wedding congratulations

Moderator:TheStrayCat

ChristineS
wedding congratulations

Postby ChristineS » 2011-03-04, 5:40

Hi everybody, I'm new on the site.
Tomorrow I'm invited to an ukrainian wedding. I would like to write something nice in Ukrainian (I can use the cyrillic alphabet - learned some Russian many many years ago...). I know to bride to-be but not the groom, both are Ukrainian. They are both in their 40's, second wedding for both.
2 sentences will be great. Could be a quotation from a well-known poem or song. Any ideas, someone ? This is important to me because the bride could be my son's mother-in-law in the future... :D
In exchange I can help in French (my mother language and I'm a literature editor), my English and my Hebrew are decent too.
Thanks in advance. Have a great day.

TheStrayCat
Language Forum Moderator

Re: wedding congratulations

Postby TheStrayCat » 2011-03-11, 17:08

ChristineS wrote:Hi everybody, I'm new on the site.
Tomorrow I'm invited to an ukrainian wedding. I would like to write something nice in Ukrainian (I can use the cyrillic alphabet - learned some Russian many many years ago...). I know to bride to-be but not the groom, both are Ukrainian. They are both in their 40's, second wedding for both.
2 sentences will be great. Could be a quotation from a well-known poem or song. Any ideas, someone ? This is important to me because the bride could be my son's mother-in-law in the future... :D
In exchange I can help in French (my mother language and I'm a literature editor), my English and my Hebrew are decent too.
Thanks in advance. Have a great day.

Hello!
After some googling I bumped into this collection of greetings for weddings. As you can see, its content is mostly songs with best wishes, also something like that can be found here.

But remember that though the Ukrainian language shares almost all the glyphs with Russian, the way they're pronounced is sometimes different (just for example, Ukrainian и is close to Russian ы). However, it wouldn't take long to learn these distinctions from Wikipedia and impress your friends with your perfect pronunciation ;).

Maybe, you're interested in learning more about what those songs mean - if you can read Russian, applying an autotranslator to them will help you (the grammar is close enough to have the text fairly undistorted). Also, feel free to contact me regarding any questions about Ukrainian you have.

Have a good time there! :)

Max.

ChristineS

Re: wedding congratulations

Postby ChristineS » 2011-03-13, 15:39

Thank you Max for answering and suggesting ukrainian sites. I had a look and I certainly would have found what I needed there (with the help of a translation :lol: ). Since the wedding was a week ago, I went for the easy way and managed to find a suitable proverb in a bilingual (English-Ukrainian) edition of 'Treasury of Ukrainian Love : Poems, Quotations and Proverbs' by Helen Turkewicz-Sanko. My effort was very much appreciated, which was nice !
Thanks again.
Christine

Return to “Ukrainian (Українська)”