Bulgaria

Moderator:gothwolf

Cornflakegirl88
Bulgaria

Postby Cornflakegirl88 » 2007-01-12, 8:48

Heeeeeeeey,
Maybe I'm going on Erasmus to Bulgaria next year, to Veliko Tarnovo.
I was wondering what life is like there, for the students, for the other citizens?
Do the students live on campus or in appartments, where do they spend there time, are there some local traditions?
I just want to know everything! :)

paruha

Postby paruha » 2007-01-15, 22:00

Hi there, Cornflakegirl88!
Aren't you a bit too young for Erasmus? :)

Anyway, Veliko Turnovo is a very nice town of around 70 000 people. It's the old capital of Bulgaria, so there are some places to be seen. I dare say that it's also a tourist destination for many people.
You can see some pictures
http://www.veliko-tarnovo.net/?page=galleries&gal_id=1 (there is more than one page, see the numbers below) which btw you can send as ecards. ;)
I have a friend who studies at that university (I suppose you are talking about the Veliko Turnovo University "Sveti sveti Kiril i Metodij") and as far as I know, she likes it there. :)
Also, as far as I know there are student accommodations but in some ways renting a room is a better choice. The accommodations must be very cheap but the conditions there might be awful (or might be ok, depends on who has lived before you). You'll be surrounded by other students which for me is a big plus, but sometimes it might get too noisy. Well, I'm speaking for Sofia, but I'm pretty sure it won't be much different there. Does the Erasmus program include your stay as in place to live or do you have to pay it yourself?

Well, that's it, basically. I'm not very familiar with the town, I've been there a few times, but I think you'll like it. :)
Защо да харчим пари, които нямаме, за да купим неща, които не са ни нужни, така че да впечатлим хора, които не харесваме?

I don't even remember what standard deviation is.
BezierCurve: It's some important part of sadistics, I believe.

Cornflakegirl88

Postby Cornflakegirl88 » 2007-01-16, 15:33

Hey, thanks for your reply!

Well, too young... I just noticed I have the same birth year as you, hehe.
Anywayz, I skipped a year in school, that's why I started uni earlier and well, next academical year is my third year and we're supposed to do Erasmus in third year if we want too. But since there is no age limit on Erasmus (I think ;)) I want to gooooo :)

Thanks for the site, I had only been surfing around on the tourist one. And yaaaay I can get my way through the Bulgarian version (aaah scares me I might have to be doing exams next year in a language I don't know yet :D)
And I was indeed talking about that University :)

I saw some application form on the University website saying student accomodation was 30 euro's a month and that there was no kitchen in the appartment. So I was like "ooooookay"? But I sent an e-mail to ask where those students eat then :p
Hmmmmm what's so awful about the student accomodation? Are they in a bad state usually or something?
All I worry about is not having to sit in smokey rooms all day, just in case roommates are smoking.... But that's a problem everywhere.
I was thinking of applying for the accomodation since I can't start searching for a room to rent while being here in Belgium.

Oooh I wanted to ask for something else: well, you have internet, but is it common for students to have it?
Do they have it in their rooms or do they go to internet cafés or something? Libraries?
(because I'd be dead without internet...)

Erasmus only allows you to study abroad for some time, you have to find a place to live yourself and pay for it.

Anywayz, thank you for the information and if you know other interesting stuff, let me know!

paruha

Postby paruha » 2007-01-16, 17:51

Hello, again!

I also started school a year earlier, but I guess that then you generally graduate high-school a year before we do here. :)

