Vietnamese learning resource.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Vietnamese learning resource.

Postby OldBoring » 2014-06-06, 4:03

księżycowy wrote:I just wanted to point out a resource for Southern Vietnamese:
Spoken Vietnamese

Southern Vietnamese? Wow.
I hadn''t see that a few posts above my previous question, there was already the answer! :oops: :mrgreen:

urjkeenz wrote:If you could just find a vietnamese friend to help you with the language, it's would be much more worth it. Vietnamese tends to enjoy the company of a foreigner. :wink:

Well, in my case no... Usually my Vietnamese friends laugh at how badly I pronounce really basic monosyllabic and dysillabic words, and then I don't end up learning anything.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-06-06, 10:21

Youngfun wrote:
księżycowy wrote:I just wanted to point out a resource for Southern Vietnamese:
Spoken Vietnamese

Southern Vietnamese? Wow.
I hadn''t see that a few posts above my previous question, there was already the answer! :oops: :mrgreen:

Yup. I've also heard that the FSI Vietnamese Basic Course is southern too, but I haven't verified this myself.

At any case, both of these are a bit dated, but they are plenty good enough to get a start. :wink:

BaoKieu

Postby BaoKieu » 2014-06-16, 10:43

I collected a list of Native content resources for Vietnamese learners

I think it will be helpful.
千里之行,始于足下
A journey of a thousand miles starts with one step
Laozi (6th Century BC)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-06-16, 10:53

księżycowy wrote:Yup. I've also heard that the FSI Vietnamese Basic Course is southern too, but I haven't verified this myself.
Consider it verified. I was flipping through it the other day, and while I don't recall it specifying the dialect, the phonology section makes it pretty clear it's Southern Vietnamese.

I might have the two volumes printed off and bound in a week or two.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2014-06-16, 15:09

księżycowy wrote:
księżycowy wrote:Yup. I've also heard that the FSI Vietnamese Basic Course is southern too, but I haven't verified this myself.
Consider it verified. I was flipping through it the other day, and while I don't recall it specifying the dialect, the phonology section makes it pretty clear it's Southern Vietnamese.

I might have the two volumes printed off and bound in a week or two.

Thank you very much! Maybe one day... when I'll decide to study viet...

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-06-16, 15:11

As always, happy to help!

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2015-03-08, 17:38

Is there any decent grammar book of Vietnamese you recommend to learners?
Thanks.
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2015-05-10, 8:56

I'm not very big on celebrating the Vietnamese-ness in me, but I enjoy sharing all the useless crap that I happen to know.
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

korn

Postby korn » 2016-01-22, 18:46

The previous post was deleted. But I consider this app to be very helpful (and not spam or advertising at all) and free at that:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... oun2794112

It helps learning the horrifcs of Vietnamese pronouns. Instead of going through some boring textbook, you have this tiny software to help you get the correct pronoun. It's definitely worth sharing.
Please correct all my mistakes, no matter how trivial they may seem to you, also, please help me to improve my phrases. Thank you in advance!
---
S'il vous plaît, corrigez toutes mes fautes, même si elles vous paraissent insignifiantes. Et aidez-moi, s'il vous plaît, à améliorer ma façon de m'exprimer. Merci d'avance!
---
Nếu tôi viết chỗ nào chưa đúng, dù là lỗi nhỏ hay nghiêm trọng, thì các bạn hãy sửa lại giúp tôi hoặc góp ý để tôi có thể học hỏi và rút kinh nghiệm. Cám ơn các bạn nhé!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-11, 13:09

For any one interested in Southern Vietnamese, I've found Professor Phạm Văn Giưỡng's Modern Vietnamese books available in pdf format here:
http://lrc.quangbinhuni.edu.vn:8181/dsp ... E1%BB%A1ng
There may even be more. I just started to mine the database. Unfortunately there is no audio. If nothing else if can give you an idea if you want to spend money to get these books or not.

I've also found a Vietnamese online book store that is available in ENGLISH!
https://www.fahasa.com/
And they just so happen to have all of the above mentioned books in stock. Unfortunately I couldn't find the other textbook series I was looking for (Giáo Trình Tiếng Việt Cho Người Nước Ngoài), but it's a very good start.

[Well, actually I have found the first two volumes of Giáo Trình Tiếng Việt Cho Người Nước Ngoài, but they were listed on all Vietnamese sites. And as I'm not even close to fluent, I can't really touch those sites (yet?).]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-11, 13:46

Ok, I'm officially confused. :P

In the pronunciation section of Modern Vietnamese, it gives Northern (what the author calls "Standard") pronunciation. I was under the impression that these books taught Southern, rather than Northern, Vietnamese...

The author does say "some regional differences are tolerated" or something to that effect. :dunno:

Whatever the case, I'm so glad that I got Spoken Vietnamese before Spoken Language Services closed down. I'm highly suspicious of Modern Vietnamese and the other books by the same author now that I've read that.

I'm also glad I was able to find a bookstore to use once I get my Vietnamese off the ground. :D

Return to “South East Asian Languages”