Headlines from روزامه

Moderator:eskandar

Dariush
Headlines from روزامه

Postby Dariush » 2017-05-01, 18:24

Shob Beh Kheir Dostaneh Azizam,
I've been frequenting a Persian news app called Roozameh for the past several weeks. it popped up the following headlines, and while I get the basic syntax of it, the vocabulary is still a mystery to me. Could anyone here please help me out translating these headlines? Kheiley Motshakeram!

١) اکر غلطی از مشولین رژیم صهیونیستی سر بزند
٢) راهیابی ایران به فینال جام جهانی کشتی آزاد
٣) تجمع سپرده‌گذاران کاسپین مقابل مجلس+عکس
۴‌) اصغر فرهادی - جدائی نادر از سیمین
‌‌۵) کره شمالی: منتظر رویداد بزرگ و مهمی بآشید

Plus, if anyone knows a good English_Farsi dictionary available online, love to hear about it.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Headlines from روزامه

Postby eskandar » 2017-05-02, 1:13

Your headlines seem to have some mistakes in them and be incomplete, which may be why you're having trouble understanding them.

1. اگر غلطی از مسئولین رژیم صهیونیستی سر بزند
If the leaders of [those responsible for] the Zionist regime make a mistake

2. Iran finds its way to the finals of the world cup of freestyle wrestling

3. Assembly of depositors of Caspian [credit institution] in front of the Majles [parliament] + pictures

4. Asghar Farhadi - A Separation [the literal title of the film is 'The Separation of Nader from Simin']

5. North Korea: Expect a big, important event

For online dictionaries see this thread. In particular Hayyim is very good for Persian>English and Farsi123 is good for English>Persian.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Dariush

Postby Dariush » 2017-05-02, 12:01

Thanks a lot! It's so weird for that news app to have mistakes, as it is Iranian, but you're probably right. A few questions:

1. What does the verb سر بزند mean? what are its past and present forms? If I understand the sentence correctly, the subject is غلطی (a mistake), so what does it literally mean?

2. Is the predicate کشتی آزاد or just آزاد?

5. If the predicate is بآشید in the imperative tense, how come the word منتظر is the subject?

Sorry for the nagging, thanks though :)

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-05-02, 21:54

1. it's the subjunctive of سر زدن which in this context means 'to appear'. You can see all the forms here by entering the infinitive سر زدن and pressing conjugate.

2. کشتی آزاد koshti-e aazaad is a noun phrase, with آزاد 'free' being an adjective modifying the noun کشتی 'wrestling,' making the compound 'freestyle wrestling.' I phrased it with a verb in my translation to make it more idiomatic, but a somewhat more literal gloss would be "the way-finding of Iran to the final of the world cup of freestyle wrestling."

5. منتظر is not the subject. The verb is منتظر بودن in the imperative tense: "expect!" or "anticipate!" or more literally, "be waiting for!" Does that help?

Dariush

Postby Dariush » 2017-05-08, 11:47

Got it!! Thank you so much. The website looks great. مرسی

Dariush

Re: Short questions

Postby Dariush » 2017-08-04, 20:43

Hello everyone,
I just saw these following headlines on روزامه and wondered if someone could spell out the syntex of them:
١. چرا احمدی‌نژاد رد صلاحیت شد؟ = Why has Ahmedinejad become powerless?
٢. همراه اول دلیل مسدود شدن تماس صوتی تلگرام‌را علام کرد؟ = how come the infinitive شدن is in the middle of the entire sentence? Where does مسدود شدن fit in the sentence which ends with علام کرد?
٣. برنامه‌های امروز نامزدها در صدا و سیما = obviously there's no predicate here.
۴. رویارویی قایق‌های تندوری ایران با ناوشکن آمریکا در خلیج‌فارس = I suppose the vocabulary is the tricky part of the sentence.

Thanks in advance,
Dariush

Dariush

Postby Dariush » 2017-08-04, 20:54

Hello everyone,
After reading through the روزامه app, I jotted down these sentences. Can anyone help me out with them?
تصاویر بدل ایرانی لیونل مسی
خطر آبگرگفتی و سیلاب برای ١١ استان کشور / ۴ استان کشور زیر چتر گرد و خاک = Is استان the numberative for کشور؟
پر شورترین و هیجان انگیزترین دیالوگ فیلم‌های معروف = is شورت an adjective meaning Short? I hope it's not a silly question.

