Dialects in Bulgaria

Moderator:gothwolf

duko
Dialects in Bulgaria

Postby duko » 2008-12-05, 14:32

Hi, I've been meaning to ask a question here since the summer: First of all, any info on dialects, audio and text samples or explanations about the different dialects would be very nice.

For me only the eastern (Тракия, Странджа) accents, resp. the Plovdiv accent are recognizable (too much listening to Katra FM radio from Plovdiv). From phonology, it's easy to tell what is left and what is right from "ятова граница". Otherwise I know some regional words from Thrace (like "суган") and I can recognize the bridge dialects to Serbian from the extreme west.

There's something puzzling me for a long time, and i hope someone could explain it to me. Been this summer in Thrace, visited a grandma and grandpa in a village near Haskovo. At some point grandpa said: "я не мога веке да найда", meaning probably "аз не мога повече да намеря". Is this normal for this region? Sounded more like Macedonian to me, plus he used the verb for "to find" that is common with Serbian and even Slovak. And they always use "я" for the first person singular, not even "яс".
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

gothwolf
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Dialects in Bulgaria

Postby gothwolf » 2008-12-08, 14:37

Yeap, Duko, you are right. The sentence "я не мога веке да найда" sounds like a West dialect (closely to Macedonia). I'm from Thrace but I've never heard anyone to say "я(с)" instead of "аз". That's really strange and I can't give an explanation for it. People in Thrace usually speak more softly but never like Macedonians.

Return to “Bulgarian (Български)”