Thai (ไทย)

tflath
Thai (ไทย)

Postby tflath » 2002-08-22, 3:55

I was wondering what you would use in Thai to say "to look forward to" or "looking forward to..." . Also, please type it in Thai so I know how to spell it. Thanks!

Travis

Sou

thai

Postby Sou » 2002-08-24, 1:08

Hi Travis

Sorry for the delayed response, I was away for almost a week.

looking forward to = หวังเป็นอย่างยิ่ง...

I am looking forward to meeting you
ผม(ดิฉัน)หวังเป็นอย่างยิ่งที่จะได้พบคุณ

I am looking forward to hearing from you
ผม(ดิฉัน)หวังเป็นอย่างยิ่งว่าจะได้รับคำตอบจากคุณ

:)
Sous l'ombre de Bouddha, je prends refuge.
Sous l'ombre de Dharma, je prends refuge.
Sous l'ombre de Sangha, je prends refuge.

Sou

Thai language and culture

Postby Sou » 2003-01-03, 16:40

สวัสดี!

Sawaddii and Welcome to THAI LANGUAGE AND CULTURE learning group, we are located in a small, modest room under 'Virtual School of Languages' inside the Community of Unilang.

I am Sou, and will be your host here. This learning group is to fulfill my own needs of teaching Thai language, as well as the culture, to people who wantto start learning, or to people who already knew some and want to know more of it.

This learning group is not only mine. It's for all of us, so please don't hesitate to pose your questions, state your opinions, and share your ideas here.

Before we start the feast, please let us know each other, and how the lessons will be like. I need your opinions and ideas.

Thank you!

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2003-01-03, 16:45

How do I type Thai? :-)

SCUnipad, maybe?
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2003-01-03, 17:50

Luis wrote:How do I type Thai? :-)

SCUnipad, maybe?

SCUnipad offers the possibility to type Thai.

But what kind of alternatives exist?

Junesun

Postby Junesun » 2003-01-03, 21:20

Thank you, Sou, for starting this group.

Tjan benn konn yeroman. Tjan tjorp riyen pasa thai. Tjan kiyen pasa thai mai dai :-(

As you can see, I'm a total beginner and I just know a few letters of the Thai alphabet so far (trying to learn them with the Seaside course) because I used a voice-based approach before discovering the Seaside course.

I noticed that after a lot of sentences in the courses, there's the word "krap", which is said to be for politeness. Do you put it at the end of every sentence or just when addressing somebody else or what rules are there?

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2003-01-03, 21:39

Seaside Course? What Seaside course? :?:
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2003-01-04, 2:12

Here: http://www.seasite.niu.edu/Thai/. That's one of the sources for the (little) Thai I've ever learnt. It's a very good website, by the way—though Sou can judge it better than I can. :)
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

ekalin

Postby ekalin » 2003-01-04, 13:03

Junesun wrote:I noticed that after a lot of sentences in the courses, there's the word "krap", which is said to be for politeness.

Sorry for disrupting a serious thread with uninportant stuff, but this surely should be added to that thread "Opposite meaning when it comes to a different language" (or something similar). :-)

Sou

Postby Sou » 2003-01-06, 4:24

Friends,

I'm sure that Thai teaching site at seasite.niu.edu is clear and comprehensive. BUT I am not able to read the Thai font provided there. I have plenty of Thai fonts here (yeah sure) but this one really confuses me.

Sou

Postby Sou » 2003-01-06, 4:44

FEAST 1 - WHAT WE HAVE TO KNOW BEFORE LEARNING THAI (just to scare you off a bit :lol: )

1. Thai is polytonal monosyllabic - Every Thai native word is composed of only ONE syllable. Polysyllabic words used in the language are mostly derived from foreign languages (Pali, Sanskrit, Old Khmer (Kom), Chinese, Old Malay, Old Persian, English, French, Arabic and Portuguese)

ex.

