Thai (ไทย)

הענט
Re: translation

Postby הענט » 2013-04-16, 18:15

Yes. They did probably. :) Thank you.

sukritact

Re: Thai (ไทย)

Postby sukritact » 2013-07-02, 14:20

Wow, the Thai subforum was merged into a single thread? This is gonna be confusing! :ohwell:
I'm most fluent in English (native-ish?) and I'm also fluent in Thai (native, although not as good as my English). Reasonable level of fluency in Mandarin Chinese and Spanish and an aspiring learner of Swedish.

Halfdan

Postby Halfdan » 2013-07-02, 19:29

sukritact wrote:Wow, the Thai subforum was merged into a single thread? This is gonna be confusing! :ohwell:

A pity, really, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-07-04, 16:20

When was there ever a Thai subforum?
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-07-05, 1:14

It was actually a sub-forum for quite awhile. You never noticed?

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-07-05, 3:00

księżycowy wrote:It was actually a sub-forum for quite awhile. You never noticed?
No, but I wasn't interested in Thai back then. When was it removed?
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2013-07-05, 11:53

A while back, like 3 months ago? Along with Armenian and others. What happened was the subfora that lacked in activities got axed, or merged.
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-07-05, 12:22

I was actually going to say less then that. Has it been much over a month? :hmm:

Either way, it was fairly recent.

sukritact

Postby sukritact » 2013-07-10, 14:50

Personally, I wonder if we might have gotten more activity if the language had a proper transliteration/transcription system.
I'm most fluent in English (native-ish?) and I'm also fluent in Thai (native, although not as good as my English). Reasonable level of fluency in Mandarin Chinese and Spanish and an aspiring learner of Swedish.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-07-10, 14:58

I highly doubt that's the issue. It's most likely just the fact that most people that learn Asian languages learn the "big" ones (i.e. Japanese, Chinese, Korean).

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2013-07-27, 5:41

สวัสดีครับ It's too bad this isn't a subforum anymore. I'd love to improve my Thai. Maybe I can get some more people here interested in Thai, though, heh heh :P

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-07-27, 5:45

I'm interested in it, but I don't think I can commit to it. Like ksiezycowy says, I feel like I should be focusing more on the "big three" Asian languages, because they're so time-consuming and difficult. I don't even feel like doing Cantonese or Vietnamese because of them.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

sukritact

Postby sukritact » 2013-07-27, 17:25

As a side note; what is wrong with the Thai country tag? Why in heaven's name is it displaying "เทศไทย"?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-07-27, 19:08

While I have a mild interest in Thai, I doubt I'd take the time to learn it. I'm kind of with modgethanc here.

musket

Postby musket » 2013-09-28, 23:57

สวัสดีครับทุกคน

This is my first post, I'm Malaysian and be interested to learn Thai, the language of my neighbour country up north. Had visited Thai seldomly, and knowledge of spoken Thai is very handy for me.

ไปก่อนนะครับ
Native Language: Bahasa Malaysia
Fluent Language: English
Currently learning: Thai Language

Wit.S

Postby Wit.S » 2013-11-28, 8:14

Hi all,

Native Thai speaker here. PM me any questions you've got and I'll try to answer them at best I can!

ยินดีที่ได้รู้จักทุกคนครับ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2013-12-05, 6:40

musket, Wit*,

สวัสดีครับ ผมก็ยินดีที่ได้รู้จักพวกนายครับ ผมเรียนภาษาไทยครับ ที่นี่มีชานตัดผมคนหนึ่งครับ เป็นคนไทยแล้วก็เพื่อนของครอบครัวผมครับ พรุ่งนี้ผมจะไปตัดผมแล้วก็พูดภาษาไทยกับเขาครับ :wink:

*เขียนอย่างไร "วิต" ใช่ไหมครับ

ling

Postby ling » 2013-12-11, 7:00

vijayjohn wrote:musket, Wit*,

สวัสดีครับ ผมก็ยินดีที่ได้รู้จักพวกนายครับ ผมเรียนภาษาไทยครับ ที่นี่มีชานตัดผมคนหนึ่งครับ เป็นคนไทยแล้วก็เพื่อนของครอบครัวผมครับ พรุ่งนี้ผมจะไปตัดผมแล้วก็พูดภาษาไทยกับเขาครับ :wink:

*เขียนอย่างไร "วิต" ใช่ไหมครับ

I've only studied Thai for about a year, and not very diligently over the last few months :( (work is too busy lately), so I make no claim of expertise in any way, shape or form.

But I think "barber" is ช่างตัดผม.
Native: [flag=]en[/flag] Advanced: [flag=]zh[/flag] Actively studying: [flag=]th[/flag][flag=]id[/flag] Passively dabbling: [flag=]lkt[/flag]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2013-12-14, 4:42

Oh geez, I'm sorry. You're absolutely right. I always screw that word up! How ironic that I keep screwing up words (if I even know them at all) that are related to the profession of the one person I ever speak it with! :lol:

sukritact

Postby sukritact » 2013-12-15, 20:06

vijayjohn wrote:สวัสดีครับ ผมก็ยินดีที่ได้รู้จักพวกนายครับ ผมเรียนภาษาไทยครับ ที่นี่มีชานตัดผมคนหนึ่งครับ เป็นคนไทยแล้วก็เพื่อนของครอบครัวผมครับ พรุ่งนี้ผมจะไปตัดผมแล้วก็พูดภาษาไทยกับเขาครับ
I hope you don't mind me commenting on this.

ผมก็ยินดีที่ได้รู้จักพวกคุณ/ท่านครับ
"พวกนาย", a phrase in the casual register, sounds strange here IMHO, since you've started with "ผม", which is in the formal register.

ผมเรียนภาษาไทยอยู่ครับ
A bit strange, since it's the equivalent of declaring "I study Thai" as opposed to "I'm studying Thai", though it feels a more awkward in Thai than in English.

ที่นี่มีช่างตัดผมคนหนึ่งครับ เป็นคนไทยและเพื่อนของครอบครัวผมครับ
"แล้วก็" means "and then".

This feels strange phrased as two distinct statements. I probably would have said "ที่นี่มีช่างตัดผมคนหนึ่งที่เป็นคนไทยและเป็นเพื่อนของครอบครัวผม". If you do want to keep it two distinct statements however, introduce "เขา" at the beginning of the second statement.

Return to “South East Asian Languages”