Burmese

księżycowy
Re: Burmese

Postby księżycowy » 2011-06-26, 13:25

księżycowy wrote:That's what I'm doing with Taiwanese after all.

I'll point out, however I'm not really memorizing the romanization system in my one textbook.
Though when I get to my other textbooks I'll pick up some POJ and a few characters.

Balaur

Postby Balaur » 2011-06-28, 16:26

Cesare M. wrote:Also Balaur, everything in the Lonely Planet phrasebook is correct except for the romanization, and as well, I know language learners that they learn the script of a language after they learn at least how to speak and say basic things, so it's not like everyone must learn the script first。

I wasn't saying there's anything wrong with Lonely Planet. Lonely Planet is good, but I'm saying that if the majority of your Burmese came from that source alone, then you really don't have much to offer anyone, do you? A phrasebook may contain a lot of useful everyday vocabulary, but there isn't much there in terms of extended conversation and it's also quite limited in grammatical structures. Also, Lonely Planet has no audio, and since you seem to have relied chiefly on romanization, I'm guessing your pronunciation is pretty poor. You're right, the script is not the most important thing, but it should really be learned as soon as possible in my opinion, and a lot of people, perhaps the majority, learn the script from the start, so you couldn't help anyone there either. And I don't even need to mention that if your Burmese was learned from little or nothing more than a phrasebook, no one's going to have confidence in your knowledge of Burmese, no matter what you claim. We can really just buy the phrasebook for ourselves.
Vă rog să mă corectați dacă fac o greșeală în orice limbă. // Вэ рог сэ мэ коректаць дакэ фак о грешялэ ын орьче лимбэ. // Please correct me if I make a mistake in any language. // Bitte korrigiert mich, wenn ich einen Fehler in irgendeiner Sprache mache. // 請改正我任何語言中的錯誤。 // 请改正我任何语言中的错误。 // Παρακαλώ να με διορθώνουν αν κάνω ένα λάθο σε οποιηδήποτε γλώσσα.

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2011-06-28, 18:50

n/a
Last edited by Unknown on 2011-12-16, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.

モモンガ

Postby モモンガ » 2011-09-18, 18:21

I have dabbled with Burmese a little.
You can try to learn the script on seasite website.
You need to install two fonts.
Even if you already have one.
[flag]tr[/flag]Türkçe [flag]vi[/flag]㗂越[flag]lo[/flag]ພາສາລາວ[flag]tet[/flag]Prasa Tetun

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2011-10-19, 2:06

မဂႆလာပၝ, ဟုတ်ကဲ့, အခု,ကန်ဝတာ်မြန်မာအက္ခရာ၎ေတတ်ဟ်၊ ကန်ဝတာ်ဗမာစကားနေကာင် ပြောတဟ်, လည်, ခင်ဗျားတို့/ၡင်ေနးတို့ဗမာစကားသင်လိုချင်ပါရာ်, ေကျးဇူးပြုပြီးေြဟတဟ်ပါ, လည်, ကန်ဝတာ်ခင်ဗျားတို့/ၡင်ေနးကူဉာီမယ်။ ေကျးဇူးတင်ပါတယ်။ :)
Last edited by Unknown on 2011-10-29, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.

Imyirtseshem

Postby Imyirtseshem » 2011-10-22, 9:07

Last edited by Imyirtseshem on 2012-05-08, 3:05, edited 1 time in total.

モモンガ

Postby モモンガ » 2011-10-25, 22:47

Cesare M. wrote:မဂႆလာပၝ, ဟုတ်ကဲ့, အခု,ကန်ဝတာ်မြန်မာအက္ခရာ၎ေတတ်ဟ်၊ ကန်ဝတာ်ဗမာစကားနေကာင် ေြဟတဟ်, လည်, ခင်ဗျားတို့/ၡင်ေနးတို့ဗမာစကားသင်လိုချင်ပါရာ်, ေကျးဇူးပြုပြီးေြဟတဟ်ပါ, လည်, ကန်ဝတာ်ခင်ဗျားတို့/ၡင်ေနးကူဉာီမယ်။ ေကျးဇူးတင်ပါတယ်။ :)

مەن ميانمار تىلىنى بىلمايمەن.

but It's good that you managed to learn it, it's an interesting language.