Thai native
กิน - {Kin-} - to eat
นอน - {nOOn-} - to lie down (sleep)
เท้า - {taaw/} - a foot
พ่อ - {pOO^} - a father
แม่ - {mææ^} - a mother
ไป - {Pai-} - to go
ใน - {nai-} - in
และ - {læ/} - and

Derived words
ราชา - {raa-chaa-} - King (Sanskrit - from raja)
ราชินี - {raa-chi/nii-} - Queen (Sanskrit - from rajini)
กุมาร - {Ku\maan-} - Son (Sanskrit - from kumar)
ดำเนิน - {dam-nøøn-} - to walk/to go (Old khmer - from dørr)
แล้ว - {lææw/} - already (Chinese - from liao)
พรุ - {pru/} - forest (Old Malay - from baruh)
ลิเก - {li/Kee-} - Thai traditional drama (Old Persian)
คอมพิวเตอร์ - {kOm-piw/tøø^} - computer (English)
ลิฟท์ - {lib/} - lift/elevator (English)
ขนมปัง - {ka-nom~pang-} - Bread (Portuguese - from pão)

2. Thai language has 5 different tones - an identical word (regardless its tones) can have 5 different meanings when tones are applied.

ex.

2.1 Neutral {-}
2.2 Falling {\}
2.3 Rising and Falling {^}
2.4 Rising {/}
2.5 Falling and Rising {~}

คา - {kaa-} - being stuck
ข่า - {kaa\} - ginger
ฆ่า - {kaa^} - to kill
ค้า - {kaa/} - doing commerce
ขา - {kaa~} - leg

to be continued...
Last edited by Sou on 2003-01-06, 9:08, edited 1 time in total.

Sou

Postby Sou » 2003-01-06, 4:52

3. Thai language has 5 different levels of vocabulary, not by manners of use, but it is divided by usage of nouns and verbs

ex

3.1 Royalty - เสวย {sa-wøøj~} - to eat
3.2 Nobility - รับประทาน {rab/pra-taan-} - to eat
3.3 Monkhood - ฉัน {chan~} - to eat
3.4 Normal speaking - กิน {Kin-} - to eat
3.5 Low-level speaking - แดก {dææK} - to eat

Sou

Postby Sou » 2003-01-06, 9:02

4. Thai language has 44 consonants [20 phonems and 1 mute (glottal stop)] and 32 forms of vowel (9 long, 9 short vowels ; 9 short and 5 long diphtongs)

Consonants:
ก ข ฃ ค ฅ
ฆ ง จ ฉ ช
ซ ฌ ญ ฎ ฏ
ฐ ฑ ฒ ณ ด
ต ถ ท ธ น
บ ป ผ ฝ พ
ฟ ภ ม ย ร
ล ว ศ ษ ส
ห ฬ อ ฮ

Pronunciation of each initial consonant (the greens are phonetics used in the course (case sensitive)):

like spanish Calor - K - ก
like english Kettle- k - ข ฃ ค ฅ ฆ
like english siNGing - ng - ง
like english Jam - c - จ
like english CHat - ch - ฉ ช ฌ
like english Sun - s - ซ ศ ษ ส
like german Jahr - j - ญ ย
like english Did - d - ฎ ด
like english Tone - t - ฐ ฑ ฒ ถ ท ธ
like english Nun - n - ณ น
like english Butter - b - บ
like spanish Padre - P - ป
like english Pound - p - ผ พ ภ
like english Fan - f - ฝ ฟ
like english Man - m - ม
semi-rolled R - r - ร
like french Les - l - ล ฬ
like english Will - w - ว
like english Home - h - ห ฮ
no phonetic for glottal stop - - อ

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2003-03-14, 5:10

สวีสดีครับ

During this time I was away from the Internet, the only language I had enough material to read about offline was Thai, and so I've spent quite a lot of my free time reading about it and trying to 'get the hang' of it. I'm now very happy for finally being able to recognize most of the letters correctly—though I'm still struggling to learn by heart how to guess the tones using the spelling (hopefully, though, it'll just take some time :) ). Anyway, since I may start spending some time here, too, I thought I might ask a couple of questions (though I believe not all are directly related to the language itself).