About the accommodations. Here, in Sofia university, most of the rooms are small and there are three people who share the same room. I've heard that from next year on they might lessen the number to two cause of EU regulations. My rent is about 15e a month (including water and electricity), but it differs from place to place. There are some rooms which are even smaller than mine and two beds, but it's not recommended if you are claustrophobic. :) There is no kitchen in those ones. There are "apartments" with 2 rooms, each with 2 people. All share the same bathroom, but some have a small kitchen-like place. :) But that's about Sofia, I'm not sure if it won't be different in Veliko Tarnovo. There are also very few rooms with balconies. Actually there are some separate blocks with balconies, but they don't randomly give them in my university. You should be married/have a child/have a sibling who's also a student in that town or you just need good grades. Of course, since you are an exchange student things might stand a little bit different.
The students usually eat at canteens (which are also cheap, though sometimes not very tasty), or buy something "ready". You can also play it by ear and cook on your own hot-plate (or if your roommate has and allows you to use it) but it's not very comfortable.
Here, in my university, while filling the documents for an accommodation you can tick if you are a smoker or a non-smoker. They usually divide you so you are among non-smokers, but I know people who live with such although they've ticked they don't smoke. (plus, some people who smoke might lie that they don't in the form etc)
Oh, and I was saying that the accommodations are generally in a bad state. The buildings are old and haven't been renovated for a long time, the furniture is old, there are some bugs sometimes...
About the internet. You should have your own pc/notebook and then you should go to some internet company and tell them you want internet. But it's not included in thew rent. It usually costs from 10 to 15e and it's not very fast. (unless you are in Sofia...). Some students don't have a pc and go to internet cafes or if their faculty/university has computer labs.

That's all... I think. Sorry for my bad English, but I'm tired and in a hurry to eat (outside, as many other students, lol ;)).
Защо да харчим пари, които нямаме, за да купим неща, които не са ни нужни, така че да впечатлим хора, които не харесваме?

Cornflakegirl88

Postby Cornflakegirl88 » 2007-01-16, 19:54

There's nothing wrong with your English! Well as far as I know, of course :)

Mmm we normally graduate in the year we are turning 18
Well the thing about the accomodations in VT said the rooms were for two persons. And about the state of the rooms I won't worry to much ;) As long as I can sleeeep in there :)
Lala, well I'll check out when I arrive whether food is allright in those cantines and otherwise I'm going to haunt the town to find a hot-plate :)
Or maybe those cantines are closed in the weekends when everyone is going home except for meeeeee. Then I'll need something anyway ;)
Ha, cool about the internet, but isn't the university getting angry when you install stuff in their buildings?

Well, I hope your food tasted well, thanks again for all the information and if I wonder about something else I'll tell :)
Now I have to go and study for my Greek exam cause otherwise I won't be going anywhere next year :P
I am really getting excited about it, hehe. Thing is we have to apply next month so I have to get to know everything soon soon soon. And maybe start to learn Bulgarian :P
A friend of mine wants to go to Sofia, I'll show her this page too :)

Lala, thanks for all the info's (I already said that but anywayz), bybye!

paruha

Postby paruha » 2007-01-16, 20:50

Oh yeah, the canteens are not open on the weekend, I forgot to mention that. And don't be so sure everyone goes home on weekend, some people do, especially those within an hour of VT, but some stay and some are from 5 hours away for example (though not so many) and they don't go home every weekend. :) Especially if they are not in year 1. ;)

About the internet... well, it shouldn't be a problem. I mean, why would it be a problem? As far as I don't know the uni itself doesn't offer net...
Good luck on your exam! :)

Cornflakegirl88

Postby Cornflakegirl88 » 2007-01-17, 11:49

Thank you! I'll try my best :)

Ooooh well nice people stay :)
Then there will always be some company around :)
Well I thought maybe they'd make a fuss if you install stuff in rooms you hire, not own.... Like making holes in the walls for the connection or something? I suppose you need a telephone line or something for that... Or an internet connection line or whatever.

Hehe my friend found this a very interesting page ;)
She found out about all the places where you can go from Sofia with the train!
Soooo many places! But I suppose I have to be studying there too, haha.

I just noticed I'm going to have so many subjects when I go there compared to when I get back! Like double! Half of it are languages, so that will be okay, but the other half are like 'normal' subjects which will be in Bulgarian :D
So I suppose I'll better study rather than travel ;)

I reported everything you told to my mum and she was like "Oh my god, and do they have bath rooms then????" :D

Hihihi. Well the more I get to know, the more I want to go!!!!!!
I want to start studying Bulgarian as soon as possible...

Return to “Bulgarian (Български)”