Vienamese fonts and typefaces

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator
Vienamese fonts and typefaces

Postby OldBoring » 2016-01-03, 14:42

Is what is written here true?
That Unicode fonts, VNI fonts, and other kinds of fonts are not compatible, that is if I google something written with a font, results in other fonts will be ignored? :shock:

Also what fonts do you think are better for readability?
I've sent packages to Vietnam printing the address on an A4 sheet to be pasted on the package (cause I'm not comfortable at writing all those letters with diacritics by hand).
The first time I used Times New Roman, and I didn't like the font at all. For example with the combination of the circumflex and the acute and grave accent, they were all put one on top of the other, "mashing" the letter letting it become "shorter" in height. But good thing is the address was readable and the package arrived at destination.

This time I used a serif font (I forgot which one) narrower than Times New Roman, and I see that diacritics are already better, with the acute accent put on the right (slightly top with a slight space) off the circumflex accent, and the grave accent on the left (also on top with a space) off the circumflex, while the vowel letter still occupied the normal amount of space.

More importantly: what do you use for typing? Is it true that in the Centre they prominently use Telex, and in the South prominently VNI?
Which one is easier? Which one do you advise to a beginner?

Cảm ơn!

Bubulus

Re: Vienamese fonts and typefaces

Postby Bubulus » 2016-01-03, 18:36

OldBoring wrote:Is what is written here true?
That Unicode fonts, VNI fonts, and other kinds of fonts are not compatible, that is if I google something written with a font, results in other fonts will be ignored? :shock:

I don't see where you're reading that in that thread... Aren't all those fonts (VNI, Telex, etc.) Unicode-compatible?

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Vienamese fonts and typefaces

Postby OldBoring » 2016-01-05, 13:24

No, they aren't. At least according to the Vietnamese guy who replied in that forum.
Phong Le wrote:Any difference, and if there is, is it very important?
A: No difference, but if you google the same word by diferent font, you have different results, same in word file or pdf file. If the text is in Unicode font and you search by VNI font, no result.

In my understanding, Unicode and VNI font are the most popular. If you google for the same text in unicode font, you will find more results, then less in VNI font and then less in other.

Example: If I google "city" in Vietnamese:

1) by unicode: 128.000.000 results
2) by VNI: 195.000 results
3) TCVN ABC: 148.000 results

Maybe you confused the input methods with the encoding.
VNI is both the name of an encoding (prior to Unicode I guess) and the name of an input method.
So VNI fonts are designed to work under VNI encoding, Unicode fonts under Unicode. Then there are other minor encodings too.
On the other hand, you can also type Unicode fonts using a VNI input method.

While Telex is just an input method, not an encoding.

Return to “South East Asian Languages”