1. I can't remember whether there are more Thai members in Unilang, so I'm asking this to Sou (and Anne) only—how do you spell your name (and nickname) in Thai?

2. I guess the first thing I've ever read about Thai was about its lack of punctuation marks and spaces between words (as Westerners know them). However, when reading around, I've found out some people do use some, such as exclamation and question marks, inverted commas and even suspension points. Are such marks getting their way into the Thai language now or is that for the colloquial / Internet usage only? And are the traditional Thai numbers (๑ ๒ ๓ ๔ ๕ ๖, etc.) really being replaced by '1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc'?

3. With such a large number of consonants (and even a couple of vowels) sharing the same pronunciation (such as ส ศ ษ ซ, or ไอ ใอ อัย ไอย), how hard is spelling for the native speakers themselves?

4. How formal (or not) should I be when talking to you guys? :) A good example might be which pronouns to use for 1st and 2nd person... ผม, ฉัน, กระผม or เค้า? เธอ, คุณ or ท่าน? Or maybe neither? :?

ขอบคุณครับ
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

Sou

Postby Sou » 2003-03-15, 11:29

สวัสดีครับ เซว (Hello Ceu)

In the name of Thai people, I'm so proud that I'm here to have your questions answered.

1. I'm not sure if there are more Thai members here, but it seems that anne and me are the only active ones. Well, I've found one girl named 'linly' or 'lily' here in the memberslist of the year 2000, of course, before the first exodus. That caused all members to re-register to the Unilang. -- Oh about our nicknames, my nick 'Sou' is pronounced {Soo-}, so it can be simply written as 'โซ', or a more complicated version 'โซว์'. Anne's name is quite easy, it's 'แอน' {ææn-}. :)

2. You're right, Thai doesn't even have a comma or a period (full stop). The hyphen (dash) exists, but it's very rare though. The exclamation and question marks we're using now are the fruit of western influences that came along during the first period of Thai-Portuguese trade. And we lose spaces between words too. But that kinda makes sense, we replace such punctuation marks with a space.

Examples:
- "ทำไมท่านมาอยู่ตรงนี้ล่ะ" นายพรานพร้อมกับเพื่อนอีก ๒ คน กล่าว
- "Why are you here?" Said hunter and his 2 friends.

- ภาษาไทยถิ่นแบ่งออกได้ ๔ ภาษาคร่าวๆ คือ ภาษาไทยกลาง ภาษาเหนือ ภาษาใต้ และภาษาอิสาน
- Thai dialects are roughly divided in 4 dialects: Central Thai, Northern Thai, Southern Thai and Northeastern Thai.

About numbers, we use the hindu-arabic numeric system, so all can be converted V/V. (N.B. we use the comma and decimal point like this: 1,521.25 and not 1.521,25)

3. This issue would be of the same case with French, for it has so many words that sound the same, same problem, same solution :)

สาร - สาน - สาส์น - ศานต์ --- all sound {saan~} (a medium - to weave - official paper - peaceful)

4. Thai culture cares a bit about seniority/age. So you use the right pronoun with your interlocutors. Psi, you can use เรา (I) and นาย (you) with me, and with no ครับ. This is polite enough.

Looking forward to some more problems :)

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2003-03-15, 20:11

ขอบใจจ้ะ โซ* It's very interesting to read everything you've so kindly written. :)

Sou wrote:3. This issue would be of the same case with French, for it has so many words that sound the same, same problem, same solution :)

Good to know that—I'll be more 'comfortable' whenever I happen to misspell a word myself (and it'll certainly happen at a quite high rate!). ;)

Sou wrote:4. Thai culture cares a bit about seniority/age. So you use the right pronoun with your interlocutors.