Thank you everyone!

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-08-05, 0:53

تصاویر بدل ایرانی لیونل مسی
Images of Lionel Messi's Iranian equivalent

خطر آبگرگفتی و سیلاب برای ١١ استان کشور / ۴ استان کشور زیر چتر گرد و خاک
Danger of inundation and flood for 11 provinces of the country / 4 provinces of the country under an umbrella of dust and dirt

Is استان the numberative for کشور؟

Good guess! But no, and I don't recall ever seeing a numerative classifier used with کشور. When in doubt, look at the article to gain greater context. In this case you'll see that it's all talking about Iran, so ۱۱ استان کشور should be read as "11 provinces of the country" rather than "11 countries".

پر شورترین و هیجان انگیزترین دیالوگ فیلم‌های معروف
The most dramatic and exciting dialogues of famous films

is شورت an adjective meaning Short? I hope it's not a silly question.

There are no silly questions in language learning. Here the word is por-shoor-tarin, from پر 'full' + شور 'excitement, fervor, zeal' + ترین 'most' (as in بهترین). Incidentally there is a word شورت in Persian borrowed from English, used to refer to shorts (short pants).

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Short questions

Postby eskandar » 2017-08-05, 1:22

رد صلاحیت means 'disqualified'
چرا احمدی‌نژاد رد صلاحیت شد؟ - Why was Ahmadinejad disqualified?

همراه اول دلیل مسدود شدن تماس صوتی تلگرام‌ را علام اعلام کرد - Hamrah-e Avval [the name of a mobile operator in Iran] announced [اعلام کرد] the reason [دلیل] for the obstruction [مسدود شدن] of voice contact [تماس صوتی] on Telegram
Infinitives can be treated as nouns in Persian. For example, خواندن سخت است "reading is hard". Here مسدود شدن is a noun and the verb اعلان کردن comes at the end of the sentence.

برنامه‌های امروز نامزدها در صدا و سیما - Today's programs: candidates on Seda va Sima

رویارویی قایق‌های تندوری ایران با ناوشکن آمریکا در خلیج‌فارس - Iranian speedboats encounter (رویارویی) American destroyer in the Persian Gulf
قایق تندرو speedboat (from قایق 'small boat', with تند 'fast' + رو [stem from رفتن] = 'fast-moving')
ناوشکن destroyer (from ناو 'boat' cognate with English 'navy' etc. + شکن 'breaking' [stem from شکستن]
NB: the more literal translation would be "an encounter of Iranian speedboats with the American destroyer in the Persian Gulf" but I rendered it in more natural English headline-ese ;)

Dariush

Postby Dariush » 2017-08-05, 21:39

Thanks, eskandar!
I guess it's obvious شورت never meant Short, since the word has the suffix ترین.
And do you know what numerative is in use for ‌کشور?
Finally, thanks for the first sentence too - the word بدل really seemed out of place.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-08-06, 3:57

My pleasure! What I meant in my previous comment is that no numerative is used with کشور . So دو جلد کتاب or سه نفر ایرانی but just چهار کشور .

Dariush

Postby Dariush » 2017-08-19, 13:51

Hi everyone,
I saw a few more headlines:

لغو روادید ایران و قرقیزستان تا یک‌ماه دیگر

رونمایی از وعده ٢۵٠ هزار تومانی قالیباف = I'm pretty sure Kalibaf was the mayor of Tehran and ran for presidency just now.

ترامپ در فکر تشدید سیاست‌های خود علیه ایران \ آیا تحریم‌های جدید در راهند؟

آغاز توزیع اینترنتی کارت کنکور کارشناسی ارشد از ساعت ١٣ امروز = The beginning of internet distribution?

امانوئل مکرون: شگفتی انتخابات فرانسه

راه یابی ماکرون و لوپن به دور دوم انتخابات فرانسه = Macron and Le Penn's way to the second round of the French elections?

