Bulgarian fonts/typefaces

Moderator:gothwolf

Psi-Lord
Bulgarian fonts/typefaces

Postby Psi-Lord » 2012-09-10, 11:44

Not long ago, I found out something very interesting – that there exists a particular design for Bulgarian typefaces/fonts that, as far as I could find out, isn’t commonly seen in any other country that uses the Cyrillic alphabet. The differences can easily be seen in this picture (standard Cyrillic above, Bulgarian-flavoured design below):

Only then did I realise how common it is to see the variants in my Bulgarian materials and in pictures of outdoor ads, shops, magazines etc. Because of that, I started searching for Windows fonts designed along those lines, but I found out they’re really hard to spot, particularly if you’re looking for free stuff (but not only then). Besides the professional font in that image (Myriad Pro), I also found another professional font (Rotis Semi Serif) – but couldn’t really get any of them –, and then avataar was kind enough to get me an .OTF copy of Teams (originally a Type 1 font) from his Linux distribution.

I was wondering, then – do any of you happen to know any fonts designed that way that you could share or that one could easily download a copy of from somewhere?
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

language learner

Re: Bulgarian fonts/typefaces

Postby language learner » 2012-09-10, 11:57

I didn't know that that font was specifically made for Bulgarian. I dislike it, since in it the cyrillic к looks entirely like the latin k, and so do ж and sometimes ю. The vertical lines of these three letters к ж and ю have never reached the height of capital letters.
Other than that, I barely see any difference, just minor stylistic variations.

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2015-08-01, 21:51

This is an old thread, and I haven’t been around UniLang in ages, but I chanced upon this discussion today and couldn’t help not returning here to link to it: https://github.com/googlei18n/noto-fonts/issues/89.
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

Woods

Postby Woods » 2015-10-02, 20:55

I totally agree with language learner - ж, к and ю are not supposed to go up like the Latin k - this font is fucked up.

I also don't like the small т looking like an m, but this one is at least pretty common. Indeed the lowercase т / т usually looks that way when the font is in italics only. I personally would never write it that way or select a font with this variant for printing.

Stefan Peev

Postby Stefan Peev » 2017-01-20, 10:24

You could find a lot of free fonts with modern form of Bulgarian Cyrillic here: http://localfonts.eu/bulgarian-cyrillic/
And here are two issues about the modern form of Bulgarian Cyrillic:
Botio Nikoltchev: What shall be done for Bulgarian Cyrillic .loclBGR
Krista Radoeva: Cyrillic script variations and the importance of localisation
Last edited by Stefan Peev on 2017-04-16, 19:19, edited 4 times in total.

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2017-04-29, 19:17

I find the font Intro so good-looking. It was made by Fontfabric, which is a Bulgarian font foundry. The foundry to which the font belongs also provides a free download link to the font if you're excited to try it, or a purchase link if you will use the font on publications.

(The style of the font used in the picture is Book Alt).
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

Return to “Bulgarian (Български)”