Bulgarian Music

Moderator: gothwolf

User avatar
Svet
Posts: 64
Joined: 2011-01-13, 5:29
Gender: female

Re: Bulgarian Music

Postby Svet » 2011-02-08, 23:30

Boys, play nice and don't offend your comrades. :mrgreen:
Native: Image
Advanced by birth: Image
Fluent: Image Image
Passionate & learning: Image Image

Rémy LeBeau
Posts: 817
Joined: 2007-11-28, 19:14
Real Name: Jade
Gender: male
Location: Kabul
Country: AF Afghanistan (افغانستان)
Contact:

Re: Bulgarian Music

Postby Rémy LeBeau » 2011-02-09, 0:34

Someone needs to fill me in here, because I'm feeling a little lost. What exactly is 'chalga'? Can anyone post any examples?
ਧਰਤੀ 'ਤੇ ਲਹੂ ਵੱਸਿਆ । 
ਕ਼ਬਰਾਂ ਪਈਆਂ ਚੋਣ
 । ਪ੍ਰੀਤ ਦੀਆਂ ਸ਼ਹਿਜ਼ਾਦੀਆਂ 
। ਅੱਜ ਵਿੱਚ ਮਜ਼ਾਰਾਂ ਰੋਣ ।
dhartī 'tē lahū vassiā | qabarāṅ paīāṅ ćoṇ | prīt dīāṅ śahizādīāṅ | ajj vićć mazārāṅ roṇ |


User avatar
Svet
Posts: 64
Joined: 2011-01-13, 5:29
Gender: female

Re: Bulgarian Music

Postby Svet » 2011-02-09, 0:55

Чалга - comes from the Turkish word çalgı, meaning "music". During the time of the Ottoman empire, the Turks brought a lot of Indian gypsies to the Balkans for amusement (they reportedly liked their dancing and music). It became an often practice that while the local Turkish beys (rich people) came to have dinner at the restaurants, they would also ask for the gypsy musicians to come and sing and play for them, while they're eating. Those were the "calgadji" (lit. musicians).

Nowadays, the music is a Balkan genre, mixing Turkish and Gypsy rhythms with Serbian or Bulgarian lyrics. It is extremely popular due to the fact that - unlike the majority of popular music - it uses the domestic language of its audience, instead of the prevalent otherwise English. However it is also being very criticised for its decadence and low artistic quality - the lyrics are often very simple, sexually-oriented, and not suitable for minors, the music is simple and hardly variable from one song to the next. Chalga also uses local Balkan elements into the Turkish/Gypsy rhythms, so a lot of people find it great to dance to, others hate it to the bottom of their hearts - also because it was and is initially Turkish - a culture oppressed on the Balkans in the form of slavery in the course of 500 years.
Native: Image
Advanced by birth: Image
Fluent: Image Image
Passionate & learning: Image Image

User avatar
kalata23
Posts: 73
Joined: 2010-11-26, 23:57
Real Name: Калоян
Gender: male
Location: Stara Zagora
Country: BG Bulgaria (България)

Re: Bulgarian Music

Postby kalata23 » 2011-02-09, 6:33

Rumpetroll wrote:
kalata23 wrote:
Rumpetroll wrote:I'm pretty sure it's music. This isn't music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKuZzR2FknI

And also, what I find sad and can't understand is why do people say that they don't consider music genres they don't like to be music at all. It's something I've often heard here as well. Some don't consider turbo-folk and chalga music, and on the other hand some don't consider metal and punk to be music.

Because may be exactly chalga is something with no sense. Lyrics are crap. Most of them say something like: "Let's go to the highway to stop some young boys and make sex for money". The melody is crap too so elementary and monotonous. I respect the taste of all people, but i don't think chalga can be music. Of course this is my opinion.


And my opinion is that you can go and fuck yourself with your opinion.
kalata23 wrote:I think most foreigners love chalga because of the melody.

Why, thank you, captain Obvious.

