Ukrainian and/or Russian

Moderator:TheStrayCat

Swampertchamp
Ukrainian and/or Russian

Postby Swampertchamp » 2014-07-19, 4:54

Hi, I'm new to this website and I have been having a tough choice between learning Ukrainian or Russian. I love both languages, but I have a much greater interest in Ukrainian :) . The problem comes when the resources for the Ukraine language is sparse.(Unless their are others that I do not know of). While for Russian there are many .
What do I do? :hmm:

riwnodennyk

Re: Ukrainian and/or Russian

Postby riwnodennyk » 2014-08-15, 23:37

That's right. We are always here to help you with learning! :partyhat:

There's a English language course for native Ukrainian-speakers on Duolingo. It's pretty much symmetric, so I've heard that some are using it to learn Ukrainian as well.

For those who have some knowledge of Russian, here’re some cool features of Ukrainian not found in Russian:

1. Future tense form is constructed without any auxiliary words, just one word, and that’s it! E. g. “I [will be sitting]“ (it’s 3 words in English) in Russian will be “я [буду сидеть]” (2 words), but in Ukrainian it’s “я [сидітиму]“. You just add the ending “-му” (-mu) to the verb “sydity” (сидіти) = sit.

2. You’re definitely tired of 6 noun cases in Russian. In Ukrainian we’ve got one more, but don’t be afraid of it, it’s a really cool one! When you’re respecting good old Carnegie’s advices and calling people by names, you use this 7th Vocative case with special ending. E.g. “thanks, Mark” will be “дякую, Марку” (dyakuyu, Marku) and when you’re just about to say to some other person, not directly to Mark, that “Mark has come” you say “Марк прийшов” (Mark pryyshow) => compare Marku and Mark.

3. If you have ever seen anything written in Serbian, Russian, Ukrainian or Bulgarian language, you surely loved the letters that are called Cyrillic. And Ukrainian language has some new for you in comparison to Russian. They are І, Ї, Ґ, Є. The last two are not found in any other languages in the world. Ukrainians are really proud of these two, e. g. there’s such a book-store chain called ” Є “.
Pronunciation is a bit different from Russian. “ Г ” letter is not like ” G ” as in Russian, but rather like English or German ” H “. The ” О ” in unstressed syllables never becomes ” A “, but remains close to ” O “. So generally Ukrainian is easier than Russian to pronounce and spell correctly. “Read how it’s written” rule usually works here.

4. To Russians it makes no difference between “better” and “the best“. They both are “лучший” , but in Ukrainian the difference is strict, it’s “кращий” and “найкращий“.
Native [flag=]uk[/flag], OK [flag=]be.Tara[/flag] [flag=]en[/flag] [flag=]pl[/flag], Some [flag=]de[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag], Beginner [flag=]tr[/flag] [flag=]ro[/flag], Kudos to [flag=]crh[/flag] [flag=]ca[/flag] [flag=]ga[/flag] [flag=]eu[/flag]

Return to “Ukrainian (Українська)”