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-08-20, 7:12

لغو روادید ایران و قرقیزستان تا یک‌ماه دیگر - cancellation of visa [requirements] for Iran and Kyrgyzstan for one month

رونمایی از وعده ٢۵٠ هزار تومانی قالیباف - presentation in the amount of 250 thousand tomans [from] Qalibaf

ترامپ در فکر تشدید سیاست‌های خود علیه ایران \ آیا تحریم‌های جدید در راهند؟ - Trump is thinking of intensifying his policy against Iran / are new sanctions on the way?

آغاز توزیع اینترنتی کارت کنکور کارشناسی ارشد از ساعت ١٣ امروز - the beginning of online distribution of Master's Konkur [exam] cards from 13:00 today [on]

امانوئل مکرون: شگفتی انتخابات فرانسه - Emmanuel Macron: the wonder of France's elections

راه یابی ماکرون و لوپن به دور دوم انتخابات فرانسه - well done, you got it exactly right!

Dariush

Postby Dariush » 2017-08-21, 9:42

eskandar wrote:لغو روادید ایران و قرقیزستان تا یک‌ماه دیگر - cancellation of visa [requirements] for Iran and Kyrgyzstan for one month

رونمایی از وعده ٢۵٠ هزار تومانی قالیباف - presentation in the amount of 250 thousand tomans [from] Qalibaf

ترامپ در فکر تشدید سیاست‌های خود علیه ایران \ آیا تحریم‌های جدید در راهند؟ - Trump is thinking of intensifying his policy against Iran / are new sanctions on the way?

آغاز توزیع اینترنتی کارت کنکور کارشناسی ارشد از ساعت ١٣ امروز - the beginning of online distribution of Master's Konkur [exam] cards from 13:00 today [on]

امانوئل مکرون: شگفتی انتخابات فرانسه - Emmanuel Macron: the wonder of France's elections

راه یابی ماکرون و لوپن به دور دوم انتخابات فرانسه - well done, you got it exactly right!

Thanks!
1. What does the last word دیگر mean? Is it in non-literate Farsi?

2. I assume رونمایی ends with the indefinite article ی, so how do they actually say "presentation"? رونما doesn't look right, so is it رونم?

3. Does خود علیه mean Against? Does it derive by any chance from Arabic?
Plus, why would the روزامه reporters say راهند? Isn't ند the ending of plural, 3rd body verbs? I'd expect it to be راه‌شان or راه‌ش.

4. Is ارشد the predicate of آغاز?

6. Thanks a bunch! But what does the 2nd word یابی mean? Is it an adjective for راه?

Good day Eskandar!!

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-08-21, 17:44

No problem!

1. ‌No, it's a normal literary word. (The colloquial equivalent would be دیگه). Here it means "another" so یک ماه دیگر literally means "one more month" or "another month" but in this context تا یک ماه دیگر means "til next month" (maybe I should have translated it that way).

2. رونمایی is a word by itself, without the indefinite article. Here it is instead the noun-forming ی ending, ex. تنها (adjective, "alone") vs. تنهایی (noun, "aloneness/loneliness")

3. علیه means "against" and does come from Arabic. خود refers back to the policies - it's the word I translated as "his" here.
آیا تحریم‌ها در راهند؟
آیا - forms yes/no question
تحریم‌های جدید - new sanctions
در - on
راهند is not a verb. It's made up of راه ("the way") and ند (short for اند from هستند) meaning "they are". As you probably know, in literary Persian you can form a yes/no question by adding آیا to the beginning of a declarative statement. If we remove آیا here it becomes a statement:
تحریم‌های در راهند
new sanctions are on the way
and here the "are" part is communicated by ند
For example: آنها خوب هستند can be shortened to آنها خوبند . Does that help?

4. ارشد is also not a verb. It's an adjective meaning "elder, senior" and کارشناسی ارشد means "master's degree" (the ارشد part means "master's" here).

6. یابی means "finding" and comes from the verb یافتن "to find". So another way to translate the sentence would be:
Macron and Le Pen finding their way to the second round of the French elections.

Dariush

Postby Dariush » 2017-09-04, 7:09

Once again, thank you very, very much!!

Return to “Persian/Farsi (فارسی)”