Ok, why don't you try to translate the lyrics of " Преслава - Мъж на хоризонта " ?
is this a normal lyrics?
" Sexy boy on the horizon,
passion on the horizon,
Come on ladies, it's our chance
Put some lipstick, insulting, sweet
Let's provoke him (in the meaning of to seduce him ) "

And there are lots of other songs that has lyrics like this. Oh, and Azis is a fagot that is playing like woman, because of image. He cries like woman and where is the music in that? Or the lyrics
" Touch it, let it play in your hands....... " it means something like grab my penis.
I said there are much better songs and i post some of them. Like "Една българска роза", "Бяла роза" "Моя страна, моя българия" and etc.
I'll give you translated lyrics of "Една българска роза" :

Good evening, my young friend
Good evening, comrade
Welcome to our town
Welcome to Bulgaria

Chorus:

Take in this lovely day,
a Bulgarian rose from me
Let it remember you with the aromatic voice
For the Balkan (It means Stara planina), for the sea
And for all of us, all of us

And when my young friend,
And when comrade,
You leave our town
You leave Bulgaria

Chorus....

And never forget this Bulgarian rose.. and me
Let it remember you with the aromatic voice
For the Balkan, for the sea
And for all of us, all of us



OK, which song is more meaningful?
Азь Буки Веди Глаголи Добро Есть Живети Дзело Земле Иже Како Люде Мыслите Наш Он Покой Ръци Слово Твърдо

Ludwig Whitby
Posts: 3665
Joined: 2009-03-30, 13:44
Gender: male
Location: Belgrade
Country: RS Serbia (Србија)

Re: Bulgarian Music

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2011-02-09, 9:00

The latter one is of course much better, but we're not talking about Bulgarian poetry, we're talking about Bulgarian music. Lyrics do influence how much I like the song, but they are far from being the only criterion. Some of us like banal lyrics as well.

User avatar
IvoCarog
Posts: 66
Joined: 2010-02-22, 20:53
Gender: male
Country: BG Bulgaria (България)

Re: Bulgarian Music

Postby IvoCarog » 2011-02-09, 10:43

hah this topic got interesting :lol: i agree with Rumpetroll - it's not good to dismiss a song/movie/whatever just because you don't like it :roll: if somebody likes it - then it must have some value :) plus there are songs and songs - there are times when you want to listen to something more meaningful and times when you just want a song that will make you dance :P

there's a song for every mood :D

Азис § Малина - Не знаеш
Аксиния - Да те обича като мен (a nice song and an even better video :mrgreen: )
The Top Stoppers Yoko, Wosh & Co - Дъжд
Ragga One - Радвай се
native: Image
fluent: Image Image
well enough: Image

Ludwig Whitby
Posts: 3665
Joined: 2009-03-30, 13:44
Gender: male
Location: Belgrade
Country: RS Serbia (Србија)

Re: Bulgarian Music

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2011-02-09, 10:58

Naturally. :) Sometimes I wish to listen to this kind of music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c96Tatufb7w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoxCU4eJB0A
It sounds so innocent, care-free and happy. Plus, the Bulgarian diminutives make it sounds so cute. Песничка на врабчето! It can't sound cuter! :)

User avatar
IvoCarog
Posts: 66
Joined: 2010-02-22, 20:53
Gender: male
Country: BG Bulgaria (България)

Re: Bulgarian Music

Postby IvoCarog » 2011-02-09, 11:09

lol Rumpetroll :lol: yesterday a topic in a different forum made me watch the intros to like 10-15 different cartoons - now you post these songs...all i can say is: i miss being a kid! :(

on a different note:
Hipodil & Vasil Gyurov - Let Me Da Te Love U
this song is charged with so much energy - it's unreal! :)
native: Image
fluent: Image Image
well enough: Image

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 19660
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Bulgarian Music

Postby linguoboy » 2011-02-09, 16:28

kalata23 wrote:Oh, and Azis is a fagot that is playing like woman, because of image. He cries like woman and where is the music in that?