Linux installation of Burmese fonts:

click, click, type Burmese, click, click, click, click, refresh this page. Done!

Yes, Linux is good at foreign fonts, I have not installed anything, and I had Cantonese Characters from the start.
[flag]tr[/flag]Türkçe [flag]vi[/flag]㗂越[flag]lo[/flag]ພາສາລາວ[flag]tet[/flag]Prasa Tetun

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2011-10-27, 18:01

モモンガ wrote:
Cesare M. wrote:မဂႆလာပၝ, ဟုတ်ကဲ့, အခု,ကန်ဝတာ်မြန်မာအက္ခရာ၎ေတတ်ဟ်၊ ကန်ဝတာ်ဗမာစကားနေကာင် ေြဟတဟ်, လည်, ခင်ဗျားတို့/ၡင်ေနးတို့ဗမာစကားသင်လိုချင်ပါရာ်, ေကျးဇူးပြုပြီးေြဟတဟ်ပါ, လည်, ကန်ဝတာ်ခင်ဗျားတို့/ၡင်ေနးကူဉာီမယ်။ ေကျးဇူးတင်ပါတယ်။ :)

مەن ميانمار تىلىنى بىلمايمەن.

but It's good that you managed to learn it, it's an interesting language.

Thanks, and by the way, very good Kazakh. :) If you need any help in Burmese let me know and I'll be happy to help. :)

モモンガ

Postby モモンガ » 2011-10-28, 13:12

Thanks, hmm, Actually it was supposed to be Uyghur, but i am just a beginner.

Well, I need to learn Burmese script first I think.

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2011-10-28, 13:40

モモンガ wrote:Thanks, hmm, Actually it was supposed to be Uyghur, but i am just a beginner.

Well, I need to learn Burmese script first I think.

Oh ok, well what you wrote in Uyghur is the same thing in Kazakh so good job :) Also you don't have to learn the script right away. For me it's better to learn how to say some stuff first before learning the script, but then again, to each his own. ;)

モモンガ

Postby モモンガ » 2011-10-31, 16:09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3McoyGA4SI
hip girl with spectacles teaches you Burmese

I believe script is very portant part of the language, especially with Brumese, when the transcription is much more complicated.

from Wikipedia
Wikipedia wrote:Diglossia occurs to a large extent in Burmese and is fairly noticeable in writing and speech. The written/literary form of Burmese has undergone only a few changes and tends not to accommodate the spoken/colloquial phonology of standard Burmese today. The Burmese saying "the pronunciation is merely the sound, whilst the orthography is correct" (ရေးတော့အမှန်၊ ဖတ်တော့အသံ [jé dɔ̰ ʔəm̥àɴ pʰaʔ tɔ̰ ʔəθàɴ]) reflects the differences between spoken and written Burmese, as spelling is often not an accurate reflection of pronunciation.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-11-02, 17:33

モモンガ wrote:I believe script is very portant part of the language, especially with Brumese, when the transcription is much more complicated.

from Wikipedia
Wikipedia wrote:Diglossia occurs to a large extent in Burmese and is fairly noticeable in writing and speech. The written/literary form of Burmese has undergone only a few changes and tends not to accommodate the spoken/colloquial phonology of standard Burmese today. The Burmese saying "the pronunciation is merely the sound, whilst the orthography is correct" (ရေးတော့အမှန်၊ ဖတ်တော့အသံ [jé dɔ̰ ʔəm̥àɴ pʰaʔ tɔ̰ ʔəθàɴ]) reflects the differences between spoken and written Burmese, as spelling is often not an accurate reflection of pronunciation.

That's a very good point. The Burmese writing system can be quite different from the spoken language, thus it's best to learn to spell and say things together (perhaps waiting a little to learn how to spell) [unless you only want to speak it]. At least that's how I'd learn the language. If I ever get around to it. :P

But it hardly matters as long as one understands that fact, and uses the right resource(s). My method is probably based on the fact I find the writing system very fascinating.

