Звук "л"

Moderator:gothwolf

DeRo
Звук "л"

Postby DeRo » 2007-03-20, 17:44

I have a Bulgarian cours of Assimil. The dictiors pronounce "l" something strange there. Like English "w". It resembles me my native Lemko language or Polish. is such pronuciation o.k.?

paruha

Postby paruha » 2007-03-21, 6:48

In some words, yes.
I''m not absolutely sure if that is the the rule, so please someone correct me if I'm wrong.
It depends on the sound that follows. If it's different from "е", "и", "ю", "я", then you use the sound you meantioned. Otherwise it sounds like "ль". I'll write it as l and the first case as "english w", but know that the sounds are different.
Examples:
лодка - "english w"
люлка - first with "l", next with "english w"
селянин - with l
Лили - with l
ластик - "english w"
леля - with l on both
лупа - "english w"
лъскам - "english w"
Защо да харчим пари, които нямаме, за да купим неща, които не са ни нужни, така че да впечатлим хора, които не харесваме?

I don't even remember what standard deviation is.
BezierCurve: It's some important part of sadistics, I believe.

gothwolf
Language Forum Moderator

Postby gothwolf » 2007-03-22, 12:50

paruha wrote:In some words, yes.
I''m not absolutely sure if that is the the rule, so please someone correct me if I'm wrong.
It depends on the sound that follows. If it's different from "е", "и", "ю", "я", then you use the sound you meantioned. Otherwise it sounds like "ль". I'll write it as l and the first case as "english w", but know that the sounds are different.

Yeap!!! That's the rule :wink:

avataar

Postby avataar » 2007-03-25, 17:10

Bulgarian has two л-sounds, a hard and a soft (palatalised) one.
The hard л has two allophones (variants of the same sound), the clear л and the dark л. The clear л is found before front vowels (е, и) and pronounced as the German or Spanish l. The dark л is found before front vowels (а, ъ, о, у), consonants and the end of the word. It is pronounced as л in Russian золото or the old-fashioned (and still heard on stage and in Eastern Poland) pronunciation of Polish ł. Pronouncing the dark л as English w is part of a process called l-vocalisation (that is what happened to Polish ł) and it is common in many younger speakers of Bulgarian. This is, however, still considered wrong pronunciation.
The soft (palatalised) л is written as лю, ля, льо (pronounced љу, ља, љо, where љ is the soft л). It is pronounced as Serbian/Croatian љ/lj, Italian gl and Spanish ll in some Spanish dialects.

I can make some recordings if there's anything unclear.
Ein ring skal styra deim,
ein ring skal finna deim.
Ein ring tvinga deim
og i myrker binda deim
i landet Mordor der skuggane rår.

Return to “Bulgarian (Български)”