Has it ever occurred to you that another reason why chalga appeals to "foreigners" is that we don't carry around the same reactionary prejudices against "faggots" and women that you do?

Rumpetroll wrote:The latter one is of course much better

I couldn't disagree more. But then I don't have much patience for romanticised sentimental nationalism. Maybe you can feel passionate about a "Bulgarian rose", but I'm much more stirred by the thought of seducing a sexy boy. The best poetry incorporates concrete images drawn from real life, otherwise it descends into sterile idealism and didacticism. To me, "Една българска роза" has all the poetic appeal of the American Pledge of Allegiance.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

User avatar
IvoCarog
Posts: 66
Joined: 2010-02-22, 20:53
Gender: male
Country: BG Bulgaria (България)

Re: Bulgarian Music

Postby IvoCarog » 2011-02-09, 18:26

linguoboy wrote:the American Pledge of Allegiance.


actually i kinda like it :P
native: Image
fluent: Image Image
well enough: Image

Ludwig Whitby
Posts: 3665
Joined: 2009-03-30, 13:44
Gender: male
Location: Belgrade
Country: RS Serbia (Србија)

Re: Bulgarian Music

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2011-02-09, 20:10

linguoboy wrote:
Rumpetroll wrote:The latter one is of course much better

I couldn't disagree more. But then I don't have much patience for romanticised sentimental nationalism. Maybe you can feel passionate about a "Bulgarian rose", but I'm much more stirred by the thought of seducing a sexy boy. The best poetry incorporates concrete images drawn from real life, otherwise it descends into sterile idealism and didacticism. To me, "Една българска роза" has all the poetic appeal of the American Pledge of Allegiance.


Fair enough. I don't feel passionate towards neither of the two songs, but the latter one was more appealing to me, and at least in his translation sounded more 'poetic', that is, sounded as if it wasn't written in 2 minutes by someone who hasn't written anything in their life.
It seems that you are, unlike me, well versed in poetry, so I wouldn't really want to start a big discussion on it, if you don't mind. I'd probably end up feeling dumb. :)

User avatar
kalata23
Posts: 73
Joined: 2010-11-26, 23:57
Real Name: Калоян
Gender: male
Location: Stara Zagora
Country: BG Bulgaria (България)

Re: Bulgarian Music

Postby kalata23 » 2011-02-10, 6:42

OK
And about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c96Tatufb7w
This is not a child song ;) A lot of foreigners think this is a child song, but it's just a child version of a great poem.
This is not an argue, it's just note ;)
Азь Буки Веди Глаголи Добро Есть Живети Дзело Земле Иже Како Люде Мыслите Наш Он Покой Ръци Слово Твърдо

User avatar
Svet
Posts: 64
Joined: 2011-01-13, 5:29
Gender: female

Re: Bulgarian Music

Postby Svet » 2011-02-11, 19:16

is this a normal lyrics?
" Sexy boy on the horizon,
passion on the horizon,
Come on ladies, it's our chance
Put some lipstick, insulting, sweet
Let's provoke him


I am literally like this: :rotfl:
Native: Image
Advanced by birth: Image
Fluent: Image Image
Passionate & learning: Image Image

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 19660
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Bulgarian Music

Postby linguoboy » 2011-02-11, 19:32

Svet wrote:I am literally like this

Me, too! (Except for the lipstick.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

User avatar
Æren
Posts: 1826
Joined: 2006-07-17, 18:22
Real Name: Ivan
Gender: male
Location: Sofia
Country: BG Bulgaria (България)
Contact:

Re: Bulgarian Music

Postby Æren » 2011-02-11, 20:39

Here's one of my favourite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLCMwqc-xgc
I'm quite fond of the lyrics; the video also is in nice unity with the message :)
:<3:  (pt )  (es-ES )  (fr )
:D  (uk )  (no)  (lt)  (de-AT)
:?  (fa )  (tl)  (tr )  (cs)  (ja)  (he )
:para:  (ir )  (hu )

User avatar
Svet
Posts: 64
Joined: 2011-01-13, 5:29
Gender: female

Re: Bulgarian Music

Postby Svet » 2011-02-11, 21:13

linguoboy wrote:Me, too! (Except for the lipstick.)