モモンガ

Postby モモンガ » 2011-11-04, 12:43

Actually I don't even know which type of language my textbooks teach :hmm:
Moreover it's hard to find native speakers even on the Internet.
And the script used to be not supported for a long time by computers!
Despite being the script of 60 million of people! (maybe less, since some minorities uses different systems).

Chekhov

Postby Chekhov » 2011-11-04, 23:24

If you knew anything whatsoever about Burma, you'd know why it's so difficult to find speakers of the language on the internet.
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-11-04, 23:36

モモンガ wrote:Actually I don't even know which type of language my textbooks teach :hmm:

If it has the writing system in it, it teaches both. Though the emphasis might be more on the spoken language (if not exclusively). If the textbook is worth the paper it's printed on it's going to spell everything in Burmese in the literary way, not spoken.

If you knew anything whatsoever about Burma, you'd know why it's so difficult to find speakers of the language on the internet.

And this.

モモンガ

Postby モモンガ » 2011-11-09, 14:56

Hm, Actually they use only Burmese text through the book.
It's a Chinese textbook.

Of course Burma is closed to the world, but Vietnam is under regime too, but finding Vietnamese over the net is easy.
:hmm:

Nevertheless, they said that Burma is in the process of democratization.

I recently read about a language Called Shan, which is spoken in Burma, it has 3 million of speakers, but there is only one book for it.... written 100 years ago.

Draver posted on what you are currently reading thread, link to this website

http://www.aeinstein.org/organizationsVietFDTD.html

they have quite a selection of books, including Burmese, and some Minority Burmese languages.

jehowa witnesses also have Burmese books.

Chekhov

Postby Chekhov » 2011-11-10, 3:19

Of course Burma is closed to the world, but Vietnam is under regime too, but finding Vietnamese over the net is easy.
Every country in the world is under a regime of some sort. The Burmese one is just particularly repressive. Vietnam may be communist but it's not nearly as restrictive, and there are large communities of speakers overseas, unlike the Burmese.

Seriously, you're just an idiot.
Nevertheless, they said that Burma is in the process of democratization.
Protip: I wouldn't trust anything the Burmese government says. As in, literally nothing.
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

モモンガ

Postby モモンガ » 2011-11-12, 21:43

獅山の黄帝 wrote:Oh ok, well what you wrote in Uyghur is the same thing in Kazakh so good job Also you don't have to learn the script right away. For me it's better to learn how to say some stuff first before learning the script, but then again, to each his own.

黄帝さん、あのねー
多くの教材にはその意見が強いと思うんだけど、僕はそれが必ず事実とは思わないよ。
「俺様は書き言葉に興味ねーぞ、話し言葉だけを勉強すりゃええじゃん」という人向き教材のほうが多いけど、ちょっと考えれば、現代人が文語に通じて交流がもっと重要になったのではないでしょうか?
特に僕のような人だね、ポーランドには外人を見つけるのが難しいし、ぼくはふつうペンパルのサイトで外人と話すよ。
それに、話し言葉をよく勉強しないとだめだ。
中途半端なレベルでは何もできねーじゃねーか。
テレビの番組を理解出来ない

でも書き言葉なら、初級レベルの学習者でもなんとか自分の学んだことを利用できるさ。

Meera

Postby Meera » 2011-11-15, 5:52

Hello Everyone! I was reading about Burmese and I found some of these sites, hope they are useful for you:

Beginning Burmese Lessons
http://www.seasite.niu.edu/Burmese/Begi ... inning.htm

Burmese Script:
http://lrc.cornell.edu/asian/courses/bu ... criptanime

School Of African and Oreintal Studdies Burmese site: http://www.soas.ac.uk/sea/burmese/studymaterials/

Salika
http://www.salika.com/burmese/learnbur.html

A Grammar of Burmese
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/te ... 6.0001.001

BBC Burmese
http://www.bbc.co.uk/burmese/

A site for Burmese music:
http://www.seasite.niu.edu/burmese/Cult ... inment.htm

Radio Stations:
http://www.lyngsat.com/freeradio/Myanmar.html

http://radiostationworld.com/locations/Myanmar/

http://www.worldtvradio.com/radiotv/sta ... n03893.htm