My problem with Asian languages and their highly specific relations with age and social position is that, being afraid of not being polite enough, I ended up being too formal all the time! :( But that does need some getting used to, right?

Sou wrote:Psi, you can use เรา (I) and นาย (you) with me, and with no ครับ. This is polite enough.

Two more pronouns to write down them—I thought 'เรา' meant 'we' only, and I hadn't met 'นาย' yet.

Sou wrote:Looking forward to some more problems :)

Thanks for the time to solve them. :)

* you can see I'm also a bit lost with the tons of 'thank you' expressions I've bumped into these last few days... :(

Sou

Postby Sou » 2003-03-15, 20:34

Psi wrote:ขอบใจจ้ะ โซ

This is kinda feminine (Sorry if you meant that it meant to be). It's often used by women, or men to women.

Psi wrote:I ended up being too formal all the time!

Being formal when times you don't have to, is somehow far far better than being an AH when you have to polite :)

Psi wrote:I thought 'เรา' meant 'we' only, and I hadn't met 'นาย' yet.

นาย is 'you' (masc) cordially, and เรา can be both 'I' and 'we'

As for 'THANK YOU's stuff. We only have 2 thanks here. One is ขอบคุณ. The other is 'ขอบใจ', the rest is you put the endings ครับ คะ ค่ะ จ้ะ จ๋า จ๊ะ ว่ะ วะ เว้ย :)

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2003-03-16, 0:44

โซ wrote:
Psi wrote:ขอบใจจ้ะ โซ

This is kinda feminine (Sorry if you meant that it meant to be). It's often used by women, or men to women.

Here I go again, into the traps of gender-oriented languages... :oops: After struggling with Japanese, Thai will be certainly a good challenge on that. Blame on my notes though, because I had:

ขอบใจจ้ะ - thanks (between friends and acquainted people)

I should check more than one source when just writing down things I bump into. Thanks a lot for poiting that, Sou, as I did not really mean it that way. ;)

โซ wrote:As for 'THANK YOU's stuff. We only have 2 thanks here. One is ขอบคุณ. The other is 'ขอบใจ'

So, just checking... In my notes I've written:

ขอบคุณ - thank you (to someone of higher status)
ขอบใจ - thank you (to someone of lower status)

Would that be correct or have I misunderstood something (again)?

Sou

Postby Sou » 2003-03-16, 10:55

Psi wrote:Blame on my notes though

Hehe :wink: I don't blame on anything. This is what we're very proud of. As Thai is easy when we talk about grammar (grammatical tenses, modes, genders, numbers and all that), but on the usage, we add so many small culture-related portions into the language, e.g. seniority, gender-orientation, emotional, language level (formal/informal).

Psi wrote:Would that be correct or have I misunderstood something (again)?

You are absolutely correct, but remember, there are always something about sarcasm too. We use too much sarcasms :twisted: :D

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2003-03-16, 22:21

Sou wrote:We use too much sarcasms :twisted: :D

You're scaring me! :shock: :) :wink:

Some other points I've got to think, if I may...

1. I'm told that, when using classifiers (I just love those in Eastern languages, even though they can be a pain to get straight), once the noun in the conversation's been made clear, the noun itself can be skipped and the classifier itself will do by itself, such as in:

อรดา "หนังสือเหล่านี้แพงไหมคะ"
แอน "เส่มใหญ่แพงค่ะ เล่มเล็กไม่แพง"

Is that correct?

2. How do Thai give full dates? I've read about how to tell the days of the week, the months and even how to calculate the year, but not how to give the day of the month or how to put it all together... :( How would I say, for instance, 'Today is 16th March 2003.'

Today = วันนี้
March = มีนาคม
A. D. 2003 = พ.ศ. 2546

3. Is 'อรดา' a common Thai name?

TIA! :)

Return to “South East Asian Languages”