I bet you didn't see the rolling on the floor laughing icon right after the sentence :D )) Okay, never mind, everyone is different in their preferences.
Native: Image
Advanced by birth: Image
Fluent: Image Image
Passionate & learning: Image Image

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 19660
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Bulgarian Music

Postby linguoboy » 2011-02-11, 21:53

Svet wrote:I bet you didn't see the rolling on the floor laughing icon right after the sentence.

I bet you're wrong. But if you prefer to believe I'm as thick as pigshit, then that's your prerogative!

Speaking of pigshit, how about this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kixSZbPV3ZM.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

User avatar
Svet
Posts: 64
Joined: 2011-01-13, 5:29
Gender: female

Re: Bulgarian Music

Postby Svet » 2011-02-11, 22:57

I only meant to say that I was laughing at the lyrics... Okay, never mind.
Native: Image
Advanced by birth: Image
Fluent: Image Image
Passionate & learning: Image Image

Ludwig Whitby
Posts: 3665
Joined: 2009-03-30, 13:44
Gender: male
Location: Belgrade
Country: RS Serbia (Србија)

Re: Bulgarian Music

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2011-02-12, 7:44

We've got a similar song in Yugoslavia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ODQBw-ksA

It seems that the time has come for Yugoslav singers to copy Bulgarian music. It used to be the other way around. Like this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAbbE1oMXJQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUzJeQEjFGU

And I'd also like to share a chalga I like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAXemOXEPEM

User avatar
kalata23
Posts: 73
Joined: 2010-11-26, 23:57
Real Name: Калоян
Gender: male
Location: Stara Zagora
Country: BG Bulgaria (България)

Re: Bulgarian Music

Postby kalata23 » 2011-02-14, 7:20

I think Kamelia copy from Lepa Brena ;)

We know that in every country there are people that drink a lot of alcohol. But some people in Bulgaria know an alcoholic, that's called Kolio piyandeto (piyande means man, that drinks a lot). So listen this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugIIV3S3Bhc

"Once i started fighting with a man
That stated looking at my gin.
And he made a mistake,
He took 2 shovels and fell asleep ( it' means that the main character hit this stranger that looked at his gin), Ee-oo
Who is he, starring at my glass?
He summoned his fate.
I cut him,
I galvanized his bucket, Ee-oo
Chorus 1:
Because when I'm drunk,
Suddenly I become cretin.
I'm ready to fight, there are no obstacleс for me
If you look at my dish, I'll shrink you a pretzel.
Just, brother you make yourself a problem.

Chorus2:
Sucking, Sucking, Sucking beer and Rakia, Oh
There is not break for my stupidity, Eh, so what?
I though about not drinking the imitation (It' means cheap alcohol),
Because my carpet drops dawn quick.

However, meeting intercept another twist
I didn't figured that the man has powerful neck (that means, the man he fought is strong and large)
And when he caught me,
Immediately i realized my mistake.
Melee occur rapidly at this late hour,
I took two slap, it became "dish with leeks,
He disturbed me, changed me from the facade!

Chorus 1...
Chorus 2...


Today in Bulgaria we celebrate 2 holidays - Trifon Zarezan and St. Valentine
the first holiday is linked with an old Bulgarian tradition - to go to the vineyard and to pare vineyard
After that the evening starts with a nice company, lot of alcohol and food. We keep the tradition, because of the fertility of the vineyards.
So happy Trifon Zarezan to every Bulgarians and foreigners :)
And be careful with the alcohol, don't be like Kolio piyandeto :D
Азь Буки Веди Глаголи Добро Есть Живети Дзело Земле Иже Како Люде Мыслите Наш Он Покой Ръци Слово Твърдо


Return to “Bulgarian (Български)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest