understand what you would say, but human out of context (Image to read in a cartel prohibition Angos text for "Do not feed animals here" which could be misinterpreted as "Do not eat animals here") or computer translator can heavy fail sentence interpretation in point that isn't a small detail.

Another trait that a bit perplex me is the mandatory use of tense particles ('me' and 'ke') and in other side the lack of aspect particles (at least perfective or imperfective). I suggest to make optional tense particles and create two mandatory particles (or another marker) for imperfective or perfective aspect. It could be a smarter distinction.

If I succeed to build a IAL language I would refuse the mandatory plural mark like Angos 'le' and introduce an useful 1+2 (I+you) pronoun.

Maybe some two-letter particles sounds to much similar, for example 'de' and 'te'.

Apart from my observations, your language sounds good and original (especially if compared with the mass of ugly copies of Esperanto and Romance languages). Congratulations!
(it)★★★★ (eo)★★★ (en)★★★ (lmo)★★
If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head.
If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.
(Nelson Mandela)

razlem

Postby razlem » 2014-10-03, 4:43

Thanks for your comments! I'm glad you like the language :D

wo ala lo means I eat it or I give food to him/her? Humans in context probably understand what you would say, but human out of context (Image to read in a cartel prohibition Angos text for "Do not feed animals here" which could be misinterpreted as "Do not eat animals here") or computer translator can heavy fail sentence interpretation in point that isn't a small detail.

Correct, just saying "X ala Y" could be confusing without context. But there are simple options to make oneself better understood. Ex: "wo dala alo de hefo" (I give food to the animal). What Angos offers is a simpler way to convey this meaning IF the context is already known between the speakers.

Another trait that a bit perplex me is the mandatory use of tense particles ('me' and 'ke') and in other side the lack of aspect particles (at least perfective or imperfective). I suggest to make optional tense particles and create two mandatory particles (or another marker) for imperfective or perfective aspect. It could be a smarter distinction.

If I succeed to build a IAL language I would refuse the mandatory plural mark like Angos 'le' and introduce an useful 1+2 (I+you) pronoun.

I suppose I should clarify that in the grammar guide. "me" "ke" and "le" are not mandatory if context is clear. For example, prepositions/adverbs can indicate time, and a phrase like "do not feed the animals" could be rendered as "nae dala alo de hefo" without "le". Modifiers such as "this" and "any" can further specify if necessary. As far as I+you, there's "le wo", but I personally don't like the idea of dual or paucal or clusivity in an auxiliary language.

Maybe some two-letter particles sounds to much similar, for example 'de' and 'te'.

I suppose, but those are hard to get rid of in any language, to be honest. At least you know that "de" will be before a noun, and "te" will be before a verb".

Swalf

Postby Swalf » 2014-10-03, 15:44

Thanks for some clarifications, I think that were better if you add in the Angos' description that le isn't mandatory, like me and ke.
I like very much clusivity, but I think it fits better in languages with no explicit plural marks, otherwise it can be a little overload.
(it)★★★★ (eo)★★★ (en)★★★ (lmo)★★
If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head.
If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.
(Nelson Mandela)

Ciarán12

Postby Ciarán12 » 2014-10-10, 0:09

Hey, wo kala ti angos, tae falo lae kali, wo eksa. mice ayni dimeso - "ilulan". namo estama fe engul-ango, nae fe ilulan-ango. wo eksa, lo sefame "eela" oe "eelan".

razlem

Postby razlem » 2014-10-25, 0:57

milo, wo me kaela lo :)

razlem

Postby razlem » 2014-10-26, 8:28

New Memrise course! Instead of just single words, this flashcard course uses full sentences to get you better acquainted with the grammar.

http://www.memrise.com/course/435647/an ... ord-order/

Return to “